Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/1/2021 11:47:43 AM EDT
Whatever happened in 2020 happened.

Anyone out there ready to make changes in 2021?

People that were on track in 2020 and before are welcome too.

Please post about your goals (fat loss, muscle gain, etc.) and update your progress throughout the year.

I want this to be a place to ask questions, give tips... more than just transformation pics.

2020 Body Transformation Thread
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I am currently around 180, up from 160 a year ago.

I'm currently in a fat loss phase, trying to get my body fat back down near 10%. Hopefully I have gained muscle over the past year and will be heavier than 160

After that, I'm going to go back into a muscle building phase.

Goal is to put in a ton of effort while not aggravating any back, knee, wrist, and shoulder pain/injuries I have/have had.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Trigger warning

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm down under 200, attempting to get stronger and build a little. This is a first for me.

First time with a pre-workout and bcaa. Changed my food intake so that any starches/fruit are consumed after 5pm or so. It's all protein, fat and veggies.

No sugar. No bread/pasta. Haven't had a beer in 2 months. Working out 4-5 days a week.

Good start, I'm happy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Placeholder.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I lost my focus and got complacent the second half of 2020.  Back at it as of last week.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm down under 200, attempting to get stronger and build a little. This is a first for me.

First time with a pre-workout and bcaa. Changed my food intake so that any starches/fruit are consumed after 5pm or so. It's all protein, fat and veggies.

No sugar. No bread/pasta. Haven't had a beer in 2 months. Working out 4-5 days a week.

Good start, I'm happy.
View Quote

Welcome
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Try to get back into the groove you had in 2019.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I've gotten down from the 196 I was about 5 years ago in to the 160-165 zone (165 lbs this morning, 17.7% body fat at 6' tall) and am good at this weight, but need to get back in to working out and build back the muscle I used to have.  When I quit drinking and began eating better at my old apartment complex, they had a decent workout room with a corner all-in-one machine that I used religiously.  I built up muscle and was looking good, and they did away with it and put in some "toning" machine that sucks.  I've moved and am now without anything but some dumbbells so I want to either find a gym or get some more weights, a chin up bar, etc to put in here at the house or in the garage and get back in to working out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I will.  One of my problems is that the whole process of losing weight has been relatively easy and enjoyable for me.  Getting old though so I need to lose it and stay healthy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Working on this.  Want to get under 200 this year, 225 this AM.  Put on some weight after our office went to telemedicine and consults really slowed down, as these would make me walk all over the hospital.  Now lots of telemedicine from a desk.  Getting back into walking, starting the family on this also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've gotten down from the 196 I was about 5 years ago in to the 160-165 zone (165 lbs this morning, 17.7% body fat at 6' tall) and am good at this weight, but need to get back in to working out and build back the muscle I used to have.  When I quit drinking and began eating better at my old apartment complex, they had a decent workout room with a corner all-in-one machine that I used religiously.  I built up muscle and was looking good, and they did away with it and put in some "toning" machine that sucks.  I've moved and am now without anything but some dumbbells so I want to either find a gym or get some more weights, a chin up bar, etc to put in here at the house or in the garage and get back in to working out.
View Quote

Just try to gradually add things in. I do everything at home and don't feel like I'm missing out much. There's a lot you can do with just a set of gymnastics rings. Dumbbells additionally would be even better. The only things I really wish I had are a cable machine and leg machines. That might change after I get my Trump bucks 2.0
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was lifting with 5x5 in 2019, but started running out of plates about the time I was reaching a weight for squats where I was worried about injury (51 and lifting for the first time in my life). So I switched to an all-body program focused more on working a wider range of muscles + adding in cardio + increasing flexibility & mobility, but I wasn’t able to stick with it like I did with the 5x5 (possibly because it was 4-5 days/week vs 3 days/week, which made it easier to fit around work).

So, I’m not starting from scratch, but I am starting over to some degree because diet has fallen by the wayside and endless holiday sweets, carbs and guilty pleasure have packed on the extra 20 lbs they do every year. I don’t think I’m going back to keto - I just don’t think I can do it solo since the wife cooks 90% and is happy with low-carb - so I’m going to focus on better tracking (year membership to carb manager) and being honest with myself.

