Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Remakes and reboots are as old as Hollywood.  I don't know why anyone is still surprised or upset about it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remakes and reboots are as old as Hollywood.  I don't know why anyone is still surprised or upset about it.
View Quote

It's just so obvious now. Movies that never needed to be remade. If you want to watch a movie like Ghostbusters, just go watch Ghostbusters. John Carpenter's The Thing was a remake, but it was way better than the original.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Big Trouble in Little China??!!...................NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's just so obvious now. Movies that never needed to be remade. If you want to watch a movie like Ghostbusters, just go watch Ghostbusters. John Carpenter's The Thing was a remake, but it was way better than the original.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too-much money has ruined it, just like pro sports and a lot of product design.

Nobody will take any sort of risk anymore, because there's too much money at stake, and so much money involved that even passable performance keeps everyone rich.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It's like nobody can come up with any fresh ideas anymore.

It appears that all the Hollyweird crowd can do is plagiarize their predecessor's works.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Remakes are fact of life, but "Blue Thunder" as a drone? That's just wrong.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's just so obvious now. Movies that never needed to be remade.
View Quote
Movies have to be remade with references to twitter and snapchat so they can relate to today's youths.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
That website has AIDS. I had to click a link to open the OP's page, then clicked another link which opened another website to actually read the article. Fuck this thread.

Also, aside from The Batman they should just stop. I enjoy the new Batman movies and didn't think Affleck did a bad job despite hating him so I'm interested in seeing the new one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Creators have moved on to the small screen where the stakes aren't as high and they have a better chance of getting their stuff seen.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, this is nothing new.  How many different versions of Tarzan and Superman and Charlie Chan and Sherlock Holmes and Dracula did we get ever since the advent of filmmaking?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and actually, John Carpenter's The Thing wasn't a remake of the original movie, it was another adaptation of the short story Who Goes There? and a much more faithful one too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]

So much fail in that list.......

Just a few that stood out

Death Wish remake?   I guess " Death Sentence" and "The Brave One" were not enough

Crow? Please leave that one alone

Cube? original was good leave alone

Naked Gun remake with Ed Helms?  Fuck that

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Hollywood does rely on a lot of remakes and reboots nowadays but at least 50% of that list will never see the light of day. Some of those have been in talks for over a decade and have gained no traction.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Bruce Willis in Death Wish has my interest. Nobody beats Bronson but could be decent.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#16]
It's all about money.  You have to prove that the movie will be profitable before you can get money from the studios.  It's a safe bet to do a remake or sequel.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Creators have moved on to the small screen where the stakes aren't as high and they have a better chance of getting their stuff seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Series on HBO and on Showtime (and even NetFlix series) are miles better than anything coming out of Hollywood.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]

I'd see a re-boot of The Black Hole. Make it a little less sleepy and more like the book.

Re-boot Das Boot?!?  good lord. The movie (the 5 1/5 hour version) is a perfect rendition of the book. The actors fit their characters perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#19]
we know it's nothing new, but it's pretty much all they do these days.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bruce Willis in Death Wish has my interest. Nobody beats Bronson but could be decent.
View Quote

They were filming that here a few weeks ago. I was asked to work but I was already on other stuff
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's all about money.  You have to prove that the movie will be profitable before you can get money from the studios.  It's a safe bet to do a remake or sequel.
View Quote

This is usually the case.

A remake means the studio already owns the rights to the property (so no extra money paid to creative people for a new IP), the script treatment usually writes itself (so again no extra money outlaid to writers), there is usually a good level of brand awareness already existing (so built in marketing) and finally you can sometimes draw name talent to a remake as they want to "do their take on it".

