"It's not art, unless I say it's art."

There's the elitism I was waiting for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Art is the expression of an idea that speaks to another individual. The deeper the idea resonates, the higher the artistic achievement.
The mode of expression is largely irrelevant except as to one's taste.
With the entirety of the universe, both past, present and future, the panoply of all of humanity's endeavors and the very concept of eternity to draw upon...machines are welcome to join in.
I just hope they're prepared to get their feelings hurt...

I think your definition is too broad.  If the expression of an idea that deeply speaks to another is art, then a patent application is art, cad drawings are art and quantum computing is art; since they each express an idea which is meaningful and "speaks" to or inspires someone.  

I agree that art does have to convey and idea and do so successfully, but there is a measure of artistic skill that has to be involved.  I can look at two paintings and articulate the differences in artistic skill.  The same can be said for music and literature.  There is a subjective component to art based on what the observer "likes" or prefers.  For example, you can like a piece of art lacking in artistic skill.  Likewise, you can think that Beethoven or DaVinci suck (many people do).  The preference of the observer doesn't detract from the artistic skill of those artists and generally speaking, up until the middle of the 20th century, people preferred art that reflected artistic skill, as well as profound artistic expression.

With AI generated art, you can't tell the difference in the degree of artistic skill that was put into it.  Was the prompt to create an AI generated image a lengthy and thoughtful expression or just one lazy line of text?  Who knows? The AI may be able to render a beautiful image or song, but it may be devoid of all meaning and expression.  Tricking a population into believing there is meaning or expression in something that lacks both, is how you end up with apathetic, miserable people.  We're already seeing the consequences of this without the help of AI.  Look at what's popular in the culture presently and then reflect on how miserable people are in general.

To sum it up, if everything is art, than nothing is art.

Explain how I'm wrong - or call me an elitist - or whatever.

BTW - I think it's funny that you were waiting for 6 pages just to crack open that gem
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If all you do is press a button on a camera you didnt make shit.
View Quote

Fortunately, we have legal precedence to guide us on this one.

Remember this shot?

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
To the "it can just do on screen stuff" people - does writing not mean ANYTHING to you?
View Quote
I'm not one of those people, but writing does mean something to me, and I think your original assertion that people don't care how art is made is off-base.

I was a big Stone Temple Pilots fan in the 90s, but I stopped caring for them after that. Recently, however, I discovered their 2001 album Shangri-La Dee Da. I think it's one of their best ever, and whenever something strikes me like that I always go back and explore the writing. Who wrote the lyrics? What were the circumstances that inspired the writer? Is there anything deeper that can be understood about the subject matter? These are all questions I ask, and if I read that the lyrics were generated by AI I'd be disappointed. It would take away from my enjoyment of the album if I found out that the lyrics were not directly tied to the writer's specific life experiences, and written by his own hand. I do care.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I see your point but those are decorations.  Art can be a decoration too.  But a decoration is not automatically art.
View Quote
I have a much stronger emotional response to a 3 view schematic of the starship Enterprise than I do to Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party.  I imagine that's the case for many of the people hanging a blueprint of Wrigley Field or what have you.  The ship and the stadium and so on were designed to create an emotional response to begin with and do even if presented out of context, and if you include your history of watching the ship on TV with friends as a kid or going to a ballgame with dad even a fairly sterile technical drawing evokes very strong emotion.  That's not mere decor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]

I did not waste a semester studying ancient japanese, chinese and indian art history

it enriches my prompt writing!

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
AI won't kill actual art anymore than photoshop killed photography
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a much stronger emotional response to a 3 view schematic of the starship Enterprise than I do to Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party.  I imagine that's the case for many of the people hanging a blueprint of Wrigley Field or what have you.  The ship and the stadium and so on were designed to create an emotional response to begin with and do even if presented out of context, and if you include your history of watching the ship on TV with friends as a kid or going to a ballgame with dad even a fairly sterile technical drawing evokes very strong emotion.  That's not mere decor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see your point but those are decorations.  Art can be a decoration too.  But a decoration is not automatically art.

