Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2014 12:12:39 PM EDT
Ive been looking at this vehicle (specifically trailhawk with v6) the last few days and know a few of you have one or have had one for a while. Ive read alot of reviews and different things but nothing long term. Im curious about real world mileage, most seem to report 24.5 average mpg. My wife and I have 2 kids, 7 year old 6 month old and one in the oven. So there would be two car seats currently in use for a little bit anyhow.

This vehicle is in direct competition with a 4 door wrangler. We owned one before (2011 model) and we really loved it, doors off, top down fun really struck a chord with my wife. I am a Wrangler guy at heart. Sadly we didnt really "get" to do much off-roading. Ive lost touch with all my offroad friends and there arent really any trails around here. With that said there are jeep trail rides scheduled every now and then, some are scenic and some are more serious so its a possibility.

The way I see it seems is the Cherokee is more road friendly and has alot more creature comforts available but still pretty capable offroad and the wrangler gets less mpg but gives more offroad capability/fun experience. We want a hard top wrangler if we got one and to me that means we arent taking the top off of it because I cant lift it and I dont really have a spot to store it. To me that limits the "fun" factor a little. A massive sunroof is an option for the Cherokee though... I can get full skidplates and a locker on the cherokee not an option on the sport s.

What I want to know about the Cherokee from you that have drove one for a while is:
What real world mpg have you gotten? (what engine and driving style do you have?)
How has reliability been? I know the transmission has had a few failures but it seems to be a very small percentage.
Storage space wise how is it working out for you?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Like you, I love Wranglers.  I owned a 2010 UL Rubicon which I really miss.  I was a tank off road and was surprisingly civil on road.

As part of my job, I drive nearly 60,000 miles each year.  Prior to my current AWD Ford Taurus, I had a 2012 Jeep Patriot AWD and a 2010 Jeep Liberty 4wd (all were company cars).  I ran all of these harder than an average person, including 3-6+ miles off pavement every day.  I love Jeep products, but something was always breaking.  The oil change interval was 6k miles (basically one every 6 weeks or so) and the dealer always found something that was wrong.  It was usually steering or suspension parts, but i had some electrical issues as well.  The Patriot was on it's third CVT transmission when i turned it in at 72,000 miles.  

I realize none of my experience is with the new Cherokee, but the fact that I've put a ton of miles on 3 late model Jeep products seemed relevant.  The Cherokee is probably a lot better than the other vehicles I had, but Chrysler isn't known for quality, so that would make me a little hesitant to put down a hefty chunk of my own money without knowing more about the longevity.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok I have a v6 TH
Mpg as of 5500 miles is 21 mpg on secondary roads with the gas to the floor most of the time.
I have had no problems with anything on the car, and I very fun and extremely comfortable to drive.

If you have another questions just ask

Edit room in the back seats is good,  trunk space is small but the wife and I have no problems going on trips.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok I have a v6 TH
Mpg as of 5500 miles is 21 mpg on secondary roads with the gas to the floor most of the time.
I have had no problems with anything on the car, and I very fun and extremely comfortable to drive.

Edit room in the back seats is good,  trunk space is small but the wife and I have no problems going on trips.
View Quote

I'm actually considering the 4cyl for more mileage. But not sure. How do you think 3 kids would work in the back?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
My 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee finally kicked the bucket.  It was a great vehicle with little issues, and I've always liked the Jeep brand.  Just bought a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with a soft top.  It's a great vehicle for what it is.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Like you, I love Wranglers.  I owned a 2010 UL Rubicon which I really miss.  I was a tank off road and was surprisingly civil on road.

As part of my job, I drive nearly 60,000 miles each year.  Prior to my current AWD Ford Taurus, I had a 2012 Jeep Patriot AWD and a 2010 Jeep Liberty 4wd (all were company cars).  I ran all of these harder than an average person, including 3-6+ miles off pavement every day.  I love Jeep products, but something was always breaking.  The oil change interval was 6k miles (basically one every 6 weeks or so) and the dealer always found something that was wrong.  It was usually steering or suspension parts, but i had some electrical issues as well.  The Patriot was on it's third CVT transmission when i turned it in at 72,000 miles.  