I may try 8/16 fasting on a daily basis since I seem to be able to stick with it pretty well, or I may just limit breakfast to eggs and/or keto coffee variant. We'll have to see how that goes. I’ll weigh in for an official start Monday once I get the NYE shit out of my system and clear the house of the leftover temptation sweets.
View Quote

Probably not a great idea to go super heavy, especially at your age. 5-30 reps is good for hypertrophy so you don't have to do sets of 5.

You're thinking right on the diet. Whatever you can stick to (with the wife preferably) is best. Anything from Keto to vegan can be healthy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Working on this.  Want to get under 200 this year, 225 this AM.  Put on some weight after our office went to telemedicine and consults really slowed down, as these would make me walk all over the hospital.  Now lots of telemedicine from a desk.  Getting back into walking, starting the family on this also.
View Quote

I don't use one anymore but you might want to look into a step counter. That way you can tell if you are about as active each day as you should be. The calorie count on them isn't accurate but the steps are a good indicator of how much you have done. Make a goal of 10,000 or whatever and try to get it every day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]

That's because HR is a shit metric.  HR is really easy to measure, but doesn't tell you what you think it's telling you, at least not without a lot of work to understand it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in a rut and can't seem to get going again . Four years ago a hundred miles a week on a bike was easy on top of two jobs two acres of lawn and a too large list of hobbies .

Foot surgery two years ago slowed me down and I got lazy forgetting how much better I felt in shape. My sugar , cholesterol  and PSA is all outta range and having stomach problems . My age is 56 and 198 pounds at 5'9" so over weight .

How to hell do I get going again ? I really don't like most vegetables so dieting is an issue but the wife and I have cut size of meals and cook better choices .  

I did ride the fat tire bike today in the snow chasing the grandson on the quad dang knees are feeling it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How to hell do I get going again ? I really don't like most vegetables so dieting is an issue but the wife and I have cut size of meals and cook better choices
View Quote

You can get "vegetables" in a powder supplement. Not the best taste, but quick to get it over with and still get the nutrients you need.

A quality probiotic is essential, imo. Other than that, I find the motivation is found in the doing. Just begin.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm in a rut and can't seem to get going again . Four years ago a hundred miles a week on a bike was easy on top of two jobs two acres of lawn and a too large list of hobbies .

Foot surgery two years ago slowed me down and I got lazy forgetting how much better I felt in shape. My sugar , cholesterol  and PSA is all outta range and having stomach problems . My age is 56 and 198 pounds at 5'9" so over weight .

How to hell do I get going again ? I really don't like most vegetables so dieting is an issue but the wife and I have cut size of meals and cook better choices .  

I did ride the fat tire bike today in the snow chasing the grandson on the quad dang knees are feeling it.
View Quote

One step at a time.

I'm not big on vegetables but there are lots of other low calorie dense foods. Popcorn, potatoes, oatmeal, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding, low calorie bread, brown rice, lean meat, basically all fresh and frozen fruits that don't have added sugar...

The bike shouldn't be too bad on your knees if you ease into it. Maybe try walking, elliptical, swimming?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m in. This years theme for me is pushing boundaries.  I’m 38 6’1 225lbs.  I hike/backpack a lot and do physical labor for work.  Time to cut out all the crap food and get down to 185.  I’m doing the 1,000 running challenge and want to complete my first 50k this year.  

So here’s to a year of pain and growth.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’m in. This years theme for me is pushing boundaries.  I’m 38 6’1 225lbs.  I hike/backpack a lot and do physical labor for work.  Time to cut out all the crap food and get down to 185.  I’m doing the 1,000 running challenge and want to complete my first 50k this year.  

So here’s to a year of pain and growth.
View Quote

My knees hurt just reading about that. I shoot for 1,000 km of fast pace walks and hikes each year.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, same as the last thread since I jumped in at the tail end.