I get what your saying, I think it's a definitional difference.  I built models as a kid.  I have an emotional attachment to them and they elicit an emotional response for me when I see them.  However, I would not refer to them as sculptures nor myself an artist.  Another example is Legos.  I played with them as a kid.  I play with them now with my kids.  This elicits emotional responses for a multitude of reasons but I would not consider myself a Lego artist.  I do think people who create remarkable Lego sculptures that demonstrate great skill beyond most Lego "builders" are artists and that is a form of art.  But the dividing factor is the application of skill to create something truly unique.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I get what your saying, I think it's a definitional difference.  I built models as a kid.  I have an emotional attachment to them and they elicit an emotional response for me when I see them.  However, I would not refer to them as sculptures nor myself an artist.  Another example is Legos.  I played with them as a kid.  I play with them now with my kids.  This elicits emotional responses for a multitude of reasons but I would not consider myself a Lego artist.  I do think people who create remarkable Lego sculptures that demonstrate great skill beyond most Lego "builders" are artists and that is a form of art.  But the dividing factor is the application of skill to create something truly unique.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assure you it takes skill to draw schematics and CAD drawings.  Does the subject (or the method) have to be unique?  That would seem to disqualify the vast majority of still lifes.  The traditional bowl of fruit for instance.  I'm told Warhol's Tomato Soup is art but confess I can't tell the difference between that and any other period grocery store flyer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, on screen stuff is all AI does.
Does not paint or sculpt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look I really dont care that much about photography. Not really what I'm talking about.

Well, on screen stuff is all AI does.
Does not paint or sculpt

Well…

3D Vertical Wall Printing Machine,Vertical 3D Wall Inkjet Printer

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many people literally buy and display patent applications as art.  Usually just the illustration, but sometimes the description.  And CAD drawing wall art is popular in aviation, science fiction, and architecture.

There are thousands of examples.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/095321E9-4265-4C90-8BF2-CD697FF94690_jpe-3136518.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/DA5F9F7D-D9E4-4B0F-884D-6C065742A4E6_jpe-3136519.JPG

So only some visual depictions of something created by the human mind are capable of being considered art?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

BTW - I think it's funny that you were waiting for 6 pages just to crack open that gem
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Art is the expression of an idea that speaks to another individual. The deeper the idea resonates, the higher the artistic achievement.
With the entirety of the universe, both past, present and future, the panoply of all of humanity's endeavors and the very concept of eternity to draw upon...machines are welcome to join in.

I think your definition is too broad.  If the expression of an idea that deeply speaks to another is art, then a patent application is art, cad drawings are art and quantum computing is art; since they each express an idea which is meaningful and "speaks" to or inspires someone.  

I agree that art does have to convey and idea and do so successfully, but there is a measure of artistic skill that has to be involved.  I can look at two paintings and articulate the differences in artistic skill.  The same can be said for music and literature.  There is a subjective component to art based on what the observer "likes" or prefers.  For example, you can like a piece of art lacking in artistic skill.  Likewise, you can think that Beethoven or DaVinci suck (many people do).  The preference of the observer doesn't detract from the artistic skill of those artists and generally speaking, up until the middle of the 20th century, people preferred art that reflected artistic skill, as well as profound artistic expression.

With AI generated art, you can't tell the difference in the degree of artistic skill that was put into it.  Was the prompt to create an AI generated image a lengthy and thoughtful expression or just one lazy line of text?  Who knows? The AI may be able to render a beautiful image or song, but it may be devoid of all meaning and expression.  Tricking a population into believing there is meaning or expression in something that lacks both, is how you end up with apathetic, miserable people.  We're already seeing the consequences of this without the help of AI.  Look at what's popular in the culture presently and then reflect on how miserable people are in general.

I takes a while to read all the posts.

