Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2002 8:11:52 PM EDT
[url]http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=\\Culture\\archive\\200204\\CUL20020402a.html[/url]

Deaf Lesbians Criticized For Efforts to Create Deaf Child
By Matt Pyeatt
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
April 02, 2002

(CNSNews.com) - A leading pro-family organization is questioning attempts by a Suburban Washington, D.C. lesbian couple to deliberately create a deaf child.

Candy McCullough and Sharon Duchesneau of North Bethesda, Md. said they did everything possible to make sure their newborn son is deaf by specifically seeking and obtaining a sperm donor for artificial insemination who has a lengthy family history of deafness.

But one group has made it clear it disagrees with the women's choice to produce children with disabilities, not to mention raising them in a homosexual household.

"This couple has effectively decided that their desire to have a deaf child is of more concern to them than is the burden they are placing on their son," Ken Connor, president of the Family Research Council, said.

"To intentionally give a child a disability, in addition to all the disadvantages that come as a result of being raised in a homosexual household, is incredibly selfish," Connor said.

McCullough and Duchesneau, who were featured in a cover story of the Washington Post Magazine March 31, already have a daughter who was designed to be deaf and they're hoping their son Gauvin is deaf as well. Duchesneau is the mother of both children.

Because the child is a newborn infant, it will take several months until an audiologist can determine whether Gauvin can or cannot hear.

The women, however, insisted that it is not of utmost important that Gauvin is deaf, but they would like their son to have the same disability as the rest of the family.

Duchesneau hopes the family's deafness stays intact. "He'd be the only hearing member of the family. Other than the cats," she told the Washington Post Magazine.

McCullough was more direct in her hopes that their son would be deaf. "I would say that we wanted to increase our chances of having a baby who is deaf," she said in an interview with the Post.

But Connor said it was wrong to attempt to produce a deaf child and that serious challenges against the traditional definition of family were taking place.

"This reduces the father to a mere inseminator, raises the prospects of donor shopping and designer genes, and turns a baby into a trophy," Connor said.

An official with the Family Research Council said the group's opposition to deliberately creating deaf children would not change if the couple were heterosexual.

McCullough told the Post that families should have the right to seek sperm donors from anyone in order to be comfortable with the culture of the family.

"Some people look at it like, 'Oh my gosh, you shouldn't have a child who has a disability'. But, you know, black people have harder lives. Why shouldn't parents be able to go ahead and pick a black donor if that's what they want," McCullough asked rhetorically.
\sb100\sa100"They should have that option. They can feel related to that culture, bonded with that culture," McCullough said.

But Connor disagrees when it comes to deliberately trying to create children with the burdens of physical disabilities.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
"We've seen many parents try to ensure they create children possessing a certain trait, however, this couple has sought to create a child so that he does not possess a certain trait - in this case, the ability to hear," Connor said.

"One can only hope that this practice of intentionally manufacturing disabled children in order to fit the lifestyles of the parents will not progress any further," Connor said.

The women were quick to point out that they would not be disappointed if Gauvin could hear but were just as clear in telling the Post that they preferred him to be deaf.

"A hearing baby would be a blessing," Duchesneau said. "A deaf baby would be a special blessing."

Connor hopes the practice of designing babies is stopped. "The places this slippery slope could lead are frightening," he said.

REPLIES TO CYBERCAST NEWS SERVICE FOLLOWS

Deaf Lesbians Try to Create Deaf Child

"As a deaf person who has been isolated in a hearing world all his life, I will venture to say it won't be 'a special blessing' for the child who is born deaf.

Self-centeredness has fallen to a new low here."

David F.
Peoria, IL

"This story really (angered me.) The number one thing that 99.9% of parents want most for their children is for them to have the greatest opportunity to succeed in life, but not this... couple.

It should be illegal to intentionally create a child who is disabled. This is nothing but child abuse plain and simple. If they really want everyone in the family to be the same, why are they having a male child in a group of females?

Where is child protective services when they are needed? I guess it wouldn't be politically correct to remove children from a homosexual couple."

Robert M.
Ft Worth, TX

"I am a legally deaf, 31-year old male. For the life of me, I can't understand why these girls want their child deaf. It is a living Hell.

Society may accept us, but that does not matter when you have to ask someone to repeat what they say."

Lloyd C.
Pentress, WV

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Unf#@cking believable. Should they line up to drink the koolaid, or should we?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
That is some messed up sh*t!

At least the replies at the bottom showed some common sense....

