Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2013 5:27:10 PM EDT
Do any of you have one? I was thinking of doing something different for a build and 5.45 ammo is pretty cheap.

What's the pros and cons? besides cheap ammo. I've heard of magazine feeding issues too.

Discuss plz
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Make your own. I did.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Make your own. I did.
View Quote
I was looking at the spikes complete upper(never had any spikes stuff). What did you use to build your own upper? Are magazines reliable with 5.45?

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Cause Ammo i cheap.

Homebuilt 5.45 AR
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for similar interest...

However, isn't all that really cheap 5.45 corrosive anyway?  If so, isn't that awful for an AR?
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

However, isn't all that really cheap 5.45 corrosive anyway?  If so, isn't that awful for an AR?
View Quote

Just soap and water. I got a bunch of Silver Bear and Brown Bear ammo for loads cheaper than steel case .223.

Still hard to say no to ~$0.18 a round even if it is corrosive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Polish Tantal and like it a lot, but if you build an upper, make sure that you don't use a barrel meant for a .224 caliber bullet and use one meant for the ~.222" bullets loaded into the 5.45x39 ammo.  They're not the same.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a good deal on a S&W upper and I'm happy.

I have a few of the SS C-products 5.45 mags and they work.  The finish on them scratches VERY easy.

Mostly I use modified P-mags.  A 30rd Pmag holds 26-28rds 5.45 depending on how much you trim off the follower.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Nice can I get some specs? Mainly barrel and bcg

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a few of the SS C-products 5.45 mags and they work.  The finish on them scratches VERY easy.

Mostly I use modified P-mags.  A 30rd Pmag holds 26-28rds 5.45 depending on how much you trim off the follower.
View Quote
Yeah I saw the thread about modifying plans for 545. Any issues?

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]
i spent a long time contemplating getting one, but it's not worth it.

if i'm going to get a 5.45 i'll just build an ak.

it would come out cheaper than building an ar version.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

AR Performance 5.45 Barrel and BCG. Both are Melonited. I don't believe they sell them anymore.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a S&W 5.45 upper.  It rocks. This stack of 5.45 crates isn't going to get eaten by AKs alone!

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't had any issues with the modified mags or the upper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one.  Really it was the only rifle, besides my Mosin that I shot a lot during the first part of the year, since I had bought a lot of ammo for it, and obviously
it was cheap..  Mine is a S&W upper.   I like it, it isn't as reliable as my .556 rifle, but it is enjoyable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one.  The ammo was super cheap and out of about 1200 rounds I've had maybe three that didn't fire due to hard primers.  Other than that it's been solid.  The main drawback for me has been the corrosive ammo; I'm paranoid about any rust so I detail clean the thing every time I shoot it (takes 2+ hours).  That requirement, unfortunately, means there are times I can't or wont' bring it to the range because I won't have time or energy to clean it afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Only downsides Ive found are locating in stock bolt groups and cleanign after shooting corrosive ammo. Not really big issues on either count but other then those there are no issues for me.

ETA: gas tubes are $10, I'm not worried about rotting one out at that price if I dont get it clean enough. The barrels I shoot 5.45 through were $120 or less, again I clean them but I'm not going to cry if they get some rust in them.

Ive got 3 or 4 5.45 uppers currently
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it is corrosive.  No it doesn't have any harmful effects if you 'wash' it after firing...the more humid the environment, the sooner you should clean it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#19]
LWRC made at least one fairly large batch of 5.45 piston uppers.  While I'm not a piston fan(boy) it does eliminate the 'pooping where you feed' syndrome.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd still have mine if it wasn't for Magpul
because nothing works as good as a Pmag

damn you Magpul, I loathe metal mags now

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#21]
5.45 upper works great
-Works well in full auto
-Cheap ammo
-Neutralize corrosive salts from ammo with soap and water or WD40.
-Early CP 5.45 mags had spring issues.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but it pays for itself after a few thousand rounds with the savings.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I have a S&W 5.45 upper.  It rocks. This stack of 5.45 crates isn't going to get eaten by AKs alone!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/Knives/IMG_6852.jpg

View Quote
Good lord. Spread some love.