See above post on the "elitism" I was addressing. Not calling you that, you're just talking like it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So only some visual depictions of something created by the human mind are capable of being considered art?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many people literally buy and display patent applications as art.  Usually just the illustration, but sometimes the description.  And CAD drawing wall art is popular in aviation, science fiction, and architecture.

There are thousands of examples.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/095321E9-4265-4C90-8BF2-CD697FF94690_jpe-3136518.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/DA5F9F7D-D9E4-4B0F-884D-6C065742A4E6_jpe-3136519.JPG

Maybe. What I know is: AI "creations" are inhuman, subhuman, unhuman, and suck an enormous, plagiarized cock.
Fuck AI "art" and the fucking scumbag "artists" that "create" it. May they burn in the hottest part of hell for eternity.
The faster the market rejects these spectral abortions, the better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not one of those people, but writing does mean something to me, and I think your original assertion that people don't care how art is made is off-base.

I was a big Stone Temple Pilots fan in the 90s, but I stopped caring for them after that. Recently, however, I discovered their 2001 album Shangri-La Dee Da. I think it's one of their best ever, and whenever something strikes me like that I always go back and explore the writing. Who wrote the lyrics? What were the circumstances that inspired the writer? Is there anything deeper that can be understood about the subject matter? These are all questions I ask, and if I read that the lyrics were generated by AI I'd be disappointed. It would take away from my enjoyment of the album if I found out that the lyrics were not directly tied to the writer's specific life experiences, and written by his own hand. I do care.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I assure you it takes skill to draw schematics and CAD drawings.  Does the subject (or the method) have to be unique?  That would seem to disqualify the vast majority of still lifes.  The traditional bowl of fruit for instance.  I'm told Warhol's Tomato Soup is art but confess I can't tell the difference between that and any other period grocery store flyer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't doubt the skill required for CAD.  I also don't doubt the skill of a surgeon, an astrophysicist or an expert marksman.  I just don't consider the results of any of those unique skill sets to be "art."  There are good still lifes that most would struggle to replicate and those that are a poor representation of the model or subject.  Again the subject or method is irrelevant.  What is relevant is the remarkable level of skill that is clearly evident in the end result.  I agree with your assessment of Warhol and attribute his popularity to the post modernist movement, which is responsible for creating ugly, ugly art and architecture, among other things.

Here's a good example.  Both are an example of the "artist's" very best effort:

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You just created a visual depiction of language and text.  Is it art?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like a book?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Remember this shot?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Macaca_nigra_self-portrait_large.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember this shot?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Macaca_nigra_self-portrait_large.jpg

Precedence means "priority of importance." Precedent means "an earlier example."

AI knows that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

See above post on the "elitism" I was addressing. Not calling you that, you're just talking like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just trying to pin down what art is based on a definitional level as well as historical.  Thanks for not directly calling me an elitist, I guess
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Like a book?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like a book?

Did he write a book?  It looks like a post in an internet forum.

This is actually a good comparison.   AI generated images are "art" as much as a post on an online forum is a "book."
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#21]
AI images like that still represent the goofy stage of AI art. Just scratches the surface.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did the AI decide to write music or a screenplay on its own? There is still the same “art director/producer” thought process being employed by the human.

There are so many projects that I have in my head that I would love to create, but I just don’t have the time to master the production methods. If AI can get me 75% there in a fraction of the time, it would open up so many options.

Don’t romanticize method, celebrate results.

View Quote

“The ends justify the means”

Typing in prompts to a program created by someone else isn’t creating anything.  It’s shallow, uninspiring and lacks effort.

“I don’t have time to master the methods” sounds like the kids I teach.  They want a shortcut because putting in effort is hard and time consuming.  They simply want an output, a result.

And predictably, their output is shit.  Like AI art is.

The process is how the human mind grows, sharpens and improves.  It’s how our culture and society improved over time.  

