Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 10:55:04 AM EDT
Liberalism does seem to be a mental disease.

Do you think the Academy Awards is totally out of touch with the viewing public ?

movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2006/nomineelist

The following is a complete list of the 78th annual Oscar nominations announced Tuesday, Jan.  31, in Beverly Hills, Calif., by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences:

1. Best Picture: "Brokeback Mountain," "Capote," "Crash," "Good Night, and Good Luck.," "Munich."

2. Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"; Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow"; Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"; Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"; David Strathairn, "Good Night, and Good Luck."

3. Actress: Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"; Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"; Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"; Charlize Theron, "North Country"; Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line."

4. Supporting Actor: George Clooney, "Syriana"; Matt Dillon, "Crash"; Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"; Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain"; William Hurt, "A History of Violence."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "Junebug"; Catherine Keener, "Capote"; Frances McDormand, "North Country"; Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"; Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain."

6. Director: Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"; Bennett Miller, "Capote"; Paul Haggis, "Crash"; George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck."; Steven Spielberg, "Munich."

7. Foreign Film: "Don't Tell," Italy; "Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas)," France; "Paradise Now," Palestine; "Sophie Scholl — The Final Days," Germany; "Tsotsi," South Africa.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain"; Dan Futterman, "Capote"; Jeffrey Caine, "The Constant Gardener"; Josh Olson, "A History of Violence"; Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, "Munich."

9. Original Screenplay: Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, "Crash"; George Clooney and Grant Heslov, "Good Night, and Good Luck"; Woody Allen, "Match Point"; Noah Baumbach, "The Squid and the Whale"; Stephen Gaghan, "Syriana."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Howl's Moving Castle"; "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride"; "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit."

11. Art Direction: "Good Night, and Good Luck.," "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," "King Kong," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "Pride & Prejudice."

12. Cinematography: "Batman Begins," "Brokeback Mountain," "Good Night, and Good Luck.," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "The New World."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," "King Kong," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "Walk the Line," "War of the Worlds."

14. Sound Editing: "King Kong," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "War of the Worlds."

15. Original Score: "Brokeback Mountain," Gustavo Santaolalla; "The Constant Gardener," Alberto Iglesias; "Memoirs of a Geisha," John Williams; "Munich," John Williams; "Pride & Prejudice," Dario Marianelli.

16. Original Song: "In the Deep" from "Crash," Kathleen "Bird" York and Michael Becker; "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from "Hustle & Flow," Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard; "Travelin' Thru" from "Transamerica," Dolly Parton.

17. Costume: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Memoirs of a Geisha," "Mrs. Henderson Presents," "Pride & Prejudice," "Walk the Line."

18. Documentary Feature: "Darwin's Nightmare," "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room," "March of the Penguins," "Murderball," "Street Fight."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club," "God Sleeps in Rwanda," "The Mushroom Club," "A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin."

20. Film Editing: "Cinderella Man," "The Constant Gardener," "Crash," "Munich," "Walk the Line."

21. Makeup: "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," "Cinderella Man," "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith."

22. Animated Short Film: "Badgered," "The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation," "The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello," "9," "One Man Band."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Ausreisser (The Runaway)," "Cashback," "The Last Farm," "Our Time Is Up," "Six Shooter."

24. Visual Effects: "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," "King Kong," "War of the Worlds."

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Crash was good.  Munich sucked.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The only one I saw in that entire list was Narnia.

It was "okay".   All the rest I couldn't care less about...

- CD
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Crash was an awesome movie. It would have been the odds on favorite before "Bareback Mounting"

roy d...I guess cute actors going gay in the saddle trumps a realistic and gritty essay on race in America
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The only one of those I saw was Batman Begins.  Great movie.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#5]
All this hype about the "Rump Rangers" movie makes my blood boil.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#6]
And the "Academy Awards" are important to who? Hollyweirdos who are soooooo important to me? I don't think so. Those awards are important to people that are so screwed up, generally speaking, that they have all lost their relevance to me and most people I know, a long time ago.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
And so the annual mutual circle-jerk commences.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I refuse to watch/pay attention to those awards ever since SPR lost "Best Picture" to that shakespear romance crap that everyone has by now forgotten about. My contempt for this organization has strenghtened ever since mikey won an award for BFC and the Passion was completely shut out of the awards.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't seen any of the ones nominated for best director, picture, actor/supporting actor/actress.....

wow...I guess I just don't like Hollywierd anymore

I almost went to see "Munich," but then got the lowdown here.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I haven't seen any of the ones nominated for best director, picture, actor/supporting actor/actress.....

