Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/24/2015 7:37:43 AM EDT
I grew up in #9.

I don't remember it being a shithole in the 80's and 90's. Either it was and I never really noticed, or it got A LOT worse in the past 15 years or so. I also grew up in the north central side of town, which was (at the time anyway) one of the nicer areas.

http://www.movoto.com/ca/most-dangerous-places-in-california/

Stockton (#3) and Merced (#7) were hell holes then, and I see the situation hasn't improved.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in el sobrante (neighbor to san pablo). I was surprised to see Emeryville on the list at #1. Im willing to bet its caused by rif raf from west oakland and south Berkeley. Stay classy(and strapped) bay area

I thought Vallejo would've made the list
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Mrs Walther22lr grew up in number 2, Oakland.
I was raised just north, in Berkeley and just south, in San Leandro.

Quite happy where I'm at now!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Do they have a demographic breakdown of those cities?

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Clearlake at #10 is a bit of a surprise to me. However, my BIL was an assistant manager at the Wal-Mart there for years and had some pretty interesting stories.

I grew up in #29 ( and live near #39, now) and I feel the same way as you, Sub, I don't remember it being as bad as it is now. I guess you just don't notice those types of things when you are a kid.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clearlake at #10 is a bit of a surprise to me. However, my BIL was an assistant manager at the Wal-Mart there for years and had some pretty interesting stories.

I grew up in #29 ( and live near #39, now) and I feel the same way as you, Sub, I don't remember it being as bad as it is now. I guess you just don't notice those types of things when you are a kid.
View Quote

There are places I used to go as a kid that I will not go to as an adult without some firepower. Things have and are changing, and it isn't for the best.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Straight outta Emeryville, yo.
View Quote

A suburb of Oakland.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Santa Carla is the murder capitol of the US.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]
So basically the burbs of San Fran are complete crap?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The desert holds many secrets
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Richmond is 3rd world.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm wonder what the common denominator is, all across the country for that matter
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#14]
My city isn't even on the top 50 and I never felt unsafe in San Bernardino, but I guess I was in the good parts (like near the community hospital.)
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#15]
no love for the 187?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My city isn't even on the top 50 and I never felt unsafe in San Bernardino, but I guess I was in the good parts (like near the community hospital.)
View Quote

I'm still surprised how large San Bernardino county is when drivi g through. You could do nuclear testing in sone of the Eastern parts and not effect anyone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Article is racist.  It only names areas with large African American communities.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Article is racist.  It only names areas with large African American communities.
View Quote

Modesto (where I grew up) is only 4% black...
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Out of all the states in this country no place is as fucked up as California.  It cant fall in the ocean or burn up fast enough for me.
During my 21 years of .mil service the worst time was the 4.5 years I was stationed in California.  I drank myself into a coma every night, was a road rager during my commute every day and it was the only place I have ever experienced racism first hand.
I had been all over the globe and traveled most states, even lived in NY but when I moved to the Bay area and started riding BART, I learned black people didn't like whites.  Cant begin to tell you how many times I would sit down and have a black man or woman, young and old say things to me, call me names and move cause they didn't want to sit next to a "honkey" or "cracker".
This was in the early 90's.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was stationed at Alameda (home of the Myth Busters) in the Bay Area and Oakland was a major shit hole.

I now live about 15 miles from San Bernardino and it's the shits too ... mostly immigrate street gangs doing battle against the local gangs.

Looking down the list I see Compton, Nasty City, and Victimville all cities I expected to rank higher.
View Quote

The military history of Alameda and the Bay Area is pretty neat but it seems to have been swallowed up and forgotten by most.  
In my office when I worked on Coast Guard Island in Alameda we had an old file cabinet full of black and white photos from WWII.
I used to love digging thru that cabinet looking at what the place used to look like.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn. If Fresno doesn't make the list, you know the others are bad.  I lived in the Bay Area for 15 years, and in that time Fresno and Stockton and most of the 99 corridor went from peaceful farm communities straight to drug induced gang ridden shit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#24]
No Compton?  I heard it was bad there
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

it is kind of fucked up isn't it

the places where minorities are the majority the white man commits all his crimes to make them look bad.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn. If Fresno doesn't make the list, you know the others are bad.  I lived in the Bay Area for 15 years, and in that time Fresno and Stockton and most of the 99 corridor went from peaceful farm communities straight to drug induced gang ridden shit.
View Quote

Fresno is my least favorite city in California. Bakersfield is a pretty close second.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In California?

#1 Emeryville is 16% black and 42% white
#2 Oakland ... without even looking this is going to be the highest percentage of blacks... 25% black, 26% Hispanic, 26% white, 16% Asian
#3 Stockton is 10% black and 43% Hispanic
#4 San Berdo is 13% black and 63% Hispanic
#5 San Pablo is only 16% black but 54% Hispanic

Looking at the nation's most dangerous cities is a different matter ...

#1 Washington DC - 48% black
#2 Camden NJ - 44% black
#3 Chester PA - 76% black
#4 Detroit MI - 80% black
#5 Saginaw MI - 45% black
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In California?

#1 Emeryville is 16% black and 42% white
#2 Oakland ... without even looking this is going to be the highest percentage of blacks... 25% black, 26% Hispanic, 26% white, 16% Asian
#3 Stockton is 10% black and 43% Hispanic
#4 San Berdo is 13% black and 63% Hispanic
#5 San Pablo is only 16% black but 54% Hispanic

Looking at the nation's most dangerous cities is a different matter ...