34, 210lbs, 5’7”. Building up the strength doing linear progression right now, then going to focus on getting down to about 185 in a few months.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, same as the last thread since I jumped in at the tail end.

34, 210lbs, 5’7”. Building up the strength doing linear progression right now, then going to focus on getting down to about 185 in a few months.
View Quote

Welcome
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I lost about 40 pounds last year, gonna finish it up this year.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I lost about 40 pounds last year, gonna finish it up this year.
View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#27]
230 lbs checking in.  I want to see what 210 looks like on me to start but may want to get to 200 even.

Diet - I'm reducing alcohol, limiting carbs and doing 16/8 intermittent (which is how I typically eat anyway).  also doing a 24 hour fast, once per week.

Exercise - simple pyramix exercises with dumbbells every other day.  Cardio on the non-pyramix days (ETA elliptical mostly for cardio, has been easy on my knees).
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
1/4 - weigh in at 240.8

Goals:

1) Get at least 7 hrs sleep every night
2) Limit daily carbs to 50g or less
3) 30-60 min of exercise (weights or weights+cardio) 3-4 days/week
4) 0.5-1.0 gallons of water/day
5) Move more, sit less (computer job)
View Quote

Quoted:
230 lbs checking in.  I want to see what 210 looks like on me to start but may want to get to 200 even.

Diet - I'm reducing alcohol, limiting carbs and doing 16/8 intermittent (which is how I typically eat anyway).  also doing a 24 hour fast, once per week.

Exercise - simple pyramix exercises with dumbbells every other day.  Cardio on the non-pyramix days (ETA elliptical mostly for cardio, has been easy on my knees).
View Quote

Good to see you guys.

I don't like putting a final number goal down. Just take it a little at a time and reassess once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Down 8 lbs since last Wednesday.  50-60 more to go.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Good morning!

M 41, 6’, 172lbs. Covid shutdowns closes my gym last spring and I’m trying to get started again. But I have a 4week old daughter along with a 2yr old son and 8 yr old daughter so it’s hard to find time. I’ve started doing some body weight things at home until I can get back to the gym to lift.

I don’t really need to lose weight but I’d like to lose a little of my emerging beer belly and gain a little muscle. Mainly my goal is just to stay active and get in shape as I’m aging.

Have a hard time with my diet as cooking for kids and family is hard to eat lean. Yes love veggies and meats but I’m not that creative on recipes or cooking them. I don’t mind simple but my planning is lacking.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good morning!

M 41, 6’, 172lbs. Covid shutdowns closes my gym last spring and I’m trying to get started again. But I have a 4week old daughter along with a 2yr old son and 8 yr old daughter so it’s hard to find time. I’ve started doing some body weight things at home until I can get back to the gym to lift.

I don’t really need to lose weight but I’d like to lose a little of my emerging beer belly and gain a little muscle. Mainly my goal is just to stay active and get in shape as I’m aging.

Have a hard time with my diet as cooking for kids and family is hard to eat lean. Yes love veggies and meats but I’m not that creative on recipes or cooking them. I don’t mind simple but my planning is lacking.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!
View Quote

Good to see you in here.

I understand that you don't want to necessarily lose weight but it's probably easier to intentionally lose weight to lose fat than it is to try and "recomp". You can easily lose 1.5 lbs per week in a deficit and reach your goal quickly and know that you are on track.

I can relate about the kids. I have one that just started standing that's still breastfeeding, a 2 year old that's potty training, a 4 year old, and a 6, 8, and 10 year old e-learning. They're doing Scouts and gymnastics currently.

For diet, they eat pretty healthy but we're not really strict with them. They ate normal pancakes this morning with maple syrup, fruit, and milk. I ate oatmeal instead. Sometimes we all eat the same thing and sometimes my kids, my wife, and I all eat something different. It's really not that big of a deal. We don't have chips and Little Debbie's lying around though.

