Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nobody ever said our enemies were smart.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice wood armor.

It works fine for lots of weapons.  Just not any weapon that any sane person would use against a tank in modern times.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Z is a symbol for the Russian invasion. They also use white, red, silver, and/or O, V, Z, etc

Ukrainians use yellow, green, blue, the trident spear, or the white cross as symbols .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression the Z meant western.

Z is a symbol for the Russian invasion. They also use white, red, silver, and/or O, V, Z, etc

Ukrainians use yellow, green, blue, the trident spear, or the white cross as symbols .

Early on there were multiple symbols, but they seem to have consolidated to mostly the Z.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.  

https://c.tenor.com/d1C8VsVcR4kAAAAC/star-wars-junk.gif

I'm tempted to think that the Russians are switching to a strategy of leaving their trash gear behind in order to slow down the Ukrainian advance by tempting them to spend resources getting all that shit back into fighting shape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That shit looks more like it's been abandoned and left there for years...

This.  

https://c.tenor.com/d1C8VsVcR4kAAAAC/star-wars-junk.gif

I'm tempted to think that the Russians are switching to a strategy of leaving their trash gear behind in order to slow down the Ukrainian advance by tempting them to spend resources getting all that shit back into fighting shape.

The combat troops won't be the ones getting shit back into shape.  They will get moved back to Ukrainian facilities and either repaired to parted out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
How do you go to war with equipment that looks like it came from a thrift store. It's almost like they're not really even trying.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Those MTLBs are having a rough go of it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice wood armor.

It happens.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you looking to buy a T-72?
View Quote

Who isn't.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice wood armor.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/3f/97/803f973b692bcdcdbb0ce334bcb892bb.jpg

It happens.

If you're arguing that Russia is at the technological level of WW2 you're not all wrong.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Combat losses are one thing, but there are also going to be countless engineering losses: stuff stripped for parts; stuff that simply can't even move; equipment that can move, but mission system stuff that doesn't work; and so forth.  

Somebody was reading a recently leaked inspection report on the Moskva, and it was abysmal.  I bet a lot of their stuff is like that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What a pile of junk
View Quote

Spare parts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#11]
If that's how they setup a repair yard, we can see why their logistics have been horrid. Sheesh. I'm no army repair expert or anything, but I've worked in the transpo industry before. That's so bad it boggles the mind. I'm not even talking about the mess I'm sure was partly caused by the fighting and rapid withdrawl. At the least, use a few of those tanks, some bulldozers and level the freakin ground out some and get rid of the random crap under and around your vehicles that are supposed to get fixed. Seriously, this is what privates are for, isn't it? "Hey you clowns, grab a bunch of brooms and fill that dumpster with all this debris and trash! I want this work space clear of anything we don't need to fix these things!"
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If that's how they setup a repair yard, we can see why their logistics have been horrid. Sheesh. I'm no army repair expert or anything, but I've worked in the transpo industry before. That's so bad it boggles the mind. I'm not even talking about the mess I'm sure was partly caused by the fighting and rapid withdrawl. At the least, use a few of those tanks, some bulldozers and level the freakin ground out some and get rid of the random crap under and around your vehicles that are supposed to get fixed. Seriously, this is what privates are for, isn't it? "Hey you clowns, grab a bunch of brooms and fill that dumpster with all this debris and trash! I want this work space clear of anything we don't need to fix these things!"
View Quote

Getting junior enlisted to do caretaking tasks is an NCO function in western militaries.  The Russians don't' have a professional corps like we do and the officers don't have time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yet more great news...

...this means we can stop giving any more million billions to ukraine!
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#14]
That's not a repair facility, it's a junkyard.  The 2S19 SAU Msta is a good grab.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Combat losses are one thing, but there are also going to be countless engineering losses: stuff stripped for parts; stuff that simply can't even move; equipment that can move, but mission system stuff that doesn't work; and so forth.  

Somebody was reading a recently leaked inspection report on the Moskva, and it was abysmal.  I bet a lot of their stuff is like that.
View Quote
What's interesting to me about that, is that most of the stuff we're seeing abandoned is pretty mechanically simple when it comes to locomotion.  It's not like a 5th gen fighter with a software glitch or impossible to find circuit.  It's more like pump diesel into engine, make diesel go bang and spinny thing spin, make other spinny things mesh with first spinny thing.