I realize none of my experience is with the new Cherokee, but the fact that I've put a ton of miles on 3 late model Jeep products seemed relevant.  The Cherokee is probably a lot better than the other vehicles I had, but Chrysler isn't known for quality, so that would make me a little hesitant to put down a hefty chunk of my own money without knowing more about the longevity.
View Quote

Yeah I hear ya. I've owned a 2003 Rubicon, 2011 unlimited, 2012 patriot. Zero issues but we didn't own them that long. They are a bit pricey and I'm trying to be realistic with needs/wants. As cool as the parking thing is or vented seats I don't think I really need. I've got to balance it or the wife will take it. Lol
I do wish they had another transmission offering.

The other vehicle I was looking at was the Nissan rogue. It is a lot smaller, cvt transmission but has some cool storage space and an optional 3rd row seat.

I've been all over several jeep forums with dedicated new Cherokee sections and everyone loves it, complaints are the small gas tank and most everyone gets the same mpg.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
We bought a Trailhawk for my wife after owning a Lexus RX 330 for ten years, and she loves it.
Quiet, handles and rides better than the Lexus ( cars have improved since we bought it)
She's got a little over 3000 miles on it and averages 24 mpg or so driving to and from work

Would recommend
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee finally kicked the bucket.  It was a great vehicle with little issues, and I've always liked the Jeep brand.  Just bought a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with a soft top.  It's a great vehicle for what it is.
View Quote

Yeah we loved ours. It didn't even have the new engine. I know if I get a wrangler it won't be long until I'm looking at lofts then tires then bumpers then superchargers on and on. I know just empty every pocket...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We bought a Trailhawk for my wife after owning a Lexus RX 330 for ten years, and she loves it.
Quiet, handles and rides better than the Lexus ( cars have improved since we bought it)
She's got a little over 3000 miles on it and averages 24 mpg or so driving to and from work

Would recommend
View Quote

Everyone who has one really likes it. I have only seen 1-2 around town, wranglers everywhere. When I saw them online I wasn't sure, in person I think they are great looking.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm actually considering the 4cyl for more mileage. But not sure. How do you think 3 kids would work in the back?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I have a v6 TH

It could work depends on how big the kids are but I'm 6'2" and I fit just fine
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I have a v6 TH

I'm only about 5'5".
Oldest is only 7, next is 6 months, the other hasn't been born yet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
It could be tight but I think it could work.  Like I said I love the car go drive one and see for yourself
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It could be tight but I think it could work.  Like I said I love the car go drive one and see for yourself
View Quote

Not ready to buy just yet. Maybe here in a month or two. Just research mode right now. Our other vehicle is an elantra. Small car and great mileage. Will be real tight with 2 car seats in the back.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
We have a 2014 patriot. It is the same chassis as the cherokee.

Not a wrangler substitute in any way shape or form. This thing is a pale shadow of it's stablemate a 2008 grand cherokee.

Decent mileage. No issues yet. 12k miles in a year.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not ready to buy just yet. Maybe here in a month or two. Just research mode right now. Our other vehicle is an elantra. Small car and great mileage. Will be real tight with 2 car seats in the back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 car seats should be ok
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

2 car seats should be ok
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 car seats should be ok

I think it will be okay in the Cherokee but not great in the elantra.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I have close to 5K miles on mine, no issues. Most that have had tranny issues/were built in '13.
MPG between the 4 and 6 is a wash. 6 is more expensive but quieter and a lot more power.
I have the 6, drive ~70/30 hwy/city and currently getting 28.6 MPG. For family trips cargo space is limited but seats are comfortable with a lot of room in the back seat if adjusted back. It comes w/roof rails, so I have a luggage pod when I need more space.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok I have a v6 TH

Does a four cylinder trail hawk actually exist?  I have never seen one on any lot, or read a single review on one.  

But I am now very curious about performance and MPG for a four banger TH
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does a four cylinder trail hawk actually exist?  I have never seen one on any lot, or read a single review on one.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I have a v6 TH

yeah they exist, actually standard engine. The 6 cyl is an upgrade. 4 cyl = mpg but lack of power, 6 not as good mpg but more power. Ill go 6 i think.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Love mine. V6, tow, sunroof, 9 speakers, and tech package. My combined city and highway is 22 MPG, but most of my drives are short and in town. Would be higher with more highway driving. No issues at all. Mine has  build date of 06/14.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae237/Redscale/Mobile%20Uploads/20140625_162810_zpsmwvk8fsp.jpg

Love mine. V6, tow, sunroof, 9 speakers, and tech package. My combined city and highway is 22 MPG, but most of my drives are short and in town. Would be higher with more highway driving. No issues at all. Mine has  build date of 06/14.
View Quote

nice! I really feel like this would be the ideal vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae237/Redscale/Mobile%20Uploads/20140625_162810_zpsmwvk8fsp.jpg

