Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2001 10:52:31 AM EDT
I am thinking about purchasing the Ciener 22 conversion for my 2 Bushies. Anyone here have some experience with them.  I don't want one if they are a hassle.  But the thought of cheap practice with the AR is appealing.  I am also concerned about gumming up the gas system.

Also, I can't decide whether do get the 10 or 30 round mags.

Thanks for your replies,

Wazzup
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Wazzup,

No Ceiner, but use a Colt conversion in some Colt rifle's.  

It's fun & kinda weird at the same time.  Short barrel (M4) is more accurate than the long one (24" C.A.R.).  Lock time, have to hold steady longer with the long barrel than with the shorter one.  Takes 10 seconds to convert to .22 LR.  Shoot rounds with normal .223 setup & then the LR and it's like shooting a bb gun.  No recoil, no noise.  But it's fun.  Have never had a jam with the Colt conversion.  I doubt you'd ever regret having a LR conversion kit.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Further,

Read here that you should convert back to centerfire after shooting LR and blast several rounds.  This will help clean out the gas tube.  Have done so and never had a problem with either setup afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Try looking for an Armi Jaeger/mitchell arms AP74. I have one and it is a blast to shoot and considerably lighter tan a conversion which makes it great for teaching younger shooters.
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of accuracy do you get out of your .22LR conversions?
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both a Ceiner and a Colt, I would go with a Colt is if you can find one.  The Ceiner will do.  I didn't experience any gas block in my Oly AR, but the 22LR rimfires are real dirty.  I would personally recommend that you clean your uppers religious after your shooting session because the residual burnt powder left behind is gritty like sand.  In terms of accurcy, it is so-so.  Remember, I think the 22LR bullet is like .223, and your standard 5.56 round is .224.  Make you wear eye protection, because every so often I would get hit with a few specks of hot powder granules.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#6]
parshooter,

What kind of 22lr ammo are you using?  I too have a Colt conversion and I got some jamming with the Federal HP Gold Match 22lr.  Is your conversion kit 22lr mag goes inside the regular AR mag?
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
AR_Rifle

Not sure now what kind of ammo i've used lately.  Will check after work.  WalMart special, big box of 500 loose rounds, copper jacketed.

After a thousand or so rounds, seems I've had one hiccup.  It surprised me how reliable the kit has been.  

Mine uses the mag that will insert same as a centerfire version.  Holds 10 or 11 rounds.  

Warlord,  Good advice on proper cleaning.  Shamed to confess I've not done so in the past.

Link Posted: 3/6/2001 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone tried the Aguila 55gr. 22lr in the conversions? I'd like to know how the heavy round works in the 1x7 and 1x9 twists.  Im thinking about getting a Ciener myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top