It's hard to believe their logistics is so poor, or designs so poor, that the number of vehicles that appear to have suffered little or no battle damage are just left in place because they won't move under their own power.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How long before Russian and US gear, sent over to help, find its way back via grey/black markets?
View Quote

I already sold two Caesar artillery pieces and 3 HIMARS on ebay. I gave my cut to the space-lizard child molesters from the pizza place obviously. Building up that globo homo gay injections fund.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Spare parts = gold mine.
Any piece of equipment could be down for a unavailable .02 part.
One is none, a junkyard is mecca.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Folks forget that russia has no NCO's effectively.
If you want to do any kind of maintanance you have to send it back to the factory basically.
Repairs? HAAHAH
yeah no that 19 year old with IQ of 85 is currently busy shooting up korkodil
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Considering the battlefield in Ukraine, it would seem that those captured vehicles are somewhat useless.  If I was Ukrainian or Russian, I would not want any part in being in any of those vehicles.  Rolling death traps with the current armament of javelins, etc.  If I was a Russian conscript, I don’t think I would put up much of a fight when the Ukrainians came the “liberate” those vehicles.
View Quote

I don’t entirely disagree, at least on the Russian side.

On the Ukrainian side… how many Javelins do the Russians have again?
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I already sold two Caesar artillery pieces and 3 HIMARS on ebay. I gave my cut to the space-lizard child molesters from the pizza place obviously. Building up that globo homo gay injections fund.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Those MTLBs are having a rough go of it.

Nothing is unfixable. With a good crew those could be operational in a few weeks or days.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice wood armor.

It happens.

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you're arguing that Russia is at the technological level of WW2 you're not all wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice wood armor.

It happens.

We were sandbagging 7tons and other vehicles in OIF. Whole convoy armor were made from stripping towns of metal where they could: off blown up vehicles, industrial yards, etc. creating cages to hold sandbags.

You make due with what you got around you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Those logs are for fording small ditches or water traps.  Or to aid in recovery, they are not armour add ons.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#24]
All the stuff in the pics looks like a CANN point. Just with a lot more trash laying around compared to other countries militaries.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We were sandbagging 7tons and other vehicles in OIF. Whole convoy armor were made from stripping towns of metal where they could: off blown up vehicles, industrial yards, etc. creating cages to hold sandbags.

View Quote

That was in 2003 12000 miles from home.

not in 2022 on your border.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a war they chose to execute.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Why do I get the impression from the pics that they were not all taken in the same location?
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's part of Russia's feint to bring Ukrainian forces closer to the border.  Now they have to manage all of the left behind equipment.  Putin remains a strategic genius.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It hasn't. The Z markings indicate they are atleast post 2-24-22.

It's part of Russia's feint to bring Ukrainian forces closer to the border.  Now they have to manage all of the left behind equipment.  Putin remains a strategic genius.

The Ukrainians are having trouble housing and managing large numbers of new prisoners as well, yet another aspect of the brilliant Russian plan.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Repair yard? Lol, looks like a junk yard. Looks like a lot of them have been sitting for a while.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Spare parts = gold mine.
Any piece of equipment could be down for a unavailable .02 part.
One is none, a junkyard is mecca.
View Quote
When the Army pulled out of Fallujah they left acres of trash/scrap/parts. I kept my fleet running for several months with stuff we recovered from the junk yard.

Ex: I pulled 30+ HMMWV tire/rim assemblies that just needed new tires put on so every one of my gun trucks could have a spare.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It hasn't. The Z markings indicate they are atleast post 2-24-22.

That’s a hilarious take on it - love it!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When the Army pulled out of Fallujah they left acres of trash/scrap/parts. I kept my fleet running for several months with stuff we recovered from the junk yard.

