Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:22:10 PM EDT
4WD drivers obese, conservative: study
September 26, 2005 - 6:29PM

Forget the fit, rugged, 30-something-year-old navigating flood plains and climbing mountains in the snazzy 4WDs as depicted in the commercials.

The reality is, drivers of the suburban monsters are often obese, aggressive, intolerant and aged in their 40s or 50s.

A new study has found that city owners of large four-wheel-drive vehicles are less community minded than other drivers, less charitable, more likely to be homophobic and have a low opinion of indigenous culture.

The Australia Institute study has also found they are more likely to use force to get their way.

Based on a Roy Morgan Research survey in 2003-04 of 24,718 people aged 14 and over, the study found the typical city driver of a large 4WD is a male in his forties or fifties in full-time work with a higher than average income.

The 4WDS are also far more likely than conventional vehicles to kill or maim other road users, they are less fuel efficient and they are resented by other road users.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Two thirds of their drivers in the city are overweight or obese.

They also had a lower regard for the welfare system than the general population.

"While over half (57 per cent) of all Australians agree it is the government's duty to support those who cannot find work, only 42 per cent of city drivers of large 4WDs concur," the report's authors, Clive Hamilton and Claire Barbato, said.

"These drivers tend to see themselves as rugged individualists who like physical activity.

"Perhaps with implications for how they drive, they are more inclined to say they sometimes use force to get their way," the authors said.

The authors also say 4WDs are marketed as bold, tough, powerful and made for rugged terrain, while the daily reality is that most are driven between school, work and shops in metropolitan areas.

The survey counted only city drivers of 4WDs, where over half of the vehicles are owned.

However, drivers of luxury 4WDs are very different.

They are more likely to be female, in their 30s and 40s, and are more materialistic than other Australians.

"This group is more than twice as likely as the general population to say, `I was born to shop' (33 per cent)," the authors said.

"And two thirds (65 per cent) say they would normally buy their favourite brand regardless of price, compared with 43 per cent of the population."

They also watch their weight, and are less likely to be obese than the general population.

Monash University research indicates 4WDs are far more likely than conventional vehicles to kill or maim other road users.

Dr Hamilton said the vehicles are also less fuel efficient and are resented by other road users.

He said special licences and higher taxes should be imposed on 4WD owners.

smh.com.au/news/National/4WD-drivers-obese-conservative-study/2005/09/26/1127586794495.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Your SUV is not a Jeep and my Jeep is not an SUV....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#2]

The reality is, drivers of the suburban monsters are often obese, aggressive, intolerant and aged in their 40s or 50s.

A new study has found that city owners of large four-wheel-drive vehicles are less community minded than other drivers, less charitable, more likely to be homophobic and have a low opinion of indigenous culture.

This sounds alot like myself
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They say it almost like it's a bad thing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The reality is, drivers of the suburban monsters are often obese, aggressive, intolerant and aged in their 40s

Aggressive... check
Intolerant... check
40ish... check
Obese...

Oh so close.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, this was a worthwhile study. It taught us so much. I hope it cost someone alot of money.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]

They also had a lower regard for the welfare system than the general population.

Heh
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
A picture of me and a picture of my 4x4.  I guess I fail the "40ish" category
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not nice to talk about soccer moms that way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I drive a truck, I am not Homophobic, I just think they are an abomination before God almighty., I am somewhat more aggressive in city driving, but only because if I am not I will not get anywhere. I am not obese, though I am not skin and bones either (BMI says I am overweight, doc says I am not)   I think Welfare should have a 6 week cap after that you are put into the army if you can not "find" work. And yes, I am intolerant of the whiny liberal pussiness that is infecting North America and slowly flushing (or not so slowly) the standards my Grandfather fought for in the Great war, and for which many menbers of my family are buried in Europe, though many of those countries do not deserve to have such fine persons buried on their libralized defeatist soil.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I drive a truck, I am not Homophobic, I just think they are an abomination before God almighty.

Such an ignorant comment to make.  I bet you might not think the same if one day you found out that your son or a friend was gay.  I hope it happens to you...so you can see how narrow minded that you really are.  Just MHO.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I drive a truck, I am not Homophobic, I just think they are an abomination before God almighty.

Such an ignorant comment to make.  I bet you might not think the same if one day you found out that your son or a friend was gay.  I hope it happens to you...so you can see how narrow minded that you really are.  Just MHO.

You must be ghay!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Soooooo,  what's your point?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My son won't become Gay, I have medical coverage to help treat mental disorders BEFORE they become problems, just like cancer, or wisdom teeth.

As for friends who are gay, if they become gay, they quit being friends, simple as that.   And none of this "but lesbians are great" crap, Homosexuality is an abomination before God, it is caused by an untreated mental disorder, sort of like depression, but less desireable

as for Narrow minded, I chose my position after years of watching people who maintain close realtions to Homosexuals, without fail they all started to become more liberal, and more promiscuous, as well as suffering more instances of depression and manic behaviour...  I don't hang out with people who have Aids, Syphilis, Tuberculosis, or bronchitis, why would I then proceed to expose myself to other contaminants of the spirit and mind? letalone the body.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calling the man "narrow minded" suggests that you must be open minded. An open minded person is someone who stands for nothing. If one of my children chose to be homosexual, it would not change my convictions. I have a friend who happens to be gay but that doesnt stop me from loving him as the child of God he is. However, my personel relationship with the man has no effect on the fact that the lifestyle he chooses is an abomination before God.  You sir are ingnorant for not seeing that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
So what do you want do because of these finding?