There’s a reason our first world cultures have become increasingly stale, crass and vulgar since computers and especially the internet has appeared on the scene.  They dull the mind and senses, shortcut the effort that results in growth and take some of what made humanity so interesting away.

I can appreciate a 2000 year old statue much more than a cheap image or manuscript generated from an emotionless program.

Why care about the results when they’re vapid and meaningless?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Typing in prompts to a program created by someone else isn’t creating anything.  It’s shallow, uninspiring and lacks effort.

“I don’t have time to master the methods” sounds like the kids I teach.  They want a shortcut because putting in effort is hard and time consuming.  They simply want an output, a result.

The process is how the human mind grows, sharpens and improves.  It’s how our culture and society improved over time.  

There’s a reason our first world cultures have become increasingly stale, crass and vulgar since computers and especially the internet has appeared on the scene.  They dull the mind and senses, shortcut the effort that results in growth and take some of what made humanity so interesting away.

I can appreciate a 2000 year old statue much more than a cheap image or manuscript generated from an emotionless program.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the AI decide to write music or a screenplay on its own? There is still the same “art director/producer” thought process being employed by the human.

There are so many projects that I have in my head that I would love to create, but I just don’t have the time to master the production methods. If AI can get me 75% there in a fraction of the time, it would open up so many options.

Don’t romanticize method, celebrate results.

Do you create or just consume?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I agree. I’ve posted about it here too. AI will ruin visual art, cheapen and whore over everything.

It’s going to be one of the most demoralizing things in human history.

However, most people are just homo sapiens animals, they won’t notice or care as long as Nextflix, Door Dash and Pornhub work. Not every person has a soul, most don’t.
View Quote

NPC's that's what most people are, substance less , shallow, insipid.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think my sentence could be classified as form of poetry, so no, I do not think it rates as "art".  

Quoted:

I'm just trying to pin down what art is based on a definitional level as well as historical.  Thanks for not directly calling me an elitist, I guess
View Quote

I'm not indirectly calling you an elitist either.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I agree. I’ve posted about it here too. AI will ruin visual art, cheapen and whore over everything.

It’s going to be one of the most demoralizing things in human history.

However, most people are just homo sapiens animals, they won’t notice or care as long as Nextflix, Door Dash and Pornhub work. Not every person has a soul, most don’t.
View Quote

You’re decades late, visual art has already been cheapened by the advent of digital tools and clients hiring out artists for cheap jobs, as well as the public consuming very unimpressive forms of art (ie low tier anime porn/furries)
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a big difference between human made derivative, crappy, uninspired media and AI. Once that ship sails it's all over and it'll all be derivative.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Someone made a comparison to photography.

While it’s not quite the same thing, I’ll admit, one certainly isn’t getting the photo that the camera took once you put it into any effects program to alter it.

I dunno. I guess my larger point was that people balk at the new thing that’s scary (AI is, just not in this instance) while they don’t realize they are surrounded by similar things already that they are fine with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ansel Adams is not photography?

Someone made a comparison to photography.

While it’s not quite the same thing, I’ll admit, one certainly isn’t getting the photo that the camera took once you put it into any effects program to alter it.

I dunno. I guess my larger point was that people balk at the new thing that’s scary (AI is, just not in this instance) while they don’t realize they are surrounded by similar things already that they are fine with.

You are basically saying that Ansel Adams prints are bastardized nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I already explained why using software and other tools is fine and already widely used to make art. Not the same as AI.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Do you create or just consume?
View Quote

I do both.

I’ve worked with photography.  Photoshop shit bored me.  Too easy to shoot shitty shots and fix it later.  Digital photography is just uninteresting.  I much prefer film and understanding how the light affects the film, shutter speed, etc.  

I brew my own beer and mead, using traditional methods and eschew the all in one electric brewing methods, no touch home breweries.  I enjoy the process of crafting the beer and finding ways to eek out additional flavor, color, complexity, etc.  Beer is just an benefit of the process.

