Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2008 4:28:26 PM EDT
Gents,

I purchased a copy of Call of Duty 5 World At War for the boy for Christmas.  He's playing his brother's copy (his brother is visiting from Albuquerque) right now, and he's wondering if Fallout 3 is any better.  He's also wondering if he should exchange his COD 5 for something else.  

COD 5 is no COD 4.

Any of you have any suggestions?  Or does COD 5 just take getting some use to?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Fallout 3 is the best game I've played in years.

Get it...

It is like STALKER but good.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Fallout 3. I Had to balance that game and finals. Its very addictive with much replayability.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Fallout 3 all the way.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Fallout 3.  Hells ya!
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
FO3 is simply amazing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fallout 3 is the best game I've played in years.

Get it...

It is like STALKER but good.

lol

that's the perfect summation! :)

man stalker sucked in execution.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't like FO3 but it may be a good fit for your son.  It's definitely a time dump, so think about how he's doing in school and what not before giving him something to distance him from reality.

COD W@W did suck.  WW2 is done.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Fallout 3 all the way.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
COD4 is much better than WaW.    

I say go for Fall out 3.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
i liked cod5, cod4 was better tho, fallout 3 is great

another great title is bioshock
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Both are totally different type of games. Fallout 3 is a RPG and is one of the best I've ever played.

COD World At War is fantastic. As always the single person campain is one of the best ever. The online play is great too, just one question. How old is your son? The reason I ask is on the online playing there is alot of cursing. When the Marines win, it oftens says "outstanding job marines, fucking outsatanding!". JSYN
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Let him keep COD5 if you have hopes of him ever seeing the sun again
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#13]
COD 5 should have been called "COD:5 Been there, done that".
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I cannot be quiet any more.

The game is not called Call of Duty 5: World at War

It's called Call of Duty: World at War.

It is not COD 5
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It is not COD 5

Thanks for your relevant contribution...
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Fallout 3 will eat his time for a month atleast.  If you get it for the PC there is alot of mods also.  

Look at the Fallout 3 thread and the size of it that should tell you something.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not COD 5

It's almost unanimous in this thread that FO3 is better. I'm sorry I annoyed you, chap.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not COD 5

It's almost unanimous in this thread that FO3 is better. I'm sorry I annoyed you, chap.

Call of duty, just like every other fucking game, movie, sequel of any sort,
universally uses numerals to designate it's place in the time line.
Just because it doesn't have a numeral, in it's title, chap,
saying that it's not COD 5 just makes you look... well foolish.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not COD 5

So by that yardstick, Grand Theft Auto IV is really Grand Theft Auto VI, because Vice City and San Andreas came before it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not COD 5

We'll see when COD 5 comes out. Whatever though. I'm not taking anything too seriously and you shouldn't either.

I don't recall saying anyone was foolish for calling it COD 5. Why must you call me foolish for saying it isn't?

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not COD 5

So by that yardstick, Grand Theft Auto IV is really Grand Theft Auto VI, because Vice City and San Andreas came before it?

That's exactly what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#22]
You say it's for your kid.

How old is he?

Fallout 3 has lot's of f-bombs and cursing, the ability to enslave people (including a child), lot's of blood and gore, and some pretty adult situations.

It's a good game but NOT a "kids" game.

Just an FYI.

Av.

Edit: I wouldn't let my kid play COD:5 either, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I appreciate the feedback gents.  He's 14, and I love watching him blow away the competition on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.  He plays online and does pretty well at it.  Some things about that game just seem so, well, realistic.

COD: World at War seems more graphic.  He enjoys it, but it is kind of a letdown compared to Modern Warfare.

The language doesn't bother him, as he spent the last three years hanging out with my friends from all over II MEF (mostly 2/2, 2/8, 3/8, and 1/6) and their language and stories were, shall we say, colorful.  

The best part, for me anyway, was taking him out to the OTA here in Idaho to fire the EBRs.  He found out real quick that firing a video game "virtual" rifle was very different from firing an actual weapon.  He's fired weapons before, but the look on his face was priceless.....

Anyway, looks like he's going to have to try Fallout 3 before he commits to COD W@W.

Thanks again.

ETA:  Forgot to add that he does well in school without too much effort, so I let him have a little more freedom than some others do.  School is the key.  If he slacks off on it, he loses privleges.  He's pretty mature for his age.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You say it's for your kid.

How old is he?

Fallout 3 has lot's of f-bombs and cursing, the ability to enslave people (including a child), lot's of blood and gore, and some pretty adult situations.

It's a good game but NOT a "kids" game.

Just an FYI.

Av.

Edit: I wouldn't let my kid play COD:5 either, but that's just me.

Yeah, they're both pretty graphic. I wouldn't let a kid under 15-16 play it. They can stick to spongebob
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 2:24:57 AM EDT
[#25]
FO3 - I was hooked the first time I blew someone's head off and it rolled down the hallway.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I appreciate the feedback gents.  He's 14, and I love watching him blow away the competition on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.  He plays online and does pretty well at it.  Some things about that game just seem so, well, realistic.

COD: World at War seems more graphic.  He enjoys it, but it is kind of a letdown compared to Modern Warfare.

The language doesn't bother him, as he spent the last three years hanging out with my friends from all over II MEF (mostly 2/2, 2/8, 3/8, and 1/6) and their language and stories were, shall we say, colorful.  

The best part, for me anyway, was taking him out to the OTA here in Idaho to fire the EBRs.  He found out real quick that firing a video game "virtual" rifle was very different from firing an actual weapon.  He's fired weapons before, but the look on his face was priceless.....

Anyway, looks like he's going to have to try Fallout 3 before he commits to COD W@W.

Thanks again.

ETA:  Forgot to add that he does well in school without too much effort, so I let him have a little more freedom than some others do.  School is the key.  If he slacks off on it, he loses privleges.  He's pretty mature for his age.

14? Err...

Here's my take on it. Fallout 3 is a lot like Fallout 2 and 1 in regards to the adult content and language. It's not just "adult content" like GTA: you can enslave people, steal from people, pick locks, murder people, meet hookers, curse constantly, become a hitman, have bounties put out on you...basically you're making moral choices the entire game that can decide if you're "good" or "evil", one of which means eradicating an entire town full of people with a nuclear bomb.

Now I'm not saying that it's a bad game for a 14 year old, G-d knows I played Fallout 1 when it came out in 1997, as a 12 year old. The difference is, it was overhead and the dialogue was all text. Fallout 3 is first person so I believe it could have a slightly different effect on a child. It's a lot more convincing and it's different when you don't view the evil shit you're doing in the 3rd person. Personally I think that playing Fallout at such a young age really affected me...I mean the original was simply creepy. You'd be walking around in the wasteland and find a father and son fishing in a radioactive stream, things like that.

Basically what I'm saying is that everything he plays is going to affect him. If you're going to let him play this, just make sure that he knows that the stuff he does as an "evil" character IS "evil", and that it's happening in a post-apocalyptic fantasy land.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top