Ex: I pulled 30+ HMMWV tire/rim assemblies that just needed new tires put on so every one of my gun trucks could have a spare.
View Quote

I sent some of my guys over there to gather a shit-ton of nuts and bolts to make improvised Claymores.    That we never got to use...
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]
That's a junk yard...
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Ukraine has the capability to make T72s & T64s. These tanks if functional will join the battle, if in disrepair they will be cannibalized or sent back for repair and refurbishment to join the spring offensive. My guess is the crews probably stole civilian cars to beat feet back to Russia as driving anything with a Z on it is a death sentence right now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Some of that stuff looks like it’s been there a long while.

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ukraine has the capability to make T72s & T64s. These tanks if functional will join the battle, if in disrepair they will be cannibalized or sent back for repair and refurbishment to join the spring offensive. My guess is the crews probably stole civilian cars to beat feet back to Russia as driving anything with a Z on it is a death sentence right now.
View Quote

They have the capability to make a lot more than that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#37]
As a former 11th ACR mechanic stationed at the E/W German border, I am in shock at the condition of their equipment.

All through the mid 80's we were told and believed the Soviets/Russians had some of the best equipment.

We spent countless hours maintaining our vehicles and had a very high standard imposed on us on how much of our gear had to be operational at any given time.

Seeing what they deployed to this war makes me wonder about the condition of the rest of their equipment?

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As a former mechanic in a German border guard unit, I am in shock at the condition of their equipment.

All through the mid 80's we were told and believed the Soviets/Russians had some of the best equipment.

We spent countless hours maintaining our vehicles and had a very high standard imposed on us on how much of our gear had to be operational at any given time.

Seeing what they deployed to this war makes me wonder about the condition of the rest of their equipment?

View Quote
Isn't that equipment that has BEEN in the war?
I would guess that maintenance would tend to suffer doing an active war.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly. That’s the most likely scenario.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Isn't that equipment that has BEEN in the war?
I would guess that maintenance would tend to suffer doing an active war.
View Quote

I thought they had newer, better stuff.  All of that shit looks poorly maintained and left over from the 70's-80's.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There are a lot more pictures than this coming out.

One is an area with 14 newer model T72b3 tanks all recently parked and abandoned in the woods.
View Quote
IIRC Russia claims to have 12k Tanks

So if they lose a 1000 tanks (average loss if things don't change) a year they can fight for 12 years.

So if one tanks gets killed by a Javelin, it will cost over a billion dollars to get them all.

Ukraine should be good since we sent them 40 plus billion in ammo etc.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Psshh  that's nothing.  You should see what the US left for the Taliban
View Quote
We didn't leave any tanks and they can have those clapped out HMMWVs.

MRAPs we're too expensive to bring back and was cheaper to build new ones.

One Blackhawk crashed the other day as it was probably crap anyway.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nothing is unfixable. With a good crew those could be operational in a few weeks or days.
View Quote
As a young PFC we replaced the pack/engine on a M113 in under 24 hours.

We replaced a HMMWV engine in about the same time at NTC.

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Would that V12 tank engine laying in the dirt be a good replacement for a dodge pickup?
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed but I thought the pictures were mainly tanks that were captured. Did they have the capability to make the t-80 variants?
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
IIRC Russia claims to have 12k Tanks

So if they lose a 1000 tanks (average loss if things don't change) a year they can fight for 12 years.

So if one tanks gets killed by a Javelin, it will cost over a billion dollars to get them all.

Ukraine should be good since we sent them 40 plus billion in ammo etc.
View Quote
If you think they have 12k functional tanks I have a Russian bridge to sell you
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point was we were unprepared armor wise and made due. It’s been a thing for all invading forces no matter where.

You get some lower enlisted orders to make preparations, give some tools, and some winks/nods on you don’t care where it comes from. They will create anything to give themselves a greater chance of survival.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it has a Z or an 0 painted on it , it’s only been there since Feb 24th 2022.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agreed but I thought the pictures were mainly tanks that were captured. Did they have the capability to make the t-80 variants?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

T-80 and T-64 were made 50 miles from where that picture was taken.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not MY border, man.   Enough with the financial aid.  The US economy is trashed, fuck propping up the rest of the world.

You may have reasons to be there and fight, but it's not an American fight.
Page / 3
Top Top