Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/2/2023 12:08:48 AM EDT
Commented on it a few times in threads on here and debated sharing pics in a post because I knew I'd get all the "sideways pussy", maskholes and WWII rage-rs commenting but fuck it, maybe someone will enjoy seeing some pics and hearing what an old non-traveling Ohio fat guy thought of his 1st overseas trip.

First some context

In 2020 I was awarded a $6k cash prize at work from an endowment for employees after 5 years of service. You apply via letter telling what "dream" you would to do with your award.

After 5 years of working at the school where my son attended I spelled out a graduation trip in 2020 to Japan. A place we both shared an interest in. As a car guy I wanted to go to Nagoya's WekFest and also Ebisu circuit. We got the tix and then COVID fucked it up.

2 years later when Japan re-opened this Oct 11 I gave up on a spring trip and decided to hit winter break. I bought two tix @ $5800 no stops (Airlines were fucking up flights so I wasn't gonna gamble with a layover). My wife was cool AF about us going w/o her and even encouraged us.

Leading up to the trip I was working 12+ hours a day leading up to a work trip to Denver. The day I got home I stared booking hotels. I soon found out Japanese travel at that time for New years and all the hotels were booked unless they were $1200+ a night places. I was stupid and booked a room from found out fast nothing was open in Tokyo proper except business class hotels. twin bed tiny rooms.

Managed to get a tiny room in a good spot for the 3rd stay and then booked bullet train tix for Kyoto with my $777 JRail pass

waiting at the airport I did my 1st of 3 doodles. I suck but I always said if I went I'd take a sketchbook

Got in on a Friday at 6pm and after customs, immigration, renting wifi hotspots, changing currency and getting some info at the tourist office we jumped on a train get to Shinjuku station and got lost. We jumped off the train to get our bearings and that was our 1st sight of Japan and we were floored.

My kid is studying Japanese and asked some random young guy to explain how the Tokyo mass transit system works like we were 5. Dude jumped on a train with us, changed lines, got us through Shinjuku station and delivered us to our hotel door. Shinjuku station is insane. We would probably still be in it trying to find an exit without this guy's help.

On with some pics. We took a walk that friday night and headed out to Shibuya on Saturday. I wanted to go to a car even 3 hours away but had to get out bullet train rail pass and the office opened at 10 (like most businesses)

We got the passes fixed and hit the Shibuya crossing. Busiest intersection in the world., grabbed some ramen and while walking stumbled into an art gallery where Mika Pikazo had a show. I have followed her art for a while so it was a really cool surprise

near our hotel on night 1

Shinjuku station

near the hotel/station. Ginko trees still have leaves

1st ramen and some gyoza

Mika Pikazo art show

1st impression: Tokyo is mindbending. Not enough superlatives. Like ocular meth or something

Day 1. I'll add some more as I get some time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#1]
So cool. This place amazes me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:12:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Iva always wanted to go to Japan to improve my Ninjitsu.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice. I’d like to see Japan one day, kinda want to climb Mt Fuji. Thanks for posting OP
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag.  Sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Good on you for going. Hope to make it there some day. I used to know a guy who would export Mopar muscle cars to Japan. They are willing to pay for quality.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:19:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Neat. Never been to Japan. Those pics all remind me of Kendall/Central Square in Cambridge MA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Any Daikoku/Wangan pics?

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Meh, looks like another city. Food looks great though! Enjoy the trip.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Commented on it a few times in threads on here and debated sharing pics in a post because I knew I'd get all the "sideways pussy", maskholes and WWII rage-rs commenting but fuck it, maybe someone will enjoy seeing some pics and hearing what an old non-traveling Ohio fat guy thought of his 1st overseas trip.

First some context

In 2020 I was awarded a $6k cash prize at work from an endowment for employees after 5 years of service. You apply via letter telling what "dream" you would to do with your award.

After 5 years of working at the school where my son attended I spelled out a graduation trip in 2020 to Japan. A place we both shared an interest in. As a car guy I wanted to go to Nagoya's WekFest and also Ebisu circuit. We got the tix and then COVID fucked it up.

2 years later when Japan re-opened this Oct 11 I gave up on a spring trip and decided to hit winter break. I bought two tix @ $5800 no stops (Airlines were fucking up flights so I wasn't gonna gamble with a layover). We left 12/16 and flew back 12/27. My wife was cool AF about us going w/o her and even encouraged us.

