Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2010 5:47:44 PM EDT
Looking at and liking both trucks the ford is a F350 Harley Davidson version.  Dodge is a 2500 Laramie short box.  Both are the 4 door versions.  Anyone have any opinions on either of these (good or bad but please explain).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
By choice of engine/transmission, the Dodge.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont get me wrong....I love my ford trucks....but.  the 6.0 is the single biggest P.O.S. ford has ever put in a truck.....I run them everyday, so do know what Im talking about. a fleet of twenty and they average 1week in shop, 2 days on road......

buy the dodge in this case.......
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Dodge
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of my research is turning up dodge too.  The cummins is well proven.  I haven't found much good at all about the ford 6.0 which was too bad.  I really like the look and fit and finish of the Ford but since I plan on owning this rig for a long time the longevity and fuel economy of the Dodge wins in this case.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Cummins, all the way
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Dodge has a long history of crappy automatic transmissions.  I used to work in a Dodge service department and we were constantly replacing them.  The 6 speed is gtg though, and the Cummins diesel will run forever.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#7]
A Cummins with a 6spd is about as close to bomb proof as you are going to get right off the lot.

J-
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Dodge sucks, Cummins doesn't.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Bought the Cummins with the 6spd manual.  Expected to see a little better gas mileage (averaged 16.5 or so on a 300+ mile drive home @ 65-70MPH).  I still love it.  Never had to drop a gear over mountain passes.  Going to get a tuner and see if it will improve the MPG...
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Get both.
Pull both engines.
Put the Cummins engine in the Ford.
Sell the 6.0 and the Dodge for scrap so they might eventually be used to build something good.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
get the dodge with the 6 speed. do a muffler delete but LEAVE the cat. do a intake and a Smarty Jr. you will be bomb proof and get very good mileage
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#12]
As others have said, given the two choices, go with the Dodge and don't look back.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I"m a ford guy, and my votes on Dodge for this one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Sold my 01 F350 auto to buy an 05 dodge 3500 6spd...

Granted the ford had the 7.3L powerstroke so it doesn't match your choices but I love my dodge.. I've had it for 3yrs now and have no plans on getting rid of it.

Go Dodge..
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
A brand new Ford diesel - NOT  a 6.0 . I repeat do not buy a 6.0 PSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bought the Cummins with the 6spd manual.  Expected to see a little better gas mileage (averaged 16.5 or so on a 300+ mile drive home @ 65-70MPH).  I still love it.  Never had to drop a gear over mountain passes.  Going to get a tuner and see if it will improve the MPG...

I'm assuming the Dodge is 4wd based on the MPG - I'd say slowing down would be the biggest improvement in MPG but that's probably not what you wanted to hear.  What's the RPM at 65-70mph?  I drive a '00 CTD 6spd and if I get above 2000 RPM my MPG drops off quickly - I'm not sure what the sweet spot is for the later model common rail engines.

Brian

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Cummins, no question.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A Cummins with a 6spd is about as close to bomb proof as you are going to get right off the lot.

J-

This could very well be true........and I DON'T care for Dodge, so for me that's a lot.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm assuming the Dodge is 4wd based on the MPG - I'd say slowing down would be the biggest improvement in MPG but that's probably not what you wanted to hear.  What's the RPM at 65-70mph?  I drive a '00 CTD 6spd and if I get above 2000 RPM my MPG drops off quickly - I'm not sure what the sweet spot is for the later model common rail engines.

Brian

You are right on the money.  I was in a hurry to get home I guess.  I have been getting up to 19-21 mpg commuting to/from work (55-60mph) and taking it easy on the revs.  I think that's pretty good but I'm still going to see what a tuner, intake and exhaust do to the mpg's.  Very happy with the purchase so far.  Just have a few modest mods in mind like a small lift, new tires, spray in bed liner and airbags for a camper .  So far I have been enoying it.  Last PU was an 07 2500 with the Hemi.  It was nice but I should have bought the diesel from the get go.  I think I'll be getting twice the MPG's with the diesel over the gas truck if I can keep my foot out of it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You are right on the money.  I was in a hurry to get home I guess.  I have been getting up to 19-21 mpg commuting to/from work (55-60mph) and taking it easy on the revs.  I think that's pretty good but I'm still going to see what a tuner, intake and exhaust do to the mpg's.  Very happy with the purchase so far.  Just have a few modest mods in mind like a small lift, new tires, spray in bed liner and airbags for a camper .  So far I have been enoying it.  Last PU was an 07 2500 with the Hemi.  It was nice but I should have bought the diesel from the get go.  I think I'll be getting twice the MPG's with the diesel over the gas truck if I can keep my foot out of it.

Buying the tuner, exhaust & intake for the improved MPG may not be a good investment - hell, the diesel option itself takes a long time to pay back for most owners.  OTOH, those upgrades for the power improvement may be worth every penny

Brian

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
The trick to better mileage is air and timing. Change out the air box, get rid of the muffler and soot trap (its not really a cat), and get a tuner that changes the injector timing, not one that increases boost. I have a PPE on my 05 and it makes a truck out of it. Also there is a plastic tube between the turbo and the air box that has baffles in it, take it out and replace it with one that is open, most diesel shops have these tubes. I get around 20-22 mpg on the highway with my truck as long as I keep it under 80.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Dodge sucks and so does it's value.....Cummings is good but in order to get it you must buy a truck that is very over priced and well just cheap looking inside and out.  Ford has had issues with the 6OH but It really falls on vehicle service and maintenence as to it's longevity.  I am a little biased though as I have been a Ford owner all my life with the momentary exception of a Dodge that I lost my ass on when freeing myself of it.
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss163/cshsrh/Stupid/MISC2010017.jpg
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#23]
i picked up alot of mpg with intake turbo back exhaust and intake horn with boost pipe. the most mpg came from my mp8 tuner for the fuel rail.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Dodge sucks and so does it's value.....Cummings is good but in order to get it you must buy a truck that is very over priced and well just cheap looking inside and out.  Ford has had issues with the 6OH but It really falls on vehicle service and maintenence as to it's longevity.  I am a little biased though as I have been a Ford owner all my life with the momentary exception of a Dodge that I lost my ass on when freeing myself of it.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss163/cshsrh/Stupid/MISC2010017.jpg

The fact that you call it Cummings, actually think the 6.0 Powerstoke is a good engine, and the fact you don't tow means your bias opinion has little to no weight.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top