Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2011 8:10:19 PM EDT
So my fridge tonight started making a noise when running. Sounds like cheap oil-less air compressor. Any thoughts as to the problem? I am guessing the compressor died. You can hear the motor turning. Can I replace the compressor myself? Might I be better replacing the whole fridge?

Figures this would happen now. Maybe the washer or dryer will melt down by the end of the week too.

SS

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't there a lightning storm in your area the other night?? Call ins. company

Probably cost more to fix than replacing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a lightning storm in your area the other night?? Call ins. company

Probably cost more to fix than replacing.

I don't know.  New fridges are $800+

I'd try to fix the damn thing.  Even if you can't, a repairman (around here) charges $50/hour and he should have a compressor changed out in a couple hours.  6yrs just isn't very old IMO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a start relay.

IM me
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I cut the fridge on this morning and all seems ok.so far. Tomorrow a guy is going come by and check it out for $60 I think. They thinks its a bearing.

I hated this thing from day one. Bought it same time as the house. I'm ok replacing it, just next year.

IMs will be tomorrow. Thanks for responses.

SS

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you sure it's 6 years old?  Whirlpool's warranty on the major components covers 5 years.  If you're just over the limit I'd call Whirlpool customer service.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, today the service guy comes by and all is well. No charge for the stop. Said since its running fine to leave it be for now. Told me to call him when it started up again. He lives a mile away and would come right by. He did say that there are very few moving parts in it. Couple of fan motors and a defrost timer motor.

It is at least 6 years old.

Between the fridge and work this week, I feel like throwing in the towel on both.

SS
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
No, one year only. That changed 3-4 years ago.

Quoted:

Are you sure it's 6 years old?  Whirlpool's warranty on the major components covers 5 years.  If you're just over the limit I'd call Whirlpool customer service.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Six years old???? What a travesty! My fridge, washer, and dryer are over 20 years old. My washer is just starting to kick the bucket. Sure glad we are going "green" in this country and filling our landfills with inferior products.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Six years old???? What a travesty! My fridge, washer, and dryer are over 20 years old. My washer is just starting to kick the bucket. Sure glad we are going "green" in this country and filling our landfills with inferior products.

The new appliances are not nearly as well made as even a 20 year old appliance.

I have a 50 year old refrigerator that is still running fine.

It is only used for large events when the kitchen refrigerator is filled.
The efficiency is probably the pits.

it did need a new door gasket a few years ago.

It is rarely worth major work on the compressor.

There are no valves or fittings on a refrigerator, so adding schrader valves is part of the cost of working on the refrigeration loop.

A good technician will be able to recover the refrigerant (simply venting it is not allowed).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top