Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 12:55:23 PM EDT
I am truly in awe.

The 11th grade biology class of the small high school I attended in rural Alabama will clone genes this Friday.
(This isn't even an 'honors' class just the regular biology class.)

The experiment (at least as much as I can understand) will be to take a bacteria not antibiotic resistant and clone it into one that will resist a particular antibiotic.

I didn't realize this science had been pushed-down this far but I'm very proud of my old (and still poor) school.  Even today the county where this school is located has a population of only about 18,000 people.

(On to Europa, Mars and the stars !)

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I knew I should have made this topic controversial instead of boring !
------------------------------------------------

How about "11Th Grade class prepares to clone "Eric The Hun" on Friday !"
[X]

(That ought to do it.)

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Another small lie but so what.

I'm proud of my little school.

Besides this experiment is being supervised by my relative "10subslr10."
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Reads were 39 at the time of my last lie.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a feeling that the students at the little high school in Alabama that you attended have been cloning a whole lotta genes.

Not just this next Friday!

Eric The(Suspicious)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I find it disturbing that you have been carrying on a conversation with yourself for the last hour. [%|]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I find it disturbing that you have been carrying on a conversation with yourself for the last hour. [%|]
View Quote

Worse, it was dull and uninformative.

However, as I plan to a reporter when I grow-up I did get some practice with totally untrue and unrelated but catchy headlines !

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright, 5subslr5, you got my attention, just to discover what the acronyms were.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to be a dickhead....that isn't really cloning (because if you're trying to induce antibiotic resistance into a successive generation, you're not creating an exact genetic copy of the original organism), but even selecting for/inducing antibiotic resistance is pretty high-speed stuff for a HS biology class. :)

As a side note, where in AL are you from?

(Rocket City native here)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top