Remakes are safe gambles... and when you have built an industry that needs billions of dollars in income just to continue to exist, you need as many seat filler safe gambles as you can get.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#23]
The black hole and Flash Gordon could be ok.  Won't even bother with the other 109 movies.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They were filming that here a few weeks ago. I was asked to work but I was already on other stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol death wish really?

the whole 70's super crime never panned out.

take that out and its just another revenge story.

also i haven't given Hollywood any money in at least 5 years.

which ironically enough was the lone ranger(went to see it for my old mans birthday lol turrible present for dad) before that i guess it was the first hobbit movie.

i almost went to starwars but the fandom kept me away which worked out for the best as it was also terrible.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol death wish really?

which ironically enough was the lone ranger(went to see it for my old mans birthday lol turrible present for dad) before that i guess it was the first hobbit movie.

i almost went to starwars but the fandom kept me away which worked out for the best as it was also terrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol death wish really?

I hardly ever go to the movies. Last movie for me was star wars, no idea what I saw before that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]
0% chance that I will pay to see any of those 111 remakes.

If others would show the power of the purse and refuse to see yet another remake, hollyweird would eventually get the hint and stop remaking this tired crap.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Too much click bait in there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd see a re-boot of The Black Hole. Make it a little less sleepy and more like the book.

Re-boot Das Boot?!?  good lord. The movie (the 5 1/5 hour version) is a perfect rendition of the book. The actors fit their characters perfectly.
View Quote

If Das Boot gets remade, I'm done.  Fucking done!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#29]
If they do an UN-PC version of Death Wish I may go see it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

The already did, it was the first one... and the second one... and most of the third one...
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Remakes are fact of life, but "Blue Thunder" as a drone? That's just wrong.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I finally saw the new "Magnificent 7" last weekend. It actually wasn't bad. I was trying to match up the new characters with the old ones. They didn't track them exactly.

It was more another in the line of sequels than a remake. ("The Dirty Dozen" is pretty much the same story as well.)

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Its not that I mind the idea of reboots and remakes,it just that they always fuck it up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It appears that all the Hollyweird crowd can do is plagiarize their predecessor's works.  

View Quote

Tons of good epic books that could be made.  LOTR's proved this can work if done right.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#35]
They better not remake my  DIE HARD
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will Jeff Goldblum reprise his role as Thug Number 2?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Its not that I mind the idea of reboots and remakes,it just that they always fuck it up.
View Quote

They do, usually.  But it doesn't cost me money or time since I usually don't watch them, and doesn't affect my enjoyment of the original, so it doesn't really bother me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Instead of remakes, and reboots, why not just come up with a sequel/not sequel set in the 'same universe', so to speak?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Naked Gun remake with Ed Helms?  Fuck that

View Quote

I will fuck whomever does that to death.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What about Denzel Washington as a thug as well?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I would like to see a remake of Stephen King's "Fire Starter" with updated SFX.

That is about the only movie I want to see redone.

Get out of here, you bastard! I'll burn you up! I'll fry you!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a feeling that most of these re-makes won't be worth a damn.  Just like Ghostbusters.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#43]
'Death Wish' could be really good.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Ya know,about that Ghostbusters reboot.
I didnt hate it, I didnt hate it at all!

A friend bought it and offered to let us borrow it so I figured for free lets see how terrible it is.
After watching it I totally would have felt I got my moneys worth if I had redboxed it or something.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Some I'm okay with them remaking, but most of them seem like really bad ideas.

If the movie was a classic or a cult classic, then its going to be really hard to recreate it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No the people sending +$38 Billion dollars a year to that city are the retarded ones. They're only producing what people will consume. Stop consuming and they'll get starved and stop producing. Capitalism is simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No the people sending +$38 Billion dollars a year to that city are the retarded ones. They're only producing what people will consume. Stop consuming and they'll get starved and stop producing. Capitalism is simple.

You're wasting your message here.  You should be typing it in Chinese.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

5.5 hour version? Damn is it still for sale? I thought i had the extended version at 3.5 hours.  Another two hours?!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#49]
FPNI.....plus the money backers only want a sure/known thing to remake for China.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#50]
they have no new ideas

it gets old

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top