Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/10/2015 9:29:50 PM EDT
If you haven't seen the first video check out this http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1703245_If_You_Own_or_Want_Body_Armor_You_Might_Want_To_Watch_This_Video.html&page=1

Since so many people asked me to repeat the test with a Level IIIA panel behind the plate, and since http://www.ar500armor.com/ was so generous as to send me a IIIA panel, I made it out to the range today and took another shot at it.

I will let you guys check out the video and comment before I really say anything else.  Enjoy!!  

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
that's scary
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool. Thanks for the video.

Edit- Was this with a 22" barrel again?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep same everything as last time.

I filmed a new video with the 16" barrel and it went right through too using independence xm193. Still deadly in the gel too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
that's scary
View Quote

LOL not this again
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I filmed a new video with the 16" barrel and it went right through too using independence xm193. Still deadly in the gel too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that's more surprising.  It sounded like the general consensus was that a 16'' barrel wouldn't have made it through?

ETA:  I understand it's still beyond the armor's capabilities and ratings, but I had high hopes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Fine work and a good post.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
that's scary
View Quote

And yet not really surprising.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Iirc, most people did NOT believe the soft armor would make a big difference. Cool stuff.
Since you already wrecked the plate, the soft, and the gel, howbout a magdump next?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Lessons learned class......

Smoke the motherfucker getting ready to shoot at you, first.  Don't count on a damn body army panel to protect you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
You should really do some curls.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Wow, that's more surprising.  It sounded like the general consensus was that a 16'' barrel wouldn't have made it through?

ETA:  I understand it's still beyond the armor's capabilities and ratings, but I had high hopes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I was really surprised at that. I thought Currahee said he needed more than 16" but in my last thread he said 16" at CQB would get it done. And it will.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#14]
And this is why I use a 20" with 1-12" twist and light bullets. It gets shit done. I wish someone would make a FMJ 40 or 45 grain version of the M193 projectile. Velocity is king.  

I know what was going to happen, and results are even better with a slower twist. a 77grain OTM or amax type projectile would probably be defeated most likely. I would be interested to see the results using a heavy copper projectile like the TSX or protected hollow point from a fast twist 16" barrel against that armor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Iirc, most people did NOT believe the soft armor would make a big difference. Cool stuff.

Since you already wrecked the plate, the soft, and the gel, howbout a magdump next?
View Quote
Many said it would not help, a few thought it might.

I actually made 2 more videos with the plate today lol. I would have made 3 but I think I fucked the cheap front sight on my m&p 10 up. I think you guys will like the other videos too.

That IIIA panel is almost brand new! I can do a lot more with it lol
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I was wondering, and a lot of people have wondered, if a soft backer would stop them.

I had no idea.  Thank you.

I always figured a soft backer would exacerbate one of the major problems with steel plates anyway, weight.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

And this is why I use a 20" with 1-12" twist and light bullets. It gets shit done. I wish someone would make a FMJ 40 or 45 grain version of the M193 projectile. Velocity is king.  

I know what was going to happen, and results are even better with a slower twist. a 77grain OTM or amax type projectile would probably be defeated most likely. I would be interested to see the results using a heavy copper projectile like the TSX or protected hollow point from a 16" barrel against that armor.
View Quote
Lucky me I was just sent a box of 70 gr TSX for testing. If a green tip wouldnt go through I doubt those will but I'm not sure how hot SSA loads them.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#18]
WOW!!! M193 is totally awesome!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well, I was wondering, and a lot of people have wondered, if a soft backer would stop them.

I had no idea.  Thank you.

I always figured a soft backer would exacerbate one of the major problems with steel plates anyway, weight.
View Quote
Thanks for watching! You inspired me to do this in the first place lol.

If you saw it in person it looked even more eye opening. It was clean the way it went through.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Your vids are very interesting , thanks

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

GAWDANG!!

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the video.

Would like to see an M193 round fired at 10 yards using a 16" carbine.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Even a 16" barrel is spitting M193 out at over 3000fps.  An M4 will spit M193 over 3000fps most of the time.  M855 averages around 2920fps from 14.5", so 5.56 does as it was originally intended: penetrate armor.

The whole reason we have 5.56x45 and not .222 Remington in the AR15 is because Army Ordnance kept moving the goal posts, thinking the AR15/SCHV would not perform well when it was just .222 Remington.

The .30 cal nazis were trying to kill the idea of the SCHV, so when it perforated a steel helmet at 200,300, and 400yds, they moved the criteria to 500yds, at which point it "only" penetrated, but didn't perforate.

Stoner was fed up with the whole mess, and asked Remington to blow the shoulder forward, see if they could use a boat tail bullet instead of a flat base, ramp up the charge weight, and perforate the stupid helmet so Army Ordnance Board could move the goals posts again or just say "no more, this isn't going anywhere anyway."