For exercise, I try to get in 1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of lifting weights in most days. It's not easy. When I'm at work, I'll take a walk on my lunch break. Get up early and work out before they get up. Get the kids involved. I take mine on hikes on the weekends. Get to carry the 2 year old in a baby carrier too. My wife will watch the kids while I work out and I'll watch them while she works out. The nearest gym is 30 minutes away so I work out at home. Saves me an hour of driving.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

As of this morning I'm 224.5.  I'm down 5.5 lbs since I started just after Christmas.

Pyramix today, run and gun on Saturday and a weighted ruck on Sunday.  Then back to the pyramix on Monday.

EAT - I'm going to keep posting my results here.  I'm pretty determined right now, want to keep that motivation fresh.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As of this morning I'm 224.5.  I'm down 5.5 lbs since I started just after Christmas.

Pyramix today, run and gun on Saturday and a weighted ruck on Sunday.  Then back to the pyramix on Monday.

EAT - I'm going to keep posting my results here.  I'm pretty determined right now, want to keep that motivation fresh.
View Quote

If it keeps you accountable, I'm for it!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:26:08 AM EDT
[#34]
5'8" 190 lbs, probably 20 - 25% fat. Okay with my composition, originally wanted to maintain current strength and get back to a 5:00 mile.
Dislocated my R knee on a trail run yesterday, so now just hoping to recover as close to 100% as I can. My MCL is a worn out rubber band right now so just hoping to stand/walk without crutches by next month.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
5'8" 190 lbs, probably 20 - 25% fat. Okay with my composition, originally wanted to maintain current strength and get back to a 5:00 mile.
Dislocated my R knee on a trail run yesterday, so now just hoping to recover as close to 100% as I can. My MCL is a worn out rubber band right now so just hoping to stand/walk without crutches by next month.
View Quote

Ouch! Wish you a speedy recovery.

Guys, take it slow and be careful.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it will help.  weighing myself once per week, on friday mornings.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

01/04 - weigh in at 240.8
01/11 - weigh in at 235.5 (5.3 lb net loss)

Diet has been good. Sleep has been pretty good. Exercise has been bad - schedule and knee not feeling up to it so I spent the week focused on my eating, and really stuck to my 16/8 and very few carbs. I splurged with a bowl of popcorn Sunday evening to celebrate. Still struggling to get in 2 qts/day minimum.
View Quote

Had a nutritionist once tell me popcorn's actually not a bad way to snack for cutting carbs and balancing hydration if you add some salt.
Whether she's right or not I hope I can keep  popcorn and carrots as filler snacks forever.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:12:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I wish that were true - when I'm not on any particular meal plan, I have a bowl every night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diet has been good. Sleep has been pretty good. Exercise has been bad - schedule and knee not feeling up to it so I spent the week focused on my eating, and really stuck to my 16/8 and very few carbs. I splurged with a bowl of popcorn Sunday evening to celebrate. Still struggling to get in 2 qts/day minimum.

Had a nutritionist once tell me popcorn's actually not a bad way to snack for cutting carbs and balancing hydration if you add some salt.
Whether she's right or not I hope I can keep  popcorn and carrots as filler snacks forever.

I wish that were true - when I'm not on any particular meal plan, I have a bowl every night.

For a person not on low carb, like me, there's nothing wrong with popcorn every so often. I eat Orville Redenbacher's smartpop. The small bags are only 100 calories and have 4 grams of fiber.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll jump in on Feb 1st when i start my cut.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Completely forgot I posted in last years thread. I ended up gaining about 12 pounds, up to 155 now. Really got into kettle bells last spring, and I’m currently doing the 10,000 kb swing in a month workout.

I ran about 3.5 miles of mostly hills last night, I haven’t run since October. Unfortunately my right knee started swelling almost immediately after so I’ll probably just be doing upper body stuff for a day or two.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You can get "vegetables" in a powder supplement. Not the best taste, but quick to get it over with and still get the nutrients you need.

A quality probiotic is essential, imo. Other than that, I find the motivation is found in the doing. Just begin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How to hell do I get going again ? I really don't like most vegetables so dieting is an issue but the wife and I have cut size of meals and cook better choices

Maybe look into carnivore diet
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Completely forgot I posted in last years thread. I ended up gaining about 12 pounds, up to 155 now. Really got into kettle bells last spring, and I’m currently doing the 10,000 kb swing in a month workout.

