Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 10:21:49 PM EDT
I will be driving from Tahoe to La and was wondering if carrying my G19 loaded with 10 rounds (in a 15 rounder) would be legal in CA? Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The ban is for capacity, not how many rounds in the magazine.  Just mere possession of the mag isn't kosher.  I would stick with a 10rd mag.  If none available, stick with the 15rd.  Who is going to know right?  If you had to use the Glock, it would be a situation where you'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 I'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
So it would be perfectly legal for me, NV resident, to carry my glock in the car in CA if i had a 10 round mag?  Wish i could go to vegas, instead of LA, could take my 33 rounders
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So it would be perfectly legal for me, NV resident, to carry my glock in the car in CA if i had a 10 round mag?  Wish i could go to vegas, instead of LA, could take my 33 rounders

Check here

I assumed CA would honor a carry permit from NV.  Guess I was wrong.

ETA:  I was thinking about the Federal carry bill that allows law enforcement to carry in all 50 states.

ETA2:  Check here too
            Looks like you can have your Glock, but it has to be locked up and the ammo separate.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
This is from the state DOJ website. As long as you aren't bringing your 15 round mags into the state to sell them, they won't be an issue. There are millions of "hi cap" mags in this state.

Traveling with Firearms in California

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not within any of the classes excepted from firearm possession and who resides or is temporarily in California from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person if the firearm is unloaded and in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is considered an assault weapon in California must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS

California Penal Code section 12285(c)(7) requires that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and in a locked container when transported.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top