Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2003 11:22:24 PM EDT
I'm looking into getting one of these in 45APC pretty soon.

Is there anything I should know about them or look for?

Also did they ever make any Politically correct versions that were unable to accept high-capacity magazines? How can you distinguish one from the other?

Can you switch easily between drum-mags and stick mags, or do you need some type of adapter?

Any reliability/durability issues?

Wheres a good place to order some online?

Any other type of info would be greatly appreciated as well.  thank you
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok here goes
There is no PC Thompson gun, since the only evil features are a pistol grip and detachable mag.
If you buy a 1927-A1 you can use stick or drum mags. If you buy the M1 Thompson you can`t use the drum mags, because originally the M1 Thompson was never supposed to.
As far as reliablity goes make sure that you only run 230grain Ball FACTORY ammo, anything else won`t work. I stress factory because I`ve tried some reloads and the gun didn`t cycle that well.
For durablity  don`t get the lightweight models, I`ve heard that the receivers wear out prematurely. Stick to the heavier Thompsons. Your only problems should be little things mine were loctiting the rear site on my M1, and a new firing pin retaining pin on my 1927A1.
CDNN has 30rd mags for $14.99.
A word on stick mags, the original hole is round for the FA Thompsons, where as the SA Thompsons you have to enlarge that hole into an oval. I really don`t know why they did this.
Try autoordnance.com
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Almost forgot. Since you are getting a SA Thompson (I`m assuming the 1927A1) I have to say a few things about the drums.
IMHO if you are getting a SA Thompson then I really wouldn`t get a drum for it. Reason is that the drums are really getting up there in price, shooting with the drum gets really heavy assuming you aren`t zippin` thru it, and they are not as reliable as the stick mags. There is a 10rd drum if you really had to have one.
That being said I do have a 50rd drum but I rarly use it for those reasons. But I know the feeling that a Thompson ins`t a Thompson without the drum.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok here goes
There is no PC Thompson gun, since the only evil features are a pistol grip and detachable mag.
If you buy a 1927-A1 you can use stick or drum mags. If you buy the M1 Thompson you can`t use the drum mags, because originally the M1 Thompson was never supposed to.
As far as reliablity goes make sure that you only run 230grain Ball FACTORY ammo, anything else won`t work. I stress factory because I`ve tried some reloads and the gun didn`t cycle that well.
[red]For durablity  don`t get the lightweight models,[/red] I`ve heard that the receivers wear out prematurely. Stick to the heavier Thompsons. Your only problems should be little things mine were loctiting the rear site on my M1, and a new firing pin retaining pin on my 1927A1.
CDNN has 30rd mags for $14.99.
A word on stick mags, the original hole is round for the FA Thompsons, where as the SA Thompsons you have to enlarge that hole into an oval. I really don`t know why they did this.
Try autoordnance.com
View Quote
yep
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out this site:
    [url]http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/[/url]

Lots of good info, but they consider the  1927A1 a 'stepchild'

The forums have lots info on the 1927, but the 'old forum' was closed in August, I believe.  It's still accessable.

HTH
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#5]
AWESOME! Thank you so much 223spree and everyone else!

I missed out on a great deal on one of these a while ago and i've been kicking myself since (gun w/2 10rnd drums)

Thanks again
-Lockedon
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/index.php?s=8d800450e11ecc6d75cfd2eb72583873&act=SF&f=3[/url]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I fired one of these same guns about a year ago. Very heavy, so almost no recoil, and it balances well. I got to fire off several stick mags- lotsa fun- I envy you that new toy- but not the ammo bills! [:)]

We were shooting milsurp .45, IIRC- I helped load some mags (least I could do...).

The owner told me the Cutts compensator helps against muzzle climb, but I didn't notice any climb at all.

When you shoot it, w/headphones on, all you can hear is BRRRRING! BRRRRRIIING! as the bolt cycles and the brass ejects. Woo-hoo! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can find an older gun before Kahr took over the production it will be a better made gun. If you want a 50rnd gun expect to pay as much for the drum as you do the gun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I want an aluminum recievered Thompson in 10mm :)
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you can find an older gun before Kahr took over the production it will be a better made gun. If you want a 50rnd gun expect to pay as much for the drum as you do the gun.
View Quote

I could be wrong, but isn't Lockedon referring to buying a full-auto, original Thompson? That's the impression I got. I've picked up and held the Kahr semi-auto 1927s- they feel different- not as heavy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Look here: [url] http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/ [/url]

Also, Kahr stinks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I could be wrong, but isn't Lockedon referring to buying a full-auto, original Thompson? That's the impression I got. I've picked up and held the Kahr semi-auto 1927s- they feel different- not as heavy.
View Quote

No, I wish I had the money for a real full-auto short barreled Thompson. But things being as they are, a semi-auto is what I'm in the market for. Hence I'm looking into 10rnd drums, and some 30rnd sticks. A 1927 looks much better with a drum mag IMHO

So, whats the story on Kahr?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I found an unfired West Hurley (mid '70s manufactured) Auto-Ordnance 1927A-1 a few months ago.  It was spotless, and looked so pretty that I had to take it out and dirty it up.  After about 40 rounds, the entire rear sight assembly flew off!  I posted about this on another board, and another guy posted that the same thing happened to his.  I am not impressed.

As for the mags, follow the advice above.  Buy them from CDNN, and spend 30-60 seconds opening up the hole with a Dremel.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#15]
The rear site on most of those guns comes loose, put together with shitty rivets. Easy fix is to tap the rivet holes in the receiver and use decorative cap allen head screws. Fix is done.

Auto_Ordnance was for sale KAHR arms bought them and they have shipped out some real crap. Maybe they are getting better, After the first three guns I ordered from them would not work and I sent them in for repair and 1 of those did now work when I got it back I stopped dealing with them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top