Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 10:27:49 PM EDT
So I've made up my mind to get a landcruiser.  Lots of choices in the 100 series, a few 200 series I can afford.  Other than the bigger motor, what's the difference?  This will be something we drive 15k a year or less.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can afford the 200 series get it, this is coming from a 100 series owner. The 200 series has a more powerful motor, and is more luxurious. The 100 series is a great vehicle, but has become more popular and is driving the prices up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:19:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the 200.  If you want to build up a monster off road rig then you want the 80 series or older.  If it's newer than that then buy the newest one you can afford.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had a 100 series for a long time and like it.  I only tow with it and use it for light off roading, but it's comfortable and reliable.

The big disadvantage of the 100 is that the 4.7 engine has a timing belt, where the 5.7 in the 200 has a chain. I hate timing belts, especially since mine is due. I would buy a 200 for that reason alone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I drove a 100 series yesterday, I will drive a 2009 200 on Thursday.  It's got 144k miles on it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a 200 for daily driving after having an FJ Cruiser for 4 years. Also own a 65 FJ40 and a 1996 80 series.

There is nothing wrong with the 100. The 4.7 is a great engine and off-road gear is more readily available for those years than for the 200 currently. Biggest difference is torsion bar front suspension on the 100 vs. struts on the 200. I love the power of the 5.7 and it seems to get the same/better MPG as the 100s my friends have.

Only true downside to the 200 is size. It's an inch or two wider and longer, if you'll even notice that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I've made up my mind to get a landcruiser.  Lots of choices in the 100 series, a few 200 series I can afford.  Other than the bigger motor, what's the difference?  This will be something we drive 15k a year or less.
View Quote

Check out ih8mud.com if you haven't yet.  It's definitely the arf of Land Cruisers and LXs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can afford the 200 series get it, this is coming from a 100 series owner. The 200 series has a more powerful motor, and is more luxurious. The 100 series is a great vehicle, but has become more popular and is driving the prices up.
View Quote
The 100s are getting long in the tooth. My abs system is on borrowed time at 245k miles. If I were to preemptively replace the abs, alternator, and power steering, along with the steering rack and all of the front suspension/steering bushings, I'd be close to covering the difference in price of a 200.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My abs system is on borrowed time at 245k miles.  
View Quote
Only a Land Cruiser owner would bitch about getting 245k miles on their master cylinder. If you look on Ih8mud, there are companies rebuilding these for a fraction of the price of getting one through Toyota.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Only a Land Cruiser owner would bitch about getting 245k miles on their master cylinder. If you look on Ih8mud, there are companies rebuilding these for a fraction of the price of getting one through Toyota.  
View Quote
Haha, I know. I just hate to fix something that isn't broke, but I also hate to trust it in BFE. It was working hard at Sequoia Nat'l Park, I was a little nervous about the thought of having to get it replaced at the nearest Toyota dealership. Towing it to Georg's shop in Oakland wasn't really desirable either. It made it home without drama though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I drove the 200, ridiculously nice and lots of power.  Sent it to my mechanic for a pre buy inspection.  Well, truck was from the northeast and they tell me don't touch it, too much rust and corrosion.  

Drove a 2005 lx470, low miles and 43 pages of service history.  Sending it to the mechanic tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't driven a 200 yet. How did it compare to the 100?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I drove the 200, ridiculously nice and lots of power.  Sent it to my mechanic for a pre buy inspection.  Well, truck was from the northeast and they tell me don't touch it, too much rust and corrosion.  

Drove a 2005 lx470, low miles and 43 pages of service history.  Sending it to the mechanic tomorrow.
View Quote
So? Did it pass muster?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
The lx checked out, bought it yesterday.  Getting some tundra wheels today for it.  Now I need to sell my supercharged 4runner so I can buy bumpers and whatnot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The lx checked out, bought it yesterday.  Getting some tundra wheels today for it.  Now I need to sell my supercharged 4runner so I can buy bumpers and whatnot.
View Quote
Pictures? Go vist Sleep Off-road.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll try and get some up next week, heading out of town for a match.  It looks pretty pedestrian for now.  Wheels and tires will go on Monday
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Dissent off road has a pretty loyal following on 'mud. His bumpers and roof racks look good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
So now that Photobucket doesn't work, how do I post pictures?   Send them to someone?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So now that Photobucket doesn't work, how do I post pictures?   Send them to someone?
View Quote
Imagur or Flickr or be a team member and upload them to arf
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dissent off road has a pretty loyal following on 'mud. His bumpers and roof racks look good.
View Quote
No instant gratification if you buy from him though, with those pesky 8-12 week lead times.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No instant gratification if you buy from him though, with those pesky 8-12 week lead times.
View Quote
Good point. The TJM stuff looks similar to the ARB and is a little cheaper. I think that Trail Tailor stuff is overpriced, but the owner is a good dude. Seems to be a really common thing on 'mud. Well-liked member selling really expensive parts, lol. I get better prices on Toyota parts from an arfcommer, than I do from Onur.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good point. The TJM stuff looks similar to the ARB and is a little cheaper. I think that Trail Tailor stuff is overpriced, but the owner is a good dude. Seems to be a really common thing on 'mud. Well-liked member selling really expensive parts, lol. I get better prices on Toyota parts from an arfcommer, than I do from Onur.
View Quote
I bought one of Trail Tailors first 100 series roof racks. It's pretty damn nice. You can be hurting for money and enjoy owning a Land Cruiser, that's for sure. Please PM who you are buying factory Toyota parts from, I need some new CV joints 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought one of Trail Tailors first 100 series roof racks. It's pretty damn nice. You can be hurting for money and enjoy owning a Land Cruiser, that's for sure. Please PM who you are buying factory Toyota parts from, I need some new CV joints 
View Quote
PM sent. Trail Tailor equipment is nice, but it is expensive, even compared to Slee stuff. I'm interested in those suspension kits he's stocking though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Congrats! Get ready to spend some money, lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top