watch it, great film. The reason people here didn't like it was because it had a "violence begets violence" message and portrayed Mossad as bad as the Palestineans(which in fact they were... and are, killing innocents makes you a scumbag whether or not you are Jewish or Arab.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Crash was a bunch of race-baiting nonsense.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crash was a bunch of race-baiting nonsense.  

the truth hits a nerve... doesn't it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#13]
In 2006 the American culture war grew slightly warmer.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And so the annual mutual circle-jerk commences.

no crap... how many different awards do these guys get? Academy/oscars, peoples choice, I saw an advert for the "screen actors guild" awards the other night, Emmies (not really Hollywood I know), MTV, VH1....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
And the "Academy Awards" are important to who? Hollyweirdos who are soooooo important to me? I don't think so. Those awards are important to people that are so screwed up, generally speaking, that they have all lost their relevance to me and most people I know, a long time ago.

Well said.

Ignore the talking monkeys in Hollyweird.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
The Academy Awards show is about highlighting more artsy, edgier films, not about what is neccesarily the most popular. For that you have stuff like the Peoples Choice Award show.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#17]
What? No one liked Munich? I thought it was really good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Academy Awards show is about highlighting more artsy, edgier films, not about what is neccesarily the most popular. For that you have stuff like the Peoples Choice Award show.

No, they're not.

Return of the King? Gladiator? Titanic? Braveheart?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
In 2006 the American culture war grew slightly warmer.....

My thought precisely.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#20]
The only movie I have seen in the first 10 categories was Cindarella Man.  I liked it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Crash was an awesome movie. It would have been the odds on favorite before "Bareback Mounting"

roy d...I guess cute actors going gay in the saddle trumps a realistic and gritty essay on race in America

Crash was a piece of shit.  I turned the DVD off halfway through and sent it back to NetFlix.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I am done with the movies.

Hollywood has shit in their hat for the last time with me.  I entered a movie theater less than 5 times in 2005.  I expect it to be 0 in 2006.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#23]
not much of a surprise here? Leftist people tend to be more artsy farsty, and hence, are more likely to get their agenda films nominated. Maybe having a few artsy fartsy right wingers wouldn't hurt.

Nice to see the constant gardener got a lot of attention. And Crash was an awesome movie, if you are too close minded to even finish a movie like that, how can you survive in modern America? Are you living under a rock?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't been to any of those movies.  I did see parts of Charlie/Chocolate Factory at my niece/nephew's house.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
not much of a surprise here? Leftist people tend to be more artsy farsty, and hence, are more likely to get their agenda films nominated. Maybe having a few artsy fartsy right wingers wouldn't hurt.

Nice to see the constant gardener got a lot of attention. And Crash was an awesome movie, if you are too close minded to even finish a movie like that, how can you survive in modern America? Are you living under a rock?

I'm closed minded so that my brains don't fall out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I am not crawling under a rock like you...

There are movies from the right but they are never going to get a chance in the close-minded circles of the left.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

watch it, great film. The reason people here didn't like it was because it had a "violence begets violence" message and portrayed Mossad as bad as the Palestineans(which in fact they were... and are, killing innocents makes you a scumbag whether or not you are Jewish or Arab.)

When did the Mossad target innocents? I know that one of the teams seeking payback for the Munich masscre killed an innocent by accident, but the Arab terrorists target innocents on purpose. To my knowledge, Mossad has not done that. In fact, what I do know suggest they are very careful about targeting the bad guys. The book Vengence makes that clear. And Munich is based on Vengence .

George Jonas, who wrote Vengence , dislikes Munich because it distorted his book. In contrast, Robert Fisk likes the movie. But then, bin Laden recommended Fisk in one of his speeches.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#28]
And "Hollywood" keeps wondering why they are losing their audience base and their revenue's continue to drop.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#29]
WTF are you surprised.  It's Hollywoods "We love Ourselves" celebration, why should they care what you think?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

IMO crash was BY FAR the best film of the year...  VERY good movie...

u know it wont win tho...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I must have missed something.  I saw Crash in the theater and left somewhere in the middle.  What a pile of garbage.  It was like this liberal wet dream come true, where everone is an absolute raving racist.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#32]
<--- i am disappointed to see that the devil's rejects  wasn't nominated for anything
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they're not.

Return of the King? Gladiator? Titanic? Braveheart?

Of course you get SOME popular movies getting a  nod, but in general they tend to also go for more than just what is popular at the box office with Middle America.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top