Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 9:46:40 AM EDT
Are these any good? There is one for sale locally for $2500 and has 68k on it. Body is in fair shape, but it will need a new front bumper. The interior is in rougher shape, and most of the interior panels are cracked. I haven't started it yet, but it appears to be relatively clean under the hood. The ad on the window says that it has a new clutch and that the car is from Indiana. I'm driving a 2000 Focus w/141k miles right now and want something that looks better and drives better. This appears to be a good option and has a low price (if it runs and drives good). However I am wondering if parts are outrageously expensive for it, like a lot of imports are.

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Are these any good? There is one for sale locally for $2500 and has 68k on it.

the red highlights should be a tipoff

I'm driving a 2000 Focus w/141k miles right now and want something that looks better and drives better.

The you shouldn't look to a 30 yr old clapped out Porsche model that's generally coincided to be Porsche's Vega There's a good possibility that your Focus will be faster than the Porsche 944 a car that when new in N/A trim could only do a 16.5 in the 1320

However I am wondering if parts are outrageously expensive for it, like a lot of imports are.

Parts will not be more expensive like many imports at all, rather parts will be unquestionably outrageously expensive to the nth degree.

Do yourself a favor and buy an old Z car
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I drove a 1979 924 back in high school in the early 80s. It was a huge POS. The 944 uses a Porsche engine rather than the Audi of the 924.

Still, I don't think I would want even a new 944 if it was given to me. Had friends with 928s way back and they were even bigger POS. The water cooled Porsches just suck.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't give more than 1K for that car if it has damage to the front bumper. Parts are ridiculously expensive from what I have read, and I have also read that some of the service procedures are very labor intensive. I would not purchase this car thinking it would be either affordable to keep up, or a replacement for a daily driver.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
A twenty five year old sports car with only 68,000 miles on it.  2,700 miles a year.  

Probably a good reason it only drove that much.  Run, do not walk, away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I hard to tell with these.
It should cost a little more than $2500 if the 68K holds true.
#1 it could be BS and you would be buying a money pit.
#2 the seller has no idea what to do with it and wants it gone.

I've seen both,trouble is you don't really know until you get in to it.

If you don't know Porsches really well or know somebody who does I'd pass.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd pass....sure it may be a good deal...or you may be tripling what you're paying up front to get it reliable.

Save some money and do it the only way possible to experience the P Car and get an older 911....it still may be a lil slower but it's a design they've nearly refined to perfection.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Doctor friend of mine who owned a Porsche once said," The only thing more expensive than a new Porsche is  used Porsche".
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:02:57 AM EDT
[#8]
$2500 sounds right for running early 944. Dash cracks on all of them. Clutches are EXPENSIVE with the trans in the back. It won't have very impressive performance, 168hp 4 cylinder. Spend $100+ and have a tech check it out. Preferably a foreign or porsche shop. These cars can be robust, but most are neglected and need lots of expensive maintenance. Bodywork can also be expensive. Not a good candidate for a daily driver compared to your focus.

The owner will probably take a lot less.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a recovering vintage Porsche driver.

While mine was a 911, just be aware about the saying that every old Porsche is a $20,000 car.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are these any good? There is one for sale locally for $2500 and has 68k on it. Body is in fair shape, but it will need a new front bumper. The interior is in rougher shape, and most of the interior panels are cracked. I haven't started it yet, but it appears to be relatively clean under the hood. The ad on the window says that it has a new clutch and that the car is from Indiana. I'm driving a 2000 Focus w/141k miles right now and want something that looks better and drives better. This appears to be a good option and has a low price (if it runs and drives good). However I am wondering if parts are outrageously expensive for it, like a lot of imports are.

Thanks,

Mike

Unless it is pristine, it should probable go for less than that.  I have/ had a 944 turbo since 1999 and have put 94k miles on it.  I had to replace the head gasket once, which I did myself.  The engine died on Tuesday (at 222k miles), but they aren't nearly as maintenance intensive as a 911.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#11]
68k miles is highly suspect as everyone has mentioned. The fact the interior is shot supports that.

No to hijack but if he runs a Carfax what will it show to prove the mileage?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top