It's not a bad vehicle for what it is. Mine's not a Trail Hawk, so the only thing I need to do is wait for snow, so I can see how the AWD system handles the winter here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's not a bad vehicle for what it is. Mine's not a Trail Hawk, so the only thing I need to do is wait for snow, so I can see how the AWD system handles the winter here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

does yours have the low range setup or is it an awd style?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is the Active Drive 1 (AWD ). Low is on the AD 2 systems and TH.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

our patriot had what i presume is ad 1 and it did great in snow. saved our butts on some ice once too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 2014 Limited with the 4x4 3.2L V6 9 Speed transmission. No complaints so far. It is, oddly enough, only being driven around town atm and gets about 20mpg.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 2014 Limited with the 4x4 3.2L V6 9 Speed transmission. No complaints so far. It is, oddly enough, only being driven around town atm and gets about 20mpg.

View Quote

good to know!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That 9 speed does wonders for in town driving. I'm getting the same MPG for intown as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

our patriot had what i presume is ad 1 and it did great in snow. saved our butts on some ice once too.
View Quote

The Patriot has Freedom Drive 1 and 2 and has a lock mode that the Cherokee does not have. Either way, I'm sure it will do well in snow for me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Patriot has Freedom Drive 1 and 2 and has a lock mode that the Cherokee does not have. Either way, I'm sure it will do well in snow for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

interesting. Ours just had the one mode, 4wd no low or anything like that. it worked great though. We were on our way to a dr appointment and there was lots of ice I was behind a semi truck and we were going across a 3 lane bridge. At the end of a bridge is a sharp right turn and the semi trucker figured he wasnt going to make it and had to slow way down. He was sliding but not close to a jackknife or anything but I had to slow down too and kinda fast. As i hit the brakes we slid as well and it seemed like forever, time slowed down and all that, we finally stopped and i didnt hit the guy. the traction and tires etc worked great and I never had any trouble climbing nice hills in 4-6" of snow in that thing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#30]
was curious as to what packages you guys got or wish you hadnt gotten?

They seem to wrap certain packages in a way where you have to get them all.
Wife really wants the cold weather package and remote start. (even though she has her own car with heated seats etc...)
I like the adaptive cruise and crash mitigation (I drive 95% of the time, cruise control all the time, crash mitigation im thinking fog/deer)
With kids we use the lift gate every trip sometimes 2-3 times.
so we may as well get every single package and save up that amount for a down payment.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Go troll elsewhere. This is a tech forum. Also the Cherokee is not missing it's lower front end.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wife really wants the cold weather package and remote start. (even though she has her own car with heated seats etc...)
I like the adaptive cruise and crash mitigation (I drive 95% of the time, cruise control all the time, crash mitigation im thinking fog/deer)
so we may as well get every single package and save up that amount for a down payment.

View Quote

The one I test drove had the cold weather package. It was nice, but not worth the extra money to me. My Jeep is garaged all the time and rarely sits outside for a long period of time, but I'm the minority here and that package may work very well for others. Other than that, I got all the packages I wanted/ needed. The lift gate is great and can be activated with the fob. The auto unlocking feature is great as well. Especially if your hands are full. The lock function on the door handle can be finicky at times. It's not instant and takes a few pushes of the button on the door to lock the vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The one I test drove had the cold weather package. It was nice, but not worth the extra money to me. My Jeep is garaged all the time and rarely sits outside for a long period of time, but I'm the minority here and that package may work very well for others. Other than that, I got all the packages I wanted/ needed. The lift gate is great and can be activated with the fob. The auto unlocking feature is great as well. Especially if your hands are full. The lock function on the door handle can be finicky at times. It's not instant and takes a few pushes of the button on the door to lock the vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We use the keyfob on the elantra for the trunk all the time so its something I may as well get. Thanks for all your help btw. My daily driver is a 1990 K5 Blazer. No carpet, no speedometer, no radio, with 35's. Going to something like will be night and day. But as big and heavy as this truck is Im not sure its all that safe as far as collisions go. Its an awful time to get car seats in and out of too right now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We use the keyfob on the elantra for the trunk all the time so its something I may as well get. Thanks for all your help btw. My daily driver is a 1990 K5 Blazer. No carpet, no speedometer, no radio, with 35's. Going to something like will be night and day. But as big and heavy as this truck is Im not sure its all that safe as far as collisions go. Its an awful time to get car seats in and out of too right now.
View Quote

To the underlined part: I hate you. I've wanted a K5 so bad for years.

