Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 2:38:35 AM EDT
So what best in 308 patrol rifle? PTR-91 (HK clone), MIA SOCOM, SA58? Other options?   Any photos of what you guys are using?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]

What are you intending to patrol?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So what best in 308 patrol rifle? PTR-91 (HK clone), MIA SOCOM, SA58? Other options?   Any photos of what you guys are using?

I don't patrol anything but I do own all three rifles HK91, DSA FAL and Springfield M1A.
And I  would say that HK Clone, and FAL are better than the M1a SOCOM . The M1A is $1500 or more. The PTR 91 is $899 to 1100 depending on which gun shop you go to, and the DSA FALs are $900 up to 2200.

The M1A is also longer in length compared to the PTR 91 K and 16" DSA FAL. Also if you want to mount optics to the M1A other than a Aimpoint you will need a cheek rest. With the FAL or HK you will not need a cheek rest, if you use a DSA scope mount for the FAL  and a B&T low pro mount for the HK91.

If the choice is between the FAL and HK I would say that the FAL might make a better patrol rifle. I like the HK91, and it is my favorite rifle but the FAL carbine is less weight, and is a few inches shorter in overal length, and best of all it is at a good price.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:39:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the detailed info. Im new to this whole chat room thing.  I was really interested in the differant types of semiauto 308s available, and their merits. I was hoping a thread might start and I could learn some stuff. During the '80s I had a mini 14, Valmet semi (AK clone) with Redfield scope, Remington 870 pump, assorted .22's and a mint, unfired MK III* .303.  I used to do some serious damage to feral pigs/goats/rabbits/cats (yes cats, much worse that foxes).
Not that I am allowed any of these anymore.....
In Australia, we had a couple of serious massacres involving semiauto firearms (most infamous at Port Arthur in Tasmania, where about 30 tourists were shot by a sick bastard).  Our Govt. did a "gun buy back" and  set really strict rules for firearm ownership and now I dont meet the criteria.
Im an ex-cop and firearms enthusist that has just found this site.  Really enjoy the reading and photos and  thank you once again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top