I cook, and create much of my own recipes.

I’ve worked with wood for years.  I’ve made my own table, chairs, desk.  I’ve designed and built multiple barns.  I’ve never used a computer or program to assist me.

I play guitar and banjo.  I suck, but thats ok because I get a bit better each time I practice.  I don’t have to play perfectly.

Each one of these things, I was terrible when I first started.  I have worked at them for years, on and off.  I’ll never be a master of any of them.  And that’s ok.  Perfect results aren’t necessary to enjoy something.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#33]
But Kitties!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm not indirectly calling you an elitist either.
View Quote

Thanks - it was never my intention to be.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Good photography takes a heluvalot more than just pressing a button.
EDIT: See Avatar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, people use tools. But if all you're doing is inputting a prompt you didn't make shit.

Good photography takes a heluvalot more than just pressing a button.
EDIT: See Avatar

Nice. You take that with your phone?

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There's a big difference between human made derivative, crappy, uninspired media and AI. Once that ship sails it's all over and it'll all be derivative.
View Quote

That won’t be the case. People still go to live music performances instead of listening to recordings or streaming. People still pay good money for handcrafted watches, knives, clothing instead of something shit out from an automated assembly line. People still go to gourmet/michelin restaurants instead of getting fast food or chain restaurants. The same will exist for art and photography.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That won’t be the case. People still go to live music performances instead of listening to recordings or streaming. People still pay good money for handcrafted watches, knives, clothing instead of something shit out from an automated assembly line. People still go to gourmet/michelin restaurants instead of getting fast food or chain restaurants. The same will exist for art and photography.
View Quote

I get that. The issue is that AI will be used for things that people don't even notice. And when those things dominate the market it'll take over.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#39]

i should tile my office with this

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#41]

It's pretty much revolutionized a certain fandom.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

She's got man hands though, so wouldn't hit.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

She's got man hands though, so wouldn't hit.

View Quote

You're an art enjoyer. If Bolt 2 was 100% made by AI would that bother you? The writing, voice acting, 3d rendering, etc.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're an art enjoyer. If Bolt 2 was 100% made by AI would that bother you? The writing, voice acting, 3d rendering, etc.
View Quote

It would, just because I have a pretty good relationship with voice actors.

It's a weird grey area, where you could feed in every Spongebob episode into AI and it could perfectly mimic Tom Kenny.

Is it okay if Tom gets paid for that?  If he licenses his voice or gets paid scale?  

How much is AI worth?  Full scale, half scale, quarter scale?

The other thing too is, I've seen AI artwork where I can tell which artists they fed into the AI.

They have a certain style and it's recognizable.

So it's definitely a form of theft.

Currently it's the Wild West and structures and safeguards need to corral AI and protect creators.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It would, just because I have a pretty good relationship with voice actors.

It's a weird grey area, where you could feed in every Spongebob episode into AI and it could perfectly mimic Tom Kenny.

Is it okay if Tom gets paid for that?  If he licenses his voice or gets paid scale?  

How much is AI worth?  Full scale, half scale, quarter scale?

The other thing too is, I've seen AI artwork where I can tell which artists they fed into the AI.

They have a certain style and it's recognizable.

So it's definitely a form of theft.

Currently it's the Wild West and structures and safeguards need to corral AI and protect creators.

View Quote

Interesting angle.

Would it bother you also in a more philosophical aspect in regards to art and humanity? Or is it just the business side?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Interesting angle.

Would it bother you also in a more philosophical aspect in regards to art and humanity? Or is it just the business side?
View Quote

I haven't really thought too much on it, but my pragmatic sides thinks that since humanity made AI and AI needs to be fed human artwork/pics/data to work...we're still kind of doing the heavy lifting.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Arguably the most altered photo in the digital age.

Can you alter this photo with AI?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think AI is going to push humans to find (relocate)the purely human aspects of art making
View Quote

Hmm.
Page / 9
Top Top