The lift gate also has a button inside the trunk area to close it. It helps out a lot if you have back issues or other similar problems with bending or reaching. As Smally127 said, if you have any questions or need pictures of something on the vehicle. Just ask and I'll do my best to answer your question.

Also to add the ground clearance is nice on these vehicles 8.2 inches on my Latitude and 8.8 on the trailhawk.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The lift gate also has a button inside the trunk area to close it. It helps out a lot if you have back issues or other similar problems with bending or reaching. As Smally127 said, if you have any questions or need pictures of something on the vehicle. Just ask and I'll do my best to answer your question.

Also to add the ground clearance is nice on these vehicles 8.2 inches on my Latitude and 8.8 on the trailhawk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love this K5 and just got it a few months ago. Virtually no rust, 14 bolt full floater rear, dana 44 front, np205 case. I love it. But i would have to have a custom part for the transfer case to make some electronics work or swap it out, lower it and get some good seatbelts for the back etc. If it all works out i plan on selling it for the down payment of this. I hate to but this last baby was kind of a surprise and its just time to move on I guess. Kinda sucks but a trailhawk will make it easier I think.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I love this K5 and just got it a few months ago. Virtually no rust, 14 bolt full floater rear, dana 44 front, np205 case. I love it. But i would have to have a custom part for the transfer case to make some electronics work or swap it out, lower it and get some good seatbelts for the back etc. If it all works out i plan on selling it for the down payment of this. I hate to but this last baby was kind of a surprise and its just time to move on I guess. Kinda sucks but a trailhawk will make it easier I think.
View Quote

I think you'll like the Cherokee. Sorry that you have to sell the K5 though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok rundown of mine
V6
Trailhawk
Cold weather
Comfort and convenience
Leather
Nav
And CD yes I got the CD player

So far I. Really happy with the car and would only add the tow groop but I can put that on later(I don't tow anything just want it for a cargo rack for dead deer when I shoot them)

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

trying to figure out how I can keep the wife from stealing it if I got one though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ok rundown of mine
V6
Trailhawk
Cold weather
Comfort and convenience
Leather
Nav

So far I. Really happy with the car and would only add the tow groop but I can put that on later(I don't tow anything just want it for a cargo rack for dead deer when I shoot them)

View Quote

EXACTLY what i was thinking.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

trying to figure out how I can keep the wife from stealing it if I got one though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy 2?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok rundown of mine
V6
Trailhawk
Cold weather
Comfort and convenience
Leather
Nav

Have the cd player as well, but never used it. The USB ports and SD card slots are great as well. If you like music, get the 9 speaker audio system as well. It's pretty nice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ok rundown of mine
V6
Trailhawk
Cold weather
Comfort and convenience
Leather
Nav

View Quote

Will cost you an arm and a leg to do that. Just an FYI. One of the questions I asked before I got mine. As I was considering on not getting it at first and adding it later.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Buy 2?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy 2?

haha she just bought her elantra. not even done the first oil change yet.
speaking of elantra, its the only vehicle ive eve seen get better mileage than what the sticker said. we got 42 mpg doing 70 with the a/c on. only lists 38 I think. it has a 6spd auto and its smooth.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

speaking of elantra, its the only vehicle ive eve seen get better mileage than what the sticker said. we got 42 mpg doing 70 with the a/c on. only lists 38 I think. it has a 6spd auto and its smooth.
View Quote

Well if she just got a new Elantra, then the Cherokee is off limits.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Have the cd player as well, but never used it. The USB ports and SD card slots are great as well. If you like music, get the 9 speaker audio system as well. It's pretty nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok rundown of mine
V6
Trailhawk
Cold weather
Comfort and convenience
Leather
Nav

may have to consider the speaker upgrade. sd card slot is pretty cool. I saw a youtube video and the guy didnt know what it was for, said the salesman told him he could put pictures on a card and see them on the screen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats what im going with. unless its snowing out and she needs 4wd or something.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Forgot I have to good sound system so nice
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Forgot I have to good sound system so nice
View Quote

cool. the one in the Patriot was awesome, the elantra is not good at all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you ever wish you had bought the Trail Hawk instead of the Latitude?  Is the Latitude clearance high enough?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top