Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2001 7:47:39 PM EDT
Hey guys, I needed a break from reality for a moment and was wondering about the ballistics of the 30.06.  I have a Garand that I shoot occasionally and am considering getting a hunting rifle in 30.06 and was wondering what the effective range and how flat does it shoot.
how does this caliber compare to 7mm or 300 win mag ??
Thanks....[:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Enter the calibers on Winchester's ammo site and get some idea how their stuff is.
[url]www.winchester.com/ammunition/store/cfrifle.eye[/url]
Remington:  [url]www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Regardless of what the magnum fans tell you. The 30-06 is one of the most versatile cartridges there is. It can be loaded with everything from a saboted 55gr .223 to a 220 grain and everything in between, not to mention the "light magnum loads". It always has and always will take any game animal on the North American continent up to and including Grizzlies and Polar bears.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally speaking the .30-06 is not as flat as either 7mm or .300, but for hunting purposes it doesn't much matter unless you are taking a long range shot probably farther than you should anyway.  It has a considerable effective range if you know for sure (i.e. with a rangefinder) how far out you are.  If you don't I wouldn't go beyond about 300 yards because drop get serious around there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Not speaking from experience, but I believe that the 30-06 is "nicely loaded" meaning the chamber will last for generations.  I have heard that the newer .300 Magnum, and the 7mm are extremely high pressure, and hard on chambers.

Go with a 30-06, and you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The 300 Mag only get about 10% more range over the 30-06.  For example, the point blank range for my 30-06 firing a SPBT is 300 yards.  When I fire the same bullet out of a 300 Mag, my range is 330 yards.  The magnum has a lot of drawbacks (especially recoil) to gain those measly 30 yards, and 300 yards is pretty damned far anyway.

The 30-06 is perfect for hunting just about anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top