I like how the crates are stacked by year.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

5.45 upper works great

-Works well in full auto

-Cheap ammo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyUvIZXiXM8
View Quote
Sweet. I've got two lowers that need completing. One is waiting for a stamp the other I thought of the 5.45.

What barrel  and bcg did you use?
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Are there barrels and bolts available anywhere these days?
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sweet. I've got two lowers that need completing. One is waiting for a stamp the other I thought of the 5.45.    What barrel  and bcg did you use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.45 upper works great
-Works well in full auto
-Cheap ammo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyUvIZXiXM8
Sweet. I've got two lowers that need completing. One is waiting for a stamp the other I thought of the 5.45.    What barrel  and bcg did you use?

The barrel is a chrome lined S&W M&P and the bolt carrier is WMD NiB-X with a S&W M&P bolt.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Have a spikes 5.45. Real nice upper. I beleive everthing that would be exposed is melonite coated or treated (whatever the correct term is). I just boil up some water and pour it down the barrel and gas tube then clean as normal.

Have some ASC mags that haven't failed me (only on the range though, nothing too taxing). Tried modifying one pmag follower, but didn't work (but some folks seem to have some success with it)

Accuracy is good with Russian Surplus, good enough for plinking. Like others I stacked (moderatly deep) when it was $129/1080 rounds. Won't buy anymore until it starts dropping below $200 (doubt I'll see it as low as I did before).

Main issue I've had is standard hammer spring wasn't enough to set off primer every time. 3-4 times/mag it wouldn't go off. I got some Wolff heavy springs and haven't had an issue yet, but the trigger is heavy. I've heard folks having good success using Geiselle triggers with 5.45.

Otherwise a pleasure to shoot at nearly 1/2 - 1/3 the cost of brass 5.56 ammo.

Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I have 2 AR's with Adams 5.45 uppers.  Same reason as most, because it's cheap.  I have a mountian of 5.45 so it made sense to invest in the AR, even though I have AK's in that caliber.

I got an AR upper in 7.62x25 for the same reason (I bought a ton of it when it was 6 cents a round).

Is the 5.45 surplus the equal of your options in 223/556?  No.  It'll still kill you though.  

It also allows you to train on your AR without your inner cash register nagging you for the cost of 223/556.  22LR AR's are just not for me.

ETA:  I have a bunch of ASC mags.  I heard you can use 20 round thermolds without modification.  Anyone know the truth of this?
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my barrel from ballistic advantage.  Not the most accurate, but that may be the ammo too.  I need to get some brown bear for a comparison.  Fun plinker.

The ASC mags I got are good.  Cproducts not so much.  They work, but no way I'd trust them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Got a buddy who has one and loves it, it shoots great. He did the piston upper though so the corrosive stuff doesn't blow back into the bcg and is easier to clean
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have a spikes 5.45. Real nice upper.

Have some ASC mags that haven't failed me (only on the range though, nothing too taxing). Tried modifying one pmag follower , but didn't work (but some folks seem to have some success with it)

Accuracy is good with Russian Surplus, good enough for plinking. Like others I stacked (moderatly deep) when it was $129/1080 rounds. Won't buy anymore until it starts dropping below $200 (doubt I'll see it as low as I did before).

Main issue I've had is standard hammer spring wasn't enough to set off primer every time. 3-4 times/mag it wouldn't go off. I got some Wolff heavy springs and haven't had an issue yet, but the trigger is heavy. I've heard folks having good success using Geiselle triggers with 5.45.
View Quote

I installed Wolf upgraded hammer spring and ended up taking it out because I hated the increased trigger weight.  

I haven't had any problems without it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2013 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I installed Wolf upgraded hammer spring and ended up taking it out because I hated the increased trigger weight.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have a spikes 5.45. Real nice upper.

Have some ASC mags that haven't failed me (only on the range though, nothing too taxing). Tried modifying one pmag follower , but didn't work (but some folks seem to have some success with it)

I've had problems with light primer strikes using a Daniel Defense LPK until I upgraded to the Wolff Extra Power Hammer Spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top