#1 Washington DC - 48% black
#2 Camden NJ - 44% black
#3 Chester PA - 76% black
#4 Detroit MI - 80% black
#5 Saginaw MI - 45% black

I didn't say majority.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The military history of Alameda and the Bay Area is pretty neat but it seems to have been swallowed up and forgotten by most.  
In my office when I worked on Coast Guard Island in Alameda we had an old file cabinet full of black and white photos from WWII.
I used to love digging thru that cabinet looking at what the place used to look like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was stationed at Alameda (home of the Myth Busters) in the Bay Area and Oakland was a major shit hole.

I now live about 15 miles from San Bernardino and it's the shits too ... mostly immigrate street gangs doing battle against the local gangs.

Looking down the list I see Compton, Nasty City, and Victimville all cities I expected to rank higher.

In fact the local governments shat upon the Navy, they could have a very large and profitable Navy presence but they choose not to. I'm not even sure if they have a fleet week anymore. All the locals bitched about the Blue Angels and the display of "evil war machines".

Also shipping, the port of Oakland has been choked out of business by onerous requirements related to dredging and dredge spoil disposal. They can dredge all they want, but they are not allowed to put the spoil anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fresno is my least favorite city in California. Bakersfield is a pretty close second.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My EMT internship was in the ER in Fresno. 8 hours in that ER was a life changing experience. We saw everything from a nosebleed, to a knife fight loser, to multiple gunshots DOA. Gunshot pt. was a gang banger and it played out as a suicide by cop.

Oh yeah, also "Santa Claus", tweaker decided to break into a residence by climbing down the chimney. Stuck 8 hours. Fire cut him out. He spent my entire shift handcuffed to a gurney. That little fucker woulda murdered everyone in the room if he had the chance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In fact the local governments shat upon the Navy, they could have a very large and profitable Navy presence but they choose not to. I'm not even sure if they have a fleet week anymore. All the locals bitched about the Blue Angels and the display of "evil war machines".

Also shipping, the port of Oakland has been choked out of business by onerous requirements related to dredging and dredge spoil disposal. They can dredge all they want, but they are not allowed to put the spoil anywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to go to Fleet Week in SF every year as a kid in the 80's. It was awesome.

It would be pretty depressing if the locals killed it. I hope that's not true.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#33]
10 most dangerous cities in Ohio.

My childhood was spent in number 5. Seemed like a nice place to me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#34]
No Riverside? That San Bernardino would make the list but not Riverside is surprising
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You said large. We're arguing about the definition of large in a nation where the average black population is 13.2%.

To me large would be something above average at least like 25% or so works for me.

Isn't there a prison in Emeryville?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I didn't say majority.

You said large. We're arguing about the definition of large in a nation where the average black population is 13.2%.

To me large would be something above average at least like 25% or so works for me.

Isn't there a prison in Emeryville?

So you agree, the article is racist.  It also targets Hispanics.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#36]
'Riding through this world....'
'All alone....'

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Surprised Youngstown was only #13.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Palm Springs is more dangerous than Compton??  

Dat's racist....
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
So was mine!

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So was mine!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So was mine!

No wonder you guys moved out of state.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Coming from the SF Bay Area, I concur that Oakland, Richmond, Stockton, Emeryville making the list.

Emeryville can be safe, if you stay where the swamp people live (my name for them).  It's the landfill with the high rise condos/apts.  The area across the highway (I-80) is terra firma and that's where the homies be and with them, the high crime rate.  Stay on the West Side and you're safe.  Oh, there's virtually nothing in the way of shopping there. There were two gas stations when I was in the area.  BTW, my niece had her luggage stolen in Emeryville.  They got her dirty laundry - d*mn perverts.

Oakland is bad as we know it.  Lake Merritt was safe and a source of civic pride back in the '60s.  My uncle used to live there and got burglarized. He kept moving south and got burglarized again.  Finally, he upped and moved to Castro Valley.  Oakland is horrible but if you got to the Oakland hills, very nice homes or the Rockridge part of Oakland you'd think you were in normal America.

Richmond.  Stay away.  The city pays naughty people to be good.  

Stockton went to sh*t when years ago.  It got worse after the housing bubble went pop in 2007.  It hasn't recovered.

Vallejo didn't make the list and that's probably because there's enough normal people of all colors and sexual orientation there. I'll take a normal black family or ghey neighbor over a gang banger of any color anyday.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our house was the last on the street, the local fire department had a field midway down the street where they'd have a little fair every year for fundraising.

Even when I was 6 and 7 (mid 1980s) I would just roam around until the fair shut down and then walk home by myself. I'm sure parents would be arrested for allowing that to happen now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So was mine!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So was mine!

What!

I lived on 45th Street in North Industry. So not Canton proper.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hmmm wonder what the common denominator is, all across the country for that matter
View Quote

Modesto(methdesto) and Clearlake arent "black cities" if thats what youre getting at. ...unless you had another common denominator in mind

Lol
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Our house was the last on the street, the local fire department had a field midway down the street where they'd have a little fair every year for fundraising.

Even when I was 6 and 7 (mid 1980s) I would just roam around until the fair shut down and then walk home by myself. I'm sure parents would be arrested for allowing that to happen now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wondered how close we ever came to crossing paths but you are quite a bit younger than I am; I was pretty well out of the State by the time you were born.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

If it's not blacks,it's Hispanics.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Modesto(methdesto) and Clearlake arent "black cities" if thats what youre getting at. ...unless you had another common denominator in mind

Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol

Modesto is Hispanic and Clearlake is white trash Meth heads.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Keep in mind a lot of the time police stats don't tell the whole story. A lot of the high crime areas around where I live are from folks from adjacent areas committing those crimes. You see, a lot of areas run out of shit to steal so they got to get their drug money somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm 200 miles from the top ten, and 50 miles from any other in the top 50. I guess Oroville and Redding are the closest to me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top