Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 5:30:05 AM EDT
On my para ordinance mag (14 round) it is stamped

Restricted law enforcement / government use only!  1995

Why this restriction? Based on where it was originally sold?

Do these guns have enough odd safety features??? I remember when the first click was safety, and that was it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It was made during the dark days of the ban.

Therefore only "legal" to sell to .gov or LEO at that time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The reason for the law enforcement marking on the mag is because you have a ban era mag. They were still legal to make for law enforcement, and as I understand it had to be ordered by the department, not the individual officer. Those mags were marked restricted use so it would be evident that it was made for law enforcement or military use and not legal for someone to own who didn't fit into that category.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I guess 4 more bullets in the clip makes all the difference.

The 10 rounders are not labeled as such.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, really?

In 1994 President Clinton signed the Assault Wepons Ban that (among many, many other silly things) outlawed magazines in excess of 10 rounds for civilians. Magazines you currently owned were legal to keep but all newly manufactured magaizines that had a capacity of 11 or more rounds had to be marked (and sold only to) military or law enforcement.

It had the ancillary benefit of costing the Democrats the most seats in Congress in my memory.

It seems odd to me that a gun person wouldn't know about the AWB that expired just 4 years before you joined the board but, maybe it's a sign that it's fast becoming irrelevant history, never to be repeated.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Those were the dark days.  

"Hi-cap" Glock mags were $60+ with the extended versions fetching $100.  I remember buying a full capacity mag for my P226 and it cost me $70 out the door.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont buy this.

WTF how can you not have ever heard of this law?

Did you rise from under rock, run straight to a gun shop, buy something, and run back out?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Now you done it

To the OP.....seriously?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I dont buy this.

Did you rise from under rock, run straight to a gun shop, buy something, and run back out?

I know several people who have gotten into guns - especially since the 08 election - who know (or knew) nothing about the AWB.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Seriously? People have forgotten already?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On my para ordinance mag (14 round) it is stamped

Restricted law enforcement / government use only!  1995

Why this restriction? Based on where it was originally sold?

Do these guns have enough odd safety features??? I remember when the first click was safety, and that was it.

Everyone else is wrong. It is completely illegal for you to own.

Send it to me and I won't call across to the street to the BATF douches I mean agents.

Seriously.  Do it now.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm so glad that I was too young to be into firearms during the ban.  That would have SUCKED.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seriously? People have forgotten already?

They never knew. They weren't paying attention to start with..............

a-bare
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm so glad that I was too young to be into firearms during the ban.  That would have SUCKED.

I kick myself in the ass for not seeing the 86 MG ban coming.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#14]
FUCK THE UAW

FUCK BILL CLINTON

FUCK BHO
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
maybe it's a sign that it's fast becoming irrelevant history, never to be repeated.

Many of us still have state bans we deal with.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The money to be made on that ban was astounding.  A gun that cost less than a tax stamp is now worth $3k+!  Blows my mind.

I was talking to my wife about the 86 ban the other day actually.  I showed her a picture of a RDIAS and a picture of an HK sear.  Told her that the government made those tiny little pieces of metal be worth ~$12k.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though, eh?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dont buy this.

He's a noob.  Probably hasn't been around as long as the rest of us.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
maybe it's a sign that it's fast becoming irrelevant history, never to be repeated.

Many of us still have state bans we deal with.

Last I checked you all also still have elections.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
5500 posts and you don't know about the 1994-2004 "Assault Weapons Ban"?  Read more, post less.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The money to be made on that ban was astounding.  A gun that cost less than a tax stamp is now worth $3k+!  Blows my mind.

I was talking to my wife about the 86 ban the other day actually.  I showed her a picture of a RDIAS and a picture of an HK sear.  Told her that the government made those tiny little pieces of metal be worth ~$12k.

I remember buying my first AK a month after Red Dawn came out. Still have it BTW.

It was around $300 out the door, or I could wait a few and get the full auto one for $50 more plus the stamp.

