Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:29:41 PM EDT
Thanks again to LS1POWERED for the ammo, this stuff digs in deep and keeps going.  Wish I had two gel blocks.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for running the test!  I am a bit surprised by the velocity being a 5.56 spec load, thought it would have been higher.  even with the Lower velocity the penetration was very impressive, would make an excellent Deer and hog hunting round.

Do you have any rounds left? I was curious how fast they would be out of your SBR.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for running the test!  I am a bit surprised by the velocity being a 5.56 spec load, thought it would have been higher.  even with the Lower velocity the penetration was very impressive, would make an excellent Deer and hog hunting round.

View Quote

Do you have any rounds left? I was curious how fast they would be out of your SBR.
Yes I do have some. I'll chrono them out of the 9"

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would appreciate it, as well. I'm debating between 50gr TSX and 70gr TSX to tailor a load for my SBR.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Origina,lly Posted By Nameless_Hobo:
I would appreciate it, as well. I'm debating between 50gr TSX and 70gr TSX to tailor a load for my SBR.
View All Quotes

Quoted:

Quoted:

from what I have read the heavier loads are better for shorter Barrels, will be interesting to see.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Good vid, thanks.  
Have you tried the Federal Fusion?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

from what I have read the heavier loads are better for shorter Barrels, will be interesting to see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Good vid, thanks.  

View Quote
Yes I have, if you browse my channel that video is pretty recent.

I plan to repeat that test out of the 9" barrel here soon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good vid, thanks.  

That would be great!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Man, you kinda wasted the gel (can you melt that particular gel back down?), but it was a commendable effort. Good video , would love to see you do some testing of modern hollow points. I was really interested in seeing the bullet, or fragments. Always use 2 blocks for .223 rounds. It's still hard to catch rifle rounds in ballistics gel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:55:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes! Please test out of an SBR!

This is my deer load but have yet to shoot an animal. I am shooting out of a 16" now but would love to go down to my 11.5 if I knew I could get reliable expansion.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Man, you kinda wasted the gel (can you melt that particular gel back down?), but it was a commendable effort. Good video , would love to see you do some testing of modern hollow points. I was really interested in seeing the bullet, or fragments. Always use 2 blocks for .223 rounds. It's still hard to catch rifle rounds in ballistics gel.
View Quote
Yes you can melt this synthetic gel down and reuse it.

Do you mean modern hollow point .223, or handgun rounds?  I have several videos with various handgun rounds.

Always use 2 blocks?  No problem!  Please click here http://store.clearballistics.com/10-Percent-Ballistic-Gelatin-FBI-Block-p/608729261421.htm and buy me a second block.  I will PM you my address to send it to

Of course I am being facetious, but in reality nobody cares about the penetration after 16".  I never get requests or even see any data to compare to a round that penetrated 21" or something, by the time it's more than 16" its's "enough".  

You are correct it is hard to catch rifle rounds in ballistics gel, especially 5.56/.223.  As a matter of fact there are very few of these that even exit the back end of the block, most yaw and leave the sides or top/bottom, in which case a second block wouldn't matter anyway.  If that bullet fragmented there would be pieces of it left behind in the gel, it stayed together IMO.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
What I've heard from end users real world is that it folds dudes over from 10" guns.  Pretty brutal load.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:38:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes! Please test out of an SBR!

This is my deer load but have yet to shoot an animal. I am shooting out of a 16" now but would love to go down to my 11.5 if I knew I could get reliable expansion.
View Quote
Expansion will be hard for me to measure for the reasons listed in the previous post.  Even though I didn't put it in the video I did move the block out to 25 yards and put a Level II armor panel behind it to try and catch the bullet, this is the moment of impact:

I also captured that little ignition that happens in this synthetic gel:

But I was unable to catch or find the bullet.  I could try a water jug or something but I didn't want to assist expansion or cause deformation with a different type of media for the bullet to pass through.   Maybe I will get lucky and catch one out of the short barrel.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top