Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 11:24:43 AM EDT
I am picking up some sticks to smoke with my dad tomorrow night. I have to buy them tonight and take them on a 2 hour car trip tomorrow. Can I put them in a cooler with a damp paper towel until it's time to smoke them? If not, what do you suggest?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Ziploc bag will suffice for such a short time.  Just don't open it until ready to smoke.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ziploc bag will suffice for such a short time.  Just don't open it until ready to smoke.

This.  If it's only 24h, put them in a ziplock by themselves and close the ziplock.  Stress not.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ziplock bag as said above, but make sure they don't sit too long in a hot car.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
This is my biggest concern. I can probably make the trip in 1.75 hours, but my A/C is broken so they will be warm.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is my biggest concern. I can probably make the trip in 1.75 hours, but my A/C is broken so they will be warm.

Okay, let me throw this down for you guys:

Consider how cigars are grown/rolled/aged/transported/shipped.  

Now ask yourself: are my cigars going to be destroyed in 2 hours in a warm car?

They're not nectar and ambrosia that's hand crafted by legions of epileptic fairies, they're cigars.  They'll be just fine OP.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They're not nectar and ambrosia that's hand crafted by legions of epileptic fairies, they're cigars.  They'll be just fine OP.

Blasphemy,
may the legions of epileptic fairies forgive you.......

OP
I think puting the sticks in a ziplock bag inside of a cooler would work out well, maybe add an ice pack if you are really concerned about the heat.
I wouldnt bother worrying about moisture, the ziplock will keep them fresh enough for your trip.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I should have added clarity to my post above. By "too long in a hot car" I mean 10+ hours in a car in the sun with the windows rolled up on a steamy day.

I've killed a cigar or two forgetting it in the truck all day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I should have added clarity to my post above. By "too long in a hot car" I mean 10+ hours in a car in the sun with the windows rolled up on a steamy day.

I've killed a cigar or two forgetting it in the truck all day.

If you have a little cooler that you can put the cigars in that will help your cause.  10+ hours at 100 degrees could do some damage.  For the most part you won't end up killing the cigar because as was mentioned earlier the cigars go through a lot of climate change early in their life.  What will happen is that it will affect the cigar enough that it won't be ideal for smoking as soon as you get to your destination.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't see why the cooler is even necessary.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It isn't necessary but if you want to smoke the cigar soon after you arrive then why not do what you can to keep it in ideal conditions if it is possible
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
If you need to keep cigars for a few days, or you have some that have dried out it's very easy to rehydrate them.  Just get a ziplock, one big enought to have more than enough room for the cigars.

Then take a piece of paper towel, like a 1/4 sheet and soak it in water.  Squeeze the water out of the paper towel to where it's just nice and damp.  Put both the paper towel and the cigars in the ziplock, but don't let them touch.  Lay it out on the counter for about 24 hours give or take.  Don't leave it too long or you can get mold started.

Your previously dry cigars will be ready to light.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It isn't necessary but if you want to smoke the cigar soon after you arrive then why not do what you can to keep it in ideal conditions if it is possible

I really don't think sitting next to you for 2 hours in a car makes any difference in a cigar's taste.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't think sitting next to you for 2 hours in a car makes any difference in a cigar's taste.  

I doubt it but he said 10+ hours in a steamy hot car without AC.  Will it make a difference...why test it if you have the choice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in agreement with the Ziploc bag,

but if you need more peace of mind,   riddle a 35 mm film canister with holes, cut a piece of sponge to fit, moisten (don't soak, moisten) said sponge with distilled water, and put it all in a gladware container.  Travelador!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top