Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 7:05:32 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Please excuse my ignorance but what is that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Please excuse my ignorance but what is that?

Ground Zero. Where the World Trade Centers used to stand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I went down there on Saturday night to pay my respects.  Very crowded and eerily quiet.
I wish they would keep the tribute in light on all year.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Not bad... but all I really wanna know is when we break ground on the new tallest buildings in the world on the towers site.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not bad... but all I really wanna know is when we break ground on the new tallest buildings in the world on the towers site.

The cornerstone has already been placed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Never, the people who had to make this decision wimped out. The buildings that will be built there are not even very big at all. They are putting some sort of garden memorial instead of the world's tallest twin towers.

Wimps.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think they are already starting to work on the foundation. They laid the cornerstone of the Freedom Tower (1776 feet) on July 4th, 2004. Course it isn't going to be the same as the WTC. This new building has a huge antenna to reach the tallest status. (Cheating IMHO compared to the WTC which had higher occupied floors) Also, there is only one main building, not twins like the WTC. Still glad to see they are starting to put the place back together. Can't leave that hole in the ground forever.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Checked it out. I'm kinda ambivalent about it. It may be the tallest in the world, but only 70 stories with a bunch of wind turbines and crap making up the rest of the height? Okaaaaay. I'm fine with it not looking the same though. Unlike the Arabs, our technology is moving ahead way too fast to make buildings exactly like they were 50 years ago. Looks like they're at least making a bunch of other buildings around it. Still, I have to wonder if this is the best that our nation's architects can come up with.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cornerstone has already been placed.

Yup...on July 4th of this year...the Freedom Tower should be completed by 2009...it will be the world's tallest building at 1776 feet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I went down there on Saturday night to pay my respects.  Very crowded and eerily quiet.

I was there on July 4th, 2002...hard to believe those towers are gone...WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was there on July 4th, 2002...hard to believe those towers are gone...WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

I was there 9/10/01 and then again on 9/12/01....what a difference a day made.

salute
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top