I ran about 3.5 miles of mostly hills last night, I haven’t run since October. Unfortunately my right knee started swelling almost immediately after so I’ll probably just be doing upper body stuff for a day or two.
View Quote

Yeah, not a good idea to run 3.5 miles in the hills after not running for months. Can't say I'm a fan of an arbitrary number of reps in a certain time period workout either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

First thing in the morning you should be able to down at least a pint if not a whole quart of water. Then have a water bottle with you throughout the day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#46]
34M 5’11” 248lbs. I was down from 305 September 2019 to 225 September 2020. Put weight back on recovering from reconstructive ear surgery in the fall. Gave up drinking now quitting smoking. I want to get below 200 by the end of the year. Started running 1.5-2.5 miles on my lunch break. I’ve got a ruck pack and a 20# weight coming in the mail. I lift a few times a week, high reps low weight, not looking to build muscle yet. I do yoga once a week and try to stretch and work my core every morning for 30 minutes. Doing a 20/4 fast Monday thru Friday and watching what I eat on the weekends. Good job and good luck to everyone getting after it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
34M 5’11” 248lbs. I was down from 305 September 2019 to 225 September 2020. Put weight back on recovering from reconstructive ear surgery in the fall. Gave up drinking now quitting smoking. I want to get below 200 by the end of the year. Started running 1.5-2.5 miles on my lunch break. I’ve got a ruck pack and a 20# weight coming in the mail. I lift a few times a week, high reps low weight, not looking to build muscle yet. I do yoga once a week and try to stretch and work my core every morning for 30 minutes. Doing a 20/4 fast Monday thru Friday and watching what I eat on the weekends. Good job and good luck to everyone getting after it.
View Quote

I wish you luck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Still working on Linear Progression and enjoying it. I haven’t stepped on a scale lately, but I’m down over an inch in the navel measurement and my pants are fitting much better, so I’m happy without knowing what the scale says.

I have also started tracking calories/macros for the first time. That is pretty eye opening! I knew I ate a lot of carbs, but figured I was always decent on protein, and it turns out I was waaaay wrong on that. So, those numbers have been getting bumped up/down.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Still working on Linear Progression and enjoying it. I haven’t stepped on a scale lately, but I’m down over an inch in the navel measurement and my pants are fitting much better, so I’m happy without knowing what the scale says.

I have also started tracking calories/macros for the first time. That is pretty eye opening! I knew I ate a lot of carbs, but figured I was always decent on protein, and it turns out I was waaaay wrong on that. So, those numbers have been getting bumped up/down.
View Quote

That's the truth. Chicken nuggies, peanut butter, and other "protein" sources barely have any protein.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I guess it's my turn.

2018 was spent losing 60 pounds between diet and exercise.

2019 was spent getting kind of cut and testing for LEO jobs. 50/50 lifting and cardio. Probably was in the best shape of my life.

2020 my world changed along with everyone elses. I have stopped chasing LEO jobs but changed careers. The shutdown hit my gym for 3 months. I did bodyweight exercises at home but it's not the same. I also quit doing most cardio. After the gyms re-opened, I hit the weights really hard and started to put on some mass.

2021 has been a bit of a challenge for my fitness. I'm not yet part of the home gym master race but I will be. My new work schedule is basically 7pm to 8 or 9am, 5 nights a week. I am able to sneak in about 30 minutes at the gym on my way home but that's it until the weekend when I get 2 full workouts in. Push/pull/leg split 6 days a week with 1 rest day have been my program for years and I'll probably stay with it for the time being.

So what do I want to accomplish this year? Hard to say. I'm at a weird point. I don't have any desire to get super strong but I'm going to really start going heavier on my lifts. My focus has always been staying lean with a eye towards endurance. I'm enjoying the mass I'm putting on so I think I'd like to add some more without putting on much fat. I know that's the hard way, but a clean bulk is more my speed. Also, I need to get my cardio back up to where it was.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top