Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2001 1:40:25 PM EDT
This is my first post so I would like to say hello to all.

Now lets get down to the business.  I have a Bushmaster 16" hbar.  After about 7 months of pretty regular shooting (about 3-4 times a month, and working on 3000 rounds) I tried 200 yard groups today.  I read what people claim to shoot at similar ranges and I'm not close.

I use open sights and since I have no bench the best I can do is the prone position.  Shot at an eight inch shoot and see target.  From center to center of a five round group measured 5.45, 5.62, 5.83, and 7.41.  Standing the groups consistently hovered around the 7 inch range.

Should this be expected, I had trouble even seeing the circle at this range, and felt I only pulled off on a couple of shots.  If anyone has any suggestions to tighten up these groups I would appreciate it.  I used about 5 types of ammo, all 55 grain.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, JRJ.

This sounds like what I get with my 20" Bushy at the same ranges but I'm no great shakes with a rifle.  Some of the folks here are pretty good, though, and I'm sure you'll hear about it. [:)]

Remember, 7" @ 200 yds. is kill zone accuracy on the 'Biped Predator'.

CB
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome.
I think those are perfectly acceptable groups for the gun and conditions...short sight radius, no bench, average ammo...I'd be content with it, and I know a bit about it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most people can't even see a target at 200 yds. with open sights.
View Quote

Hey, I resemble that remark. [:)]

JRJ, when I said "that's about what I get" I was talking about your LAST group (7.41").  I can only get under 5" when I bolt the ol' Leupold on.

You MIGHT get better accuracy with heavier bullets (62g.-68g.).

CB
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
What twist is the barrell and why not sight in from a bench.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry about matching up to what people claim. I can claim that I can get .5" groups at 500 yards but that don't make it so. Your groups are just fine and is what can be expected from your rifle. With my factory-stock bushmaster plinker (shorty with ak brake) I can usually keep my groups under 4.5" at 200 yards from the prone position, but I have probably put over a couple hundred thousand .223 bullets downrange and had some very good teachers in the USMC. Now if I use my modified Colt that has a free-floated target grade barrel and 2 stage trigger and some match ammo I can shave a couple inches off that. You are doing fine.

I have a bozo at work that kept telling me about how he could take any crappy off-the-shelf AR-15 and mil surplus ammo and get less than MOA accuracy with it. Of course He would never come out to the range with me to prove it. One day I happened to show up at the range while he was there and I challenged him to a 100 yard shoot, he was with his buddies so he didn't back down. The challenge was the best 5 shot group and you get 3 tries. The best he could do was right under 3.5". I beat that with my bushie plinker not even trying, then broke out the colt and showed him what a sub-moa group looks like. This was from the prone position, I never use a bench. He won't even look me in the eye anymore.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
JRJ
Welcome to the forums. My advise is to seek out a good rifle club that has a group of service rifle shooters. Thats what I did, and I have learned a great deal from those guys.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hellraiser, don't you just LOVE doing that?!! [}:D]
View Quote

Oh yeah baby! I love how everyone is a expert marksman til you get them out to the range, then the excuses fly, "sun was in my eye", "damn bugs buzzing in my face", "I usually shoot much better than this!", "there's something wrong with this lot of ammo", etc... LOL

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome Mate! Those groups are not that bad, and besides, as long as they cover a 'chest' size tgt, thats all that matters. Enjoy the site, she's a bewt!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys.  I'm shooting a rifle with a 1 in 9 twist and I don't use a bench or rest because I don't have one and I was trying to see how good I shoot the rifle ( I already know it shoots better than me!).  I will try some heavier bullets, but the rifle club idea won't wring out in this area (there aren't any.)  A friend told me that the 16" barrel would hamper performance but if it is shooting acceptably then I feel good about my range session today.  Don't worry though I'm not contempt with it and plan on getting alot better!!  Thanks one and all for your responses. I appreciate them, and will be asking again as this is my one and only rifle, and I am fairly new at this.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top