Posted: 1/20/2002 3:22:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Happy birthday, dude....
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Big day

1903 -

In the 16th century there was a game very simular to baseball called rounders.  Rounders was considered a fun game and was never competitive.   Rounders was played a lot like the baseball we play today, with the exception that people would be hit with the ball instead of tagged.  The baseball that we know today probably came from rounders.

In 1845 there was a man from New York, Alexander J. Cartwright, who headed a group of people that wrote the first baseball rules.  The new rules stated that the players had to be tagged with the ball, the playing field was to be larger, and the ball was to be harder to make it more fun.  

No one really knows where or when the first baseball game was played.  It could have been in Cooperstown New York, 1839; Hoboken New Jersey, 1846; or Beachville Ontario, 1838.  The thing everyone agreed upon was that the new way of playing baseball was a lot more fun and safer than rounders had been.

In 1871 the National Association of Baseball was formed.   Later, the name changed a few of times through the years. It is now known as the National League.   The American League didn't come about until 1900.  The first game with the winners of each league playing one another happened in 1903 and still continues to be played.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
isn't that special, congrats and happy 1000th.

i am going to be there soon myself too i think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top