Damned crazy lesbian child shoppers[whacko]

I hope the kid ISN'T deaf and grows up and beats the living sh*t out of these horrible "parents"...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Self-centeredness: this is the calling card of liberals in general, gay, straight, or deaf.  This should come as no suprise, just watch the West Wing, Phil Donohue, Oprah, etc...  They believe that anyone who doesn't think or act the way they do should be silenced.  I had two separate conversations with a liberal customer of mine.  In one, he gleefully expressed to me how he hoped Rush Limbaugh's hearing loss would silence him forever and that he wouldn't be able to go on with his show.  A few months later, remembering his comments about Rush, I said that I hoped that Rosie O'Donnell's  "coming out of the closet" would lead to her losing her audience and the cancellation of her show...the guy hit the ceiling and threatened to throw me out of his house until I reminded him of what he said about Rush.  They are so predictable and transparent.  As far as these two reprehensible women go, the fact that they are gay troubles me a lot less that the fact that they are deliberately trying to criple an innocent baby.  What do you expect from people who are so in love with themselves.  Let's call it what it is...PURE EVIL!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Because the child is a newborn infant, it will take several months until an audiologist can determine whether Gauvin can or cannot hear.
View Quote

And if the child IS born with perfect hearing - these selfish degenerate dykes will probably poke a pencil in the baby's ears "by accident".

Sickening.  

"But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. " ~ Matthew 18:6
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How long will it take to file for disability benefits (SSI) after it is determined the child can't hear?  We get to pay for this madness.  Forever.  [pissed]
View Quote

They shouldn't be allowed disability because
the disability was INTENTIONALLY INDUCED!!
Don't get me wrong,I've got NOTHING against
handicap people(my aunt has MS and is mentally retarted)But these people are CRAZY!!(the lesibans)It seems that they are looking for the check in the mail.And I bet that they
file for it too.The child is innocent(and should recive benifits),but the lesibans should be burned alive for doing this to a child on purpose.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Damned crazy lesbian child shoppers[whacko]

lmao!

what the hell is wrong with these people.  i cant figure out why any person would want their child to be deaf.  thats absurd!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Freakin Homo's!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#10]
They probably look at raising children as a political statement, like Rosie O'Donnell does.  Kind of like "See? Homosexuals can be parents too."

My friend's mom is a lesbian, but she got her kids the old fashioned way, and then realized she was gay and changed lifestyles.  BTW, it was a really nutty household, but the kids seem OK to me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm so f*cking mad.

I just emailed this story to Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney.  I know it probably won't make a hill of beans, but maybe it's outrageous enough that an aid will mention it to them.

LIBERALS = FREAKS

Tate

KTALGSTO
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#12]
These people don't deserve to keep the kid they have, much less another one.

[frag]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone have any confirmation on this story?  It sounds too wierd to be true.

[?]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Whaddaya expect from someoen named Sharon Duche???

Actually, America went to hell, and was turned away. Upon America's return to earth, Satan sent Rosie O'Donnell as a more suitable punishment.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#15]
At least the poor little kid won't have to hear a bunch of shit from other kids,about 2 moms and no dad...
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
That is the biggest bullsh*t i have ever heard, and I live in SE OH so i hear loads of it. Shouldn't/isn't this illegal? If it isn't, is should be. These are the kind of people I would like to shoot. They deserve much worse.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I sat here for several minutes trying to come up with the words to describe how angry things like this make me...but I couldn't do it...

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
This has to be the absolute height of selfishness.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
"Some people look at it like, 'Oh my gosh, you shouldn't have a child who has a disability'. But, you know, black people have harder lives. Why shouldn't parents be able to go ahead and pick a black donor if that's what they want," McCullough asked rhetorically.
View Quote

I wonder if she's ever asked any black people if they'd rather be white and deaf. [:(!]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]
You'd think that a lesbian couple would want to breed a child who couldn't SMELL.[@:D]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#22]
You'd think that a lesbian couple would want to breed a child who couldn't SMELL
Schnert
View Quote

Bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!   ROTFLMAO
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
AMERICA HAS OFFICIALLY GONE TO HELL
View Quote

HEY! Why are we in this basket and why is it getting so hot around here?
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#24]
This is just wrong, no question.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't care what your sexual preference is... but making sure your baby is deaf is sick.

I don't know of many deaf people that WANT a deaf child. Many of the deaf people I know are glad when their child has some sort of hearing, even if it is minimal.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#26]
freaks, all of them. and we will see much more of this type of behavior in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top