Leading up to the trip I was working 12+ hours a day leading up to 12/5 a work trip to Denver with students. The day I got home I stared booking hotels. I soon found out Japanese travel at that time for New years and all the hotels were booked unless they were $1200+ a night places. I was stupid and booked a room from 12/16, 12/19 and then 12/19, 12/21 to Kyoto and then found out fast nothing was open in Tokyo proper 12/21-12/27 except business class hotels. twin bed tiny rooms.

Managed to get a tiny room in a good spot for the 3rd stay and then booked bullet train tix for Kyoto with my $777 JRail pass

waiting at DET I did my 1st of 3 doodles. I suck but I always said if I went I'd take a sketchbook
https://i.postimg.cc/tJDpYRVy/IMG-5559.jpg

Got in on a Friday at 6pm and after customs, immigration, renting wifi hotspots, changing currency and getting some info at the tourist office we jumped on a train get to Shinjuku station and got lost. We jumped off the train to get our bearings and that was our 1st sight of Japan and we were floored.

My kid is studying Japanese and asked some random young guy to explain how the Tokyo mass transit system works like we were 5. Dude jumped on a train with us, changed lines, got us through Shinjuku station and delivered us to our hotel door. Shinjuku station is insane. We would probably still be in it trying to find an exit without this guy's help.

On with some pics. We took a walk that friday night and headed out to Shibuya on Saturday. I wanted to go to a car even 3 hours away but had to get out bullet train rail pass and the office opened at 10 (like most businesses)

We got the passes fixed and hit the Shibuya crossing. Busiest intersection in the world., grabbed some ramen and while walking stumbled into an art gallery where Mika Pikazo had a show. I have followed her art for a while so it was a really cool surprise

https://i.postimg.cc/X7z6hzf2/IMG-5572.jpg

Shinjuku station
https://i.postimg.cc/6q6NJsbP/IMG-5601.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/26DDGLQr/IMG-5606.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zGHY1Fpq/IMG-5622.jpg

1st ramen and some gyoza
https://i.postimg.cc/hGxnV172/IMG-5627.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/26wPxcj7/IMG-5628.jpg

Mika Pikazo art show
https://i.postimg.cc/pVkHQTpM/IMG-5633.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/SNspghM2/IMG-5655.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/RhPxvPjZ/IMG-5662.jpg

1st impression: Tokyo is mindbending. Not enough superlatives. Like ocular meth or something

View Quote

Tokyo has like 17 downtowns. It is insane.

And that was when I visited 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Japan is an upcoming adventure for me as well
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#15]
So the sideways pussies are wearing masks while being nuked?

J/k I always thought Japan would be sweet to go to. Their car culture is cool but very weird. They build some awesome shit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#17]
So after two night sin our tiny "business traveler" hotel we took the Sinkansen to Kyoto for two nights. I literally fell in love with Kyoto. Just a great place. This hotel was a traditional Japanese style hotel with an onsen and Japanese style breakfast. We did have a steak dinner that was OK

We ate a lot of ramen, convenience store sandwiches and chicken which were all excellent and cheap.

Lousy room I booked for me and my kid. Mattress was awesome though. My back was never sore.

Boarding for Shinkansen

Shinjujku station

Hot and cold stuff in the machines

The fast Shinkansen. They have some slightly slower ones.

Yokahama at 200mph

Fuji-san

Kyoto Chopper

Aesthetic

James Bond's room

Hotel view on front side

More Kyoto next...
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Full day in Kyoto. We decided to just walk a bit. Our hotel was near a park. This became a real memory later because Tokyo has no fucking grass anywhere. It was beautiful and used by the locals. Next to the hotel was a rail museum and the aquarium. I hit the aquarium alone and let my kid sleep in. Awesome place. I got my kid up and we walked 35 minutes uphill to Kiyomizu-dera shrine. The week before tis trip I was recovering from Tendonitis and man, I was hurting bad but I ignored that shit because Japan.

Small shrine near a coffee shop we stopped at

mmmcoffee - but not Coffee in Japan. Was kinda like starbucks everywhere. Burnt taste

Aesthetic

Cars under 600cc get a yellow plate.

Yeah we grabbed some 'merica for breakfast.
mmmbeefstewpie

never saw a Home Depot.

Toyota Crowns were actually bad ass

Near the temple

We fucked up and took this path instead of the temple entrance path. It ended up being a great experience

...because this view in this setting almost made me cry

Single best picture I took the whole trip

Yukata

The path up the mountain we were supposed to take. It was like a festival.

steamed pork/chili bun. I could eat this for the rest of my life. After the walk I was starving

Subie

So many cool Toyota trucks.

Cops

More Kyoto pics...

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Curious if a lot of the people there are wearing masks.

My son is doing a study abroad program for a month in Japan this coming Summer. He's really looking forