Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2004 5:54:30 AM EDT
Why dont you get Landcruisers, Pajeros, Patrols etc over there?

Is there some law preventing them being imported, or is there no market?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen landcruisers here.  They look stupid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Crash testing

Emissions testing

low volume - not suited for American market

- Take your pick
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Landcruisers, yes. There are lots of cars/trucks we wish we could get.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#4]
We have Ford and GMC.

DOn't need your shit.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We have Ford and GMC.

DOn't need your shit.

SGtar15

Wedge loves Sarge.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#6]
1 word JEEP the granddaddy of them all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I do have a Pajero:

Wish I had the 2.3 turbo diesel in it, though.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We have Ford and GMC.

DOn't need your shit.

SGtar15

nice.

(it's "shite" isn't it?)
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#9]
We have LandCruisers. My sister has one. Awesome vehicles, if just a "tad" expensive....

We have other 4WDs: Jeeps (of course), Land Rover, Troopers (Jackaroo), etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#10]
The auto industry lobbyists do not want surplus Defenders to flood the market,  so they make crazy laws which dub them "unfit" for highway driving and keep them out.

Same way they keep us from getting hummers, they would rather destroy them than sell them BACK to the people who bought them in the first place
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#11]

we fare ok.................
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I second the vote for Jeep as I drive one.

But I admit when I bought it I was hoping to buy a 4wd with  luxury powered by something more economical than a  V8 gas engine.  Overseas they sell a ton of 4 and 6 cylinder newer Deisel engines that do just fine.  Not quite as quick off the line but hell, in a Jeep I don't care.  I would rather have the 30 mpg on deisel.  No demand in the USA (yet).

Otherwise, yeah, I prefer the Jeep and other stuff we already got to what I see on the roads around the world.  Course, I haven't been to Australia yet.  Don't know what you got there.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Our market has Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Jeep and others with medium to large 4wds.  GMC failed a long time ago, which is why we dont get any Chevys or anything (except rebadged ones, which have also failed).  Ford sells barely any F150s, Jeep sells a good amount of Wranglers, but Grand Cherokees/Cherokees dont sell very much.

The Japanese brands have proven alot more reliable and efficient and provide much better value for money.  American 4wds have poor finish compared to them.  If you dont believe me, ask around who takes what to the outback.  Most will say a Landcruiser due to its reliability.

We have many 4wds, yet the American ones seem to be the ones selling the least, except for the Wrangler, which is a damn good 4wd.

We have Ford and GMC.

DOn't need your shit.

SGtar15

Ford and GMC dont produce anything like a Landcruiser...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you get new Pajeros and Landies?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Both yes, however the Mitzubishi is under a different name and manufactured here in the US. They're called Montero's here.  The Landies as you call them we get from Britan.

Tj

Ah I see.  I thought you were unable to get them.

Can you get troopies?

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nope not the trophy......looks cool though kind of like a Jap Land Rover Discovery.

Tj

Troopie not trophy, short for troopcarrier.

11 seat.  They are damn good but a pain in the arse for the people in the back to get out sometimes.\

Do you have the same problem over there with rich yuppies buying 4wds and never taking them off road?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#21]
our toyota's (land cruisers) went luxury, we can no longer get the ones like the picture,
isn't holden a gm company???
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:32:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Both yes, however the Mitzubishi is under a different name and manufactured here in the US. They're called Montero's here.  The Landies as you call them we get from Britan.

Tj

Can you get troopies?

www.tigimages.ninemsn.com.au/DisplayImage.aspx?path=%2fCarContent%2fPolk%2f400%2f3vq78sfp.jpg&size=ImageStandard

That is a pretty cool looking rig, Fifty.

The Pajero is labeled the Montero here. The older ones were made avail with 2.6l and 3.0l v6 engines. Both are ok, but way underpowered. Some guys who own the older Montero, like the one I have have, transplanted 2.3l turbo diesels that were avail in Dodge Ram50 trucks for a couple years. I'd like to find me one and another Montero so I could do the transplant.

If Jeep does make a diesel in the near future, I may wait a year or two and retire this Montero.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
our toyota's (land cruisers) went luxury, we can no longer get the ones like the picture,
isn't holden a gm company???

Thats just the 78 series.  THe 120? series is alot diff.  I think it may be the luxury ones you get too, but our range ranges from "basic" to "luxury".

Holden is a GM company but doesnt sell any real 4wds anymore.  They are largely independent of GM.

A while ago I was asking people why there were no Corvettes and stuff here.  Seems that GMC tried to set up in Aus but failed.  I hope they try again though.  I like corvettes
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No, no, no...

You have it ALL wrong.

WE are "here".

It is YOU who are "over there". "DOWN there", actually.

Get it straight, mate.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#27]
God, i wish i could have a Patrol... will beat a TLC or LandRover anyday

love that truck!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I think I'll keep this for a while.  Not saying its better than any of the vehicles listed above but I'm happy with it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#29]
All those furrin vehicles are too small for US users that need a vehicle that will work - we haul shit around - only soccer moms that need to keep up with the latest Cosmo trend buy Land Cruisers and so on.

It is also very hard to sell trucks with names that end in "ies".
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

SGtar15

Oh yeah?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Can you get troopies?

www.tigimages.ninemsn.com.au/DisplayImage.aspx?path=%2fCarContent%2fPolk%2f400%2f3vq78sfp.jpg&size=ImageStandard

Why do you guys make everything sound gay?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGtar15

Oh yeah?

www.20inches.org/images/trucks/ford/EXCURSION22_5S.jpg

www.superlift.com/gallery/2003/rwr/december/photos/2000Excursion1.jpg

SGtar15

Aw, couldn't incorporate your dolls into the pics..........
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
God, i wish i could have a Patrol... will beat a TLC or LandRover anyday

love that truck!

Nice truck, but why exactly do you think this?

There are some 70 series in the US, not many. Some come in from Canada. Canadian mine trucks and early imports came across, US military bring backs. Canada has a 15 year exemption, so stuff get imported there now. Was a LC73  diesel on Ebay recently, but it was a RHD import. If you have a hard-on for a 70 you can get it, not sure its worth the trouble tho.

TJ the same thing happened when AusMoD was procuring the Perentie. Civvys got a nice Isuzu diesel powered Land Rover Stage one out of the deal. Nearly everything looks better than X-wings

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGtar15

Oh yeah?

SGtar15

V10?  Landies are V6 or V8.

How many people can it fit?

Thats basically a "truck" with a canopy on the back.

How much are Landies and that over there?  Used H1's from about 1986 cost about 120k AUS here
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#36]
ummm, dude, i don't know how it works in australia..............but here bigger is better

also, you can fit a mexican family in a friggin excursion................................
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#37]
LC100 V8s (only flavor few options) are $55k MSRP. The excursion is a decent off road vehicle, exceptional tow mule. Its very large, longer but I dont think wider than a H1. If you think about it, Rover 110 and LC are just trucks with a canopy. The Excursions can fit 8 in comfort, or an EXTENDED Mexican family, plus some gear. Available with a monster diesel (760NM), tops out about the same cost as LC100 here.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
ummm, dude, i don't know how it works in australia..............but here bigger is better

also, you can fit a mexican family in a friggin excursion................................

Here bigger means more fuel used, less manoueverability.  IMO if you want to move people around, get a friggin van or something, not a 4wd.  

LC100 V8s (only flavor few options) are $55k MSRP. The excursion is a decent off road vehicle, exceptional tow mule. Its very large, longer but I dont think wider than a H1. If you think about it, Rover 110 and LC are just trucks with a canopy. The Excursions can fit 8 in comfort, or an EXTENDED Mexican family, plus some gear. Available with a monster diesel (760NM), tops out about the same cost as LC100 here.

Wow thats heaps!  Considering cars over there are alot cheaper than here...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Do you see many IH Scouts down there?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

IH Scouts?

Whats that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Well, I second the vote for Jeep as I drive one.

But I admit when I bought it I was hoping to buy a 4wd with  luxury powered by something more economical than a  V8 gas engine.  Overseas they sell a ton of 4 and 6 cylinder newer Deisel engines that do just fine.  Not quite as quick off the line but hell, in a Jeep I don't care.  I would rather have the 30 mpg on deisel.  No demand in the USA (yet).

Otherwise, yeah, I prefer the Jeep and other stuff we already got to what I see on the roads around the world.  Course, I haven't been to Australia yet.  Don't know what you got there.

Your wishes have been answered.  Coming to a Jeep dealer near you this fall.
Jep Liberty CRD 2.8 (Common Rail Diesel)

If enough people bite, there will be more.  Hint: Wrangler CRD, Grand Cherokee CRD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:Here bigger means more fuel used, less manoueverability.  IMO if you want to move people around, get a friggin van or something, not a 4wd.  

Here we have big roads, big houses, and petrol is 50 cents per liter.  We buy HUGE utes to drive alone to and from work.  

Because we can.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SGtar15

Oh yeah?
SGtar15

Ford built that Uhm, NO! It started life as a ford, but took a lot of time and money besides. Didn't they discontinue the Excursion anyway?

Quoted:

Not what it used to be. Way too yuppified.

Quoted:
The auto industry lobbyists do not want surplus Defenders to flood the market,  so they make crazy laws which dub them "unfit" for highway driving and keep them out.

Same thing keeps surplus H1s and M151s off the markte too.
I wouldn't touch a civvy H1, but a used weapons carrier would be great.
A defender'd be nice too.

Quoted:

Quoted:

IH Scouts?
Whats that?

International Harvester. They were a small 4wheeler back before SUVs were the rage.

There's at least 1 G-wagon that lives near me, does that count?

Whatever happened to the rumor of the UniMog being imported to compete with H1?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#44]
defenders kick ass. here's mine. they stopped importing them in '97 because of the airbag law. don't see many of these around.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Here bigger means more fuel used, less manoueverability. IMO if you want to move people around, get a friggin van or something, not a 4wd.

thats the beauty of it, isn't it?  i can haul 6 people most anywhere i want to go in leather clad, cold beer infested air conditioned comfort....................and i've only got a crew cab.  then, when i'm done with that, i can tow several thousand pounds or just let my truck idle and actually watch the ozone erode.............................
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:Here bigger means more fuel used, less manoueverability.  IMO if you want to move people around, get a friggin van or something, not a 4wd.  

Here we have big roads, big houses, and petrol is 50 cents per liter.  We buy HUGE utes to drive alone to and from work.  

Because we can.

50 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  DAMMIT!  Stupid GWB is making our fuel cos more

Never heard of the IH Scout.  Might have a diff name here.

Our Army uses Landrover 110's and Unimogs .

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Never heard of the IH Scout.  Might have a diff name here.

As far as I know they are called Scouts down there also. I know of atleast one guy down there that has a couple. They haven't been produced since 1980, so they may be few and far between down there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#48]
all i want is a good, diesel powered 4X4, no frills, just soild off road preformance
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

We Do . We just call them  Landcruisers , Monteros , Pathfinders ...... Oh yeah , we also
put the steering wheel on the correct side
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Unimog.  Accept no substitute.  

When you pull a HMMWV out of a river, ford it in the same spot, ford it in reverse in the same spot, and then ford it again in foward, you know that you have a kick-ass machine.  Get a diesel and one with a snorkel.  But dont forget yours too...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top