Even with Stoner being a proponent of the 7.62 NATO, and not fond of the SCHV, it did go somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Do we know the distance at which the plate would stop the M193?  Out of a 20'', or a 16''?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lucky me I was just sent a box of 70 gr TSX for testing. If a green tip wouldnt go through I doubt those will but I'm not sure how hot SSA loads them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what was going to happen, and results are even better with a slower twist. a 77grain OTM or amax type projectile would probably be defeated most likely. I would be interested to see the results using a heavy copper projectile like the TSX or protected hollow point from a 16" barrel against that armor.

Sweet. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Cool.

Did the soft armor stop any of the fragments?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool videos man, they were an eye opener for me.  I also had no idea the ar500 brand armor so affordable and would like to get some in the future so a will for them too. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Excellent!

What distance?

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Velocity wins, same reason M193 penetrates steel better than M855 at distances less than 100 yards.  When there is not much bullet, make it go faster.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#29]
so what stops m193?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#30]
whatever
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

so what stops m193?
View Quote

Lvl IV

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#32]
It's hard to stop small and fast. Why lvl iv is worth it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Chris Christie probably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so what stops m193?

Chris Christie probably.

Lulz

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GAWDANG!!

Thanks! Yeah I think that video will be even more eye opening than this last one.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks OP. I gotta say the last video put me over the edge, I'm going for level IV.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Thanks for the video.

Would like to see an M193 round fired at 10 yards using a 16" carbine.
View Quote
I filmed today that setup @ 7 yards and @ 25 yards, I did not try 10.  Stay tuned (subscribe) to see more.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Even a 16" barrel is spitting M193 out at over 3000fps.  An M4 will spit M193 over 3000fps most of the time.  M855 averages around 2920fps from 14.5", so 5.56 does as it was originally intended: penetrate armor.

The whole reason we have 5.56x45 and not .222 Remington in the AR15 is because Army Ordnance kept moving the goal posts, thinking the AR15/SCHV would not perform well when it was just .222 Remington.

The .30 cal nazis were trying to kill the idea of the SCHV, so when it perforated a steel helmet at 200,300, and 400yds, they moved the criteria to 500yds, at which point it "only" penetrated, but didn't perforate.

Stoner was fed up with the whole mess, and asked Remington to blow the shoulder forward, see if they could use a boat tail bullet instead of a flat base, ramp up the charge weight, and perforate the stupid helmet so Army Ordnance Board could move the goals posts again or just say "no more, this isn't going anywhere anyway."

Even with Stoner being a proponent of the 7.62 NATO, and not fond of the SCHV, it did go somewhere.
View Quote
Interesting story

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Cool.

View Quote
It didn't stop shit.  Seriously I don't mean to hate on it because I'm sure it's lovely for what it's rated for, but it was NO match for this.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lulz

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
so what stops m193?

Chris Christie probably.

Lulz

Shit and where off
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Cool videos man, they were an eye opener for me.  I also had no idea the ar500 brand armor so affordable and would like to get some in the future so a will for them too. Thanks for sharing.
View Quote
That's great.  As previously stated there is nothing wrong with AR500armor.com or Level III steel plates, just know the limitations of them.  They will work for LOTS of stuff.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Definitely the best defense is the first offense. There's no second place in gun fighting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Excellent!

View Quote

What distance?

This was at 7 yards, if you want more info on the setup check out the previous video.  http://youtu.be/oMYkEMhPsO8

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Thanks OP. I gotta say the last video put me over the edge, I'm going for level IV.
View Quote
If that didn't then the next video with the 16" barrel likely would have lol.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It didn't stop shit.  Seriously I don't mean to hate on it because I'm sure it's lovely for what it's rated for, but it was NO match for this.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool.

Neat.

I anticipated it catching partial fragments and some spall, but still being defeated. Interesting that it didn't catch any of it.

Cool test.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice banana clip shirt
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#46]
so naturally the question i have is, is this new carbon nanotube armor as good as proven aramid fiber panels for stopping threats such as this?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I was really surprised and disappointed with the failure of the green tip to penetrate in the previous video.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Neat.

I anticipated it catching partial fragments and some spall, but still being defeated. Interesting that it didn't catch any of it.

Cool test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool.

Neat.

Cool test.

It looked like there may have been fewer of the smallest fragments (subjective observation, YMMV), but anything big enough to do serious injury didn't seem to be slowed down at all.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

so naturally the question i have is, is this new carbon nanotube armor as good as proven aramid fiber panels for stopping threats such as this?
View Quote
This is not carbon nanotube armor, it is made of Honeywell Spectra Shield®, Gold Shield®, and DuPont™ Kevlar®

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top