Of course I was young and wanted my AK right now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have a picture of a RDIAS on my Facebook with a similar caption.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It DID but then we wouldn't have had all the fun we had here one night in Sept' of '04....

The countdowns and pic' posting threads were great....
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember buying my first AK a month after Red Dawn came out. Still have it BTW.

It was around $300 out the door, or I could wait a few and get the full auto one for $50 more plus the stamp.

....seriously?  It was only *$50* more?!  Man, that's incredible.  I would kill for that deal now.  Can't blame you though.  The waiting part sucks.  I paid for a can 2 months ago that hasn't even been made yet.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I
was talking to my wife about the 86 ban the other day actually.  I
showed her a picture of a RDIAS and a picture of an HK sear.  Told her
that the government made those tiny little pieces of metal be worth
~$12k.

Hell yeah!

Quoted:

Quoted:

It DID but then we wouldn't have had all the fun we had here one night in Sept' of '04....

The countdowns and pic' posting threads were great....
Oh hell yeah, I can imagine hahaha.  See, the thing is that it was a huge paradigm shift.  I can't even imagine paying $60 for a hicap Glock mag.  I've never seen them above $25.  I can't fathom paying more than $15 for a 30rd AR mag or more than $10 for a 30rd AK mag.  Honestly can't even contemplate it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Last I checked you all also still have elections.

We are outnumbered by the NYC/LI voting contingent. Almost every single one of these state gun laws originates with a downstate politician. The only exception I can recall was the proposed 50 cal ban that my own area rep submits every year because she thinks all sorts of aircraft are bing shot down by Barretts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#26]
you are going to prison if you possess that magazine.

Send it to me.

GR
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#27]

That is painful to look at.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seriously? Americans have forgotten already?

Of course they have. Guess why we got the Kenian in charge

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

....seriously?  It was only *$50* more?!  Man, that's incredible.  I would kill for that deal now.  Can't blame you though.  The waiting part sucks.  I paid for a can 2 months ago that hasn't even been made yet.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hindsight is always 20/20 though, eh? http://../../../../images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Hell yeah!

Quoted:
Quoted:

The countdowns and pic' posting threads were great....http://../../../../images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif
Oh hell yeah, I can imagine hahaha.  See, the thing is that it was a huge paradigm shift.  I can't even imagine paying $60 for a hicap Glock mag.  I've never seen them above $25.  I can't fathom paying more than $15 for a 30rd AR mag or more than $10 for a 30rd AK mag.  Honestly can't even contemplate it.

Yeah, it WAS pretty nasty at times.  A LOT of folks here were paying $25+ for NIW USGI mag's and Beta mag's were in the $700-$800 range and went
pretty damn quick.

The thing I like to remember about the "ban" was that (Although it straddled us with all sorts of stupid horse shit to try and get around) we DID
find ways around it.  I was working gun shows at the time and (As far as imported stuff went from the '89 ban) 922R violations "seemed" to be
everywhere and it didn't seem to slow too many folks down....

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm so glad that I was too young to be into firearms during the ban. That would have SUCKED.
Bought my first AR right after 9/11. Bushmaster carbine. Couldn't call it an M4 since it had a full stock on it with a shitty AK-style muzzle brake, not even a flash-hider. Damn AWB accomplished nothing but making what would normally be a beautiful rifle an ugly abomination. Not to mention demanding uber-rediculous prices for magazines that held over ten rounds. Pre-ban lowers.... don't even get me started !

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, never saw it coming. At least we have the internet now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont buy this.

He's a noob.  Probably hasn't been around as long as the rest of us.

I guess not, but Im the kind of guy who would see things like "PREBAN COLT AR15A2 and "Wonder what that Preban stuff everyone talks about means?" and go research it.  

I was into guns in the 80's, but was too poor to be into the machineguns.  Dad and I had the Polytechs and such, but it all meant nothing much, as no one in our area had a clue about them.  We were the only non-fudd shooters in the area.  

Fast forward to now, and everyone at least has a little idea what a Black Rifle or something is.  

Just weird.  I love this hobby so much I want to know all I can as soon as I can.  Always been that way for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top