Ban SUV's

Ban obese people

Ban male drivers over 40

Ban people over 40

Ban insensitive people over 40

Ban -- no wait --lets ban stupid posts like one  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Except being 40 or 50......that's a big fat +1.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Aaaaaaaahhhhhh Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeze   Not this shit again!

The nutty for God crowd is in the house tonight.........    
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calling the man "narrow minded" suggests that you must be open minded. An open minded person is someone who stands for nothing. If one of my children chose to be homosexual, it would not change my convictions. I have a friend who happens to be gay but that doesnt stop me from loving him as the child of God he is. However, my personel relationship with the man has no effect on the fact that the lifestyle he chooses is an abomination before God.  You sir are ingnorant for not seeing that.

Blah!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If one of my children chose to be homosexual, it would not change my convictions. I have a friend who happens to be gay but that doesnt stop me from loving him as the child of God he is. However, my personel relationship with the man has no effect on the fact that the lifestyle he chooses is an abomination before God.  You sir are ingnorant for not seeing that.

Shows what you know.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be ghay!

IBTL
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Calling the man "narrow minded" suggests that you must be open minded. An open minded person is someone who stands for nothing. If one of my children chose to be homosexual, it would not change my convictions. I have a friend who happens to be gay but that doesnt stop me from loving him as the child of God he is. However, my personel relationship with the man has no effect on the fact that the lifestyle he chooses is an abomination before God. You sir are ingnorant for not seeing that.

Shows what you know.  

Well, I guess that makes me narrow minded doesnt it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#22]
bigoted and can't spell either.  Guess it must be simple stupidity and not ignorance.  Then again, could be both.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Narrow minded...small minded.  What's the difference?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
4WD drivers obese, conservative: study

Snip...

He said special licences and higher taxes should be imposed on 4WD owners.

smh.com.au/news/National/4WD-drivers-obese-conservative-study/2005/09/26/1127586794495.html

Well well.. sounds like some people are not being good little communists...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Well brother..........by your reasoning you are also small minded you know?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take the gay stuff to the religious forum...

This is about overweight right wing  males driving SUV's aint it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take the gay stuff to the religious forum...

This is about overweight right wing  males driving SUV's aint it?

Your right.
I'm not overweight though. I just have a larger table muscle then other men. My mother would tell me that I'm just big boned.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Relax Chowder...just getting a rise out of you.  Shouldn't let it bother you so quickly.  If somone tells you that you are narrow minded...let it go...because aren't we all to some degree.  Thanks for the fun.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The reality is, drivers of the suburban monsters are often obese, aggressive, intolerant and aged in their 40s

Aggressive... check
Intolerant... check
40ish... check
Obese...

Oh so close.

Aggressive...yep
Intolerant...I have my moments
40ish...sorry, nope, I'm 21
Obese....nope again

And I don't drive an SUV

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:29:29 AM EDT
[#30]
These are the people i refer to as "Urban commando's" . They are nasty, brutish, amazingly ugly, think they know all there is about guns and dont mind telling you, Wear BDU's a lot, hate Welfare children and gays yet if they walked half way up a hill with their M14 (cause they know a m16 is for pussys) they would pass out. And rather than eat healthy food with vitamin pills and V8 they perfer "warrior food" like Mcdonalds, Wendy's and KFC. Oh and they usually put small confederate flags on their SUV's. And if they smoke it's never cigarettes, it's usually a nasty cigar or a pipe. And lately they have been constipated cause despite being the size of a good year blimp they insist on wearing a tight black leather belt for their new "CCW" which is a full size 1911 Kimber (he knows scientifically the 9mm's are for hippies). Oh and lastly they love to quote and talk about our founding fathers even though the last book they read about them had lift up flaps. Forget anything?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#31]
They'll have to pry my F-250 SuperDuty 4WD Diesel from my cold dead fingers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
....I am intolerant of the whiny liberal pussiness that is infecting North America.... the standards my Grandfather fought for in the Great war, and for which many menbers of my family are buried in Europe, though many of those countries do not deserve to have such fine persons buried on their libralized defeatist soil.

Great statement, you are quickly becomming one of my favorite contribuitors.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Relax Chowder...just getting a rise out of you.  Shouldn't let it bother you so quickly.  If somone tells you that you are narrow minded...let it go...because aren't we all to some degree.  Thanks for the fun.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

No problem dude.  I absolutely take no offence in being narrow minded.  After all, arent we all narrow minded for not realizing that civilian gun confiscation is for the greater good and promotes world peace and better saftey in times of natural disaster and civil unrest?.

These are the people i refer to as "Urban commando's" . They are nasty, brutish, amazingly ugly, think they know all there is about guns and dont mind telling you, Wear BDU's a lot, hate Welfare children and gays yet if they walked half way up a hill with their M14 (cause they know a m16 is for pussys) they would pass out. And rather than eat healthy food with vitamin pills and V8 they perfer "warrior food" like Mcdonalds, Wendy's and KFC. Oh and they usually put small confederate flags on their SUV's. And if they smoke it's never cigarettes, it's usually a nasty cigar or a pipe. And lately they have been constipated cause despite being the size of a good year blimp they insist on wearing a tight black leather belt for their new "CCW" which is a full size 1911 Kimber (he knows scientifically the 9mm's are for hippies). Oh and lastly they love to quote and talk about our founding fathers even though the last book they read about them had lift up flaps. Forget anything?

How did you know this about me?

Top Top