Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 5:54:18 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me the differences and pros and cons between the A1, A2, A3, etc.?  I'm actively searching for an AR and need some info before I buy!  Thanks.

Trogdor....  the burninator
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The A-3 is a flat top with the carry handle attached to it.
A-3 is more versatile and you can remove the carry handle to install a holographic site or scope.
Don't get me wrong you can install sights, scopes, etc. to all the AR15 Rifles, but the A-3 to me is more handier and easier to use for different applications.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
There are assorted minor differences. Sometimes even an "A1" configuration will have later features, such as a faster twist barrel.

A1: Skinny barrel. More primitive sights. The military version has a slower twist barrel. Triangular handguards.

A2: Beefed up some parts. Thicker barrel, mostly towards the end. Fancier rear sights. Round handguards. Military version has faster twist barrel; 1:7 for the military, often 1:9 for civilian AR-15 copies. Longer stock. Military version has 3-round burst instead of full auto.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
[url=groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/whatisana1a2a3ora4.msnw]What is an A1,A2,A3,A4?[/url]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
TROGDOR!!! TROGDOR!!!, Trodor was a man, err he was a dragon man, err maybe just a dragon....but he was still...TROGDOR!!! TROGDOR!!! Burninating the country side, burninating the pesants....TROGDOR!!! TROGDOR!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I'm understanding that an A2 or an A3 would be much better than the A1 or is just basicaly personal perfrances? So the A3 offers more flexablity than the A1/A2 and the A3 would be the best if I were to mount a scope.

Trogdor..... the burninator
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
For combat conditions, I'd prefer having the A1 over the A2, but the A3 upper is the more versatile and if your planning on mounting a scope, A3 is the way to go, (doesn't mean ya can't have a detachable A2 carry handle, should ya just want to shoot using the irons).

Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is the way the sights were explained to me ages ago:

A1- the 'soldier proof, good enough for government work' sight, you'd almost have to be trying to break them

A2- Better versatility over the A1 (windage/elevation adjustable with the rear sight), not quite as indestructable though

A3 (ok this wasnt explained to me, they really werent around much when I asked why A2 over A1)- I would say this is the best if you are going for any kind of optics, plus you can always slap irons on if you want

Their is also an increase in cost for each 'upgrade' (A2's run what 30 or 40? bucks more from bushmaster?, with A3's cost the same as a A2 plus you have to buy optics or a detach carry handle (75-100ish for a DCH))
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Well looks like I'll be getting the A3, now jsut have to decide on 20" or 16", ther than the weiothg differance between the 20 and 16 is there much differance?

Trogdor .... the burninator
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
In a perfect world, you want the A3 w/ an A1 buttstock.

The 14.5" v. 16" v. 20", as well as the M4 stock, is dependant on your needs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
TROGDOR!!! TROGDOR!!!, Trodor was a man, err he was a dragon man, err maybe just a dragon....but he was still...TROGDOR!!! TROGDOR!!! Burninating the country side, burninating the pesants....TROGDOR!!! TROGDOR!!!
View Quote

[>:/]Jes' whut in the hell are you smokin' boy?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
that post is, quite frankly, awesome.  especially since it's your 556th post.  you, sir, are totally crap.  awesome crap.

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[>:/]Jes' whut in the hell are you smokin' boy?
View Quote
you, my friend, need to visit [url]http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html[/url] for some burnination.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Trogdor the Burninator. That was some funny stuff.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The military nomenclature is thus:

A1. Rear sights adjustable with a special tool and it was full auto.

A2. Much nicer rear sights with elevation and windage adjustable by hand.  3 shot burst.

A3. Full auto A2.

A4. Flattop, 3 shot burst.

Some manufacturers call the flattop A3, but that is not in keeping with military designations.

Personally, I prefer the A2.  Although the scope mounts better on the A4, it is a pain in the ass to have to swap the carry handle in order to have the iron sights.  While the A2 doesn't mount the scope as low, it is still quite adequate and you can use the iron sights with the scope attached.  I have had an A4 and, while it was nice and looked more evil, I just prefer the A2.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks For all the great information, I'm finding out more and more each day, it looks like the AR-15 is one of the most customizable wepons.

Trogdor... the burninator

Look at the cool shirt.
[url=http://shop.store.yahoo.com/homestarrunner/trbu.html]T-shirt[/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
One more piece of good info, there's a board on this site that is specifically for AR15s where you can discuss AR15s without having to sort through all the other BS that gets posted here in the general area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top