BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 2:36:08 PM EDT
Fifth Fleet abandons base in Bahrain; Navy denies evacuation underway
World Tribune 3/16/2011
BREAKING
Special To The World Tribune

ABU DHABI — The U.S. Navy has begun to vacate its facilities in Bahrain, diplomatic sources said. However a statement by the U.S. Naval Forces Central Command denied that an evacuation was underway.

Western diplomatic sources said many or most of the navy's Fifth Fleet has left Manama. They said many of the U.S. naval personnel were transferred to Oman, where a naval exercise was taking place.
"There is a skeleton crew left," a diplomatic source said.

The sources said only several hundred U.S. Navy personnel were left at Fifth Fleet headquarters, Middle East Newsline reported. They said U.S. warships were no longer patrolling the coast of Bahrain.

The statement by the Fifth Fleet Public Affairs Office said that while the departure of family members and "non-essential civiliar personnel living in Bahrain" had been authorized, operations "at U.S. Fifth Fleet and NSA Bahrain remain normal, and U.S. service members and family members are not being evacuated."

The sources said the administration of President Barack Obama appeared to be preparing for the collapse of the Sunni kingdom in Bahrain. They said Washington does not intend to protect the regime of King Hamad Bin Issa Al Khalifa.

<snip>

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2011/ss_military0291_03_16.asp

ETA:Navy guys, have you heard anything about this?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That was out of the blue.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If they have they shouldn't/wouldn't talk about it
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard that the US Navy fled Japan before the quake.  Can anyone confirm it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they have they shouldn't/wouldn't talk about it

This.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If this is true I am sure someone will be leaking documents to support the story shortly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I call BS
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't heard a damn thing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah I heard the samething because Obama used a laser on the moon to induce the quake....

Oh wait...

BS
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I read an article that stated that all dependents were being flown out, but not military personal.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I heard the samething because Obama used a laser on the moon to induce the quake....

Oh wait...

BS

Bushes Fault obviously.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Well the island is under martial law. There is curfew between 4pm and 4am. The al-Khalifa family has indicated they would just as soon kill every shia on the island than cede control.

They're a bunch of corrupt bastards, in general, I won't miss them. UAE will take up the banking center slack.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
"Western diplomatic sources" is pretty vague. I'm inclined to think that the 5th is either on maneuvers or someone on the diplomatic staff is fibbin'.

That being said, I can also imagine Ozero pulling them out. Sir Obama ran away, bravely ran away, away...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Nephew is stationed there and scheduled to xfer out in 2 1/2 weeks. Not soon enough. I hope they all stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"Western diplomatic sources" is pretty vague. I'm inclined to think that the 5th is either on maneuvers or someone on the diplomatic staff is fibbin'.

That being said, I can also imagine Ozero pulling them out. Sir Obama ran away, bravely ran away, away...

Que the clapping coconuts!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well the island is under martial law. There is curfew between 4pm and 4am. The al-Khalifa family has indicated they would just as soon kill every shia on the island than cede control.

But that is nothing new.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They're a bunch of corrupt bastards, in general, I won't miss them. UAE will take up the banking center slack.

The monarchy falling and the Shiites gaining controul would be very bad for our national interests and for the region in general and it would be a major victory for Iran, which seems to be manipulating this crisis to a considerable degree.  They want the monarchy to fall to the Shiite majority.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh no.

From troofers to our very own version of "quakers"?

Say it aint so.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, of course, par for the course, don't help our friends that have been keeping our 5th fleet for years now....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They probably got the dependents out. That's pretty standard. No reason to have a bunch of US civilians living out in town when you have foreign troops coming in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#20]
US Coast Guard has personnel and ships there also, been wondering how all this would shake out. 1,000 Saudi troops have been shipped in, dead protesters today, reports of helicopters firing into Shiite strongholds, minority US friendly monarchy, Obama called the kings of Bahrain and SA today to urge "restraint", might make Libya look good before it's all over except these are supposed to be our allies, who knows who would take over if there was a regime change, will be interesting.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
STRATFOR is reporting nothing.  Even a rumour with some weight behind it would get their attention and at least be put on their update list.  Methinks this rumour is false.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Fifth Fleet abandons base in Bahrain; Navy denies evacuation underway

"There is a skeleton crew left," a diplomatic source said.

Short straws?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top