Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 11:18:10 AM EDT
LA lawmaker just said this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#1]
How does he know??
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#2]
He also said it was a wild guess he was making. Quit fear-mongering.

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050902/pl_afp/usweatherdeaths

BATON ROUGE, United States (AFP) - US Senator David Vitter said that the death toll from Hurricane Katrina could top 10,000 in Louisiana alone.
ADVERTISEMENT
Adblock

"My guess is that it will start at 10,000, but that is only a guess," Vitter said, adding that he was not basing his remarks on any official death toll or body count.

Vitter, a Louisiana Republican, also called for the immediate deployment of regular US combat troops in New Orleans, saying the build-up of National Guard troops was too slow to quickly restore order.

Such a step would require Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco to formally request the dispatch of federal army soldiers, a highly unusual step.

Blanco said on Thursday that she had asked for 40,000 troops, the majority of which are National Guard units from Louisiana and elsewhere.

Five-thousand National Guard troops are expected to be on the ground in violence-wracked New Orleans by late Friday, military leaders said.

But Vitter said that timeline could be too slow, amid reports that bands of armed men are roaming the streets in the city, which is 80 percent submerged in floods brought in by a storm tide after the hurricane hit on Monday.

Vitter, speaking to reporters at the emergency response center in Baton Rouge, also said he gave the federal government a grade 'F' for its response to the disaster so far.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds pretty high...  Although at this point who knows?

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How does he know??

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He also said it was a wild guess he was making. Quit fear-mongering.

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050902/pl_afp/usweatherdeaths

BATON ROUGE, United States (AFP) - US Senator David Vitter said that the death toll from Hurricane Katrina could top 10,000 in Louisiana alone.
ADVERTISEMENT
Adblock

"My guess is that it will start at 10,000, but that is only a guess," Vitter said, adding that he was not basing his remarks on any official death toll or body count.

Vitter, a Louisiana Republican, also called for the immediate deployment of regular US combat troops in New Orleans, saying the build-up of National Guard troops was too slow to quickly restore order.

Such a step would require Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco to formally request the dispatch of federal army soldiers, a highly unusual step.

Blanco said on Thursday that she had asked for 40,000 troops, the majority of which are National Guard units from Louisiana and elsewhere.

Five-thousand National Guard troops are expected to be on the ground in violence-wracked New Orleans by late Friday, military leaders said.

But Vitter said that timeline could be too slow, amid reports that bands of armed men are roaming the streets in the city, which is 80 percent submerged in floods brought in by a storm tide after the hurricane hit on Monday.

Vitter, speaking to reporters at the emergency response center in Baton Rouge, also said he gave the federal government a grade 'F' for its response to the disaster so far.

He said he was guessing at the bottom number.  

You have to know that there will probably be that many dead.

Fear-mongering, what a weird accusation.  Why would a 10K death toll cause fear?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd say it's a conservative estimate based on the number of people affected, the area affected & the magnitude of the disaster. I think the total dead will be much greater. They are still in life saving mode, the grim work of recovering the dead is still at hand. I hope they have plans for that ready to go, refrigerated trucks, box cars etc. Can't imagine how they will deal with the massive loss of life in the coming weeks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I read the same thing in the Koran.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Computer models are projecting that 20% of the population of NO stayed. That is 300,000 people. Estimates are 1/3 of them likely got killed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#9]
No telling how many people got washed out to sea that will never be counted.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No telling how many people got washed out to sea that will never be counted.  

or gator bait. i heard some where that when they finnaly drain new orleans they will find some very fat gators.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#11]
10,000 dead in Los Angeles?!?

WOOT!

Well its a step in the right direction....

ETA The other LA
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#12]
That senator is a jackass. He was speaking out of his ass with no knowledge of any casualty figures from anywhere. Fuckface was looking to create drama and score points.

Hopefully W gave him a call and told him to STFU and let the professionals do their work.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#13]
10,000 dead is a possibility, but only time will tell. I'm not particularly concerned with that number.

What gets ME shaking in my boot is the possibility of 10,000 UNdead walking the streets! I hates me some Zombies, man!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Estimates are 1/3 of them likely got killed.

That's just way to high. If it was that high even the looters/ rabble/ thugs would be trying to get out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
10,000 dead in Los Angeles?!?

WOOT!

Well its a step in the right direction....

ETA The other LA

hell, i thought the same thing - NOW what has happend!!!!?

okay.  on topic now..........
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#17]
He's probably a stinkin' ambulance chaser lawyer on the side (ala John Edwards)looking for a lawsuit.  Of course it's 10,000 dead, if you count the aleady dead people in the cemetaries.  They're all full of shit.  The just want their names quoted as some juncture.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Speculation, might as well wait for an official count
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That senator is a jackass. He was speaking out of his ass with no knowledge of any casualty figures from anywhere. Fuckface was looking to create drama and score points.

Hopefully W gave him a call and told him to STFU and let the professionals do their work.

Cut him some slack-he's a Louisiana politician. He's used to counting votes like that: "With two hours until the polls close, we're ahead by a few hundred or so votes...or maybe it's one or two thousand, something like that." Translation: my guys are still getting names off of gravestones in the local cemeteries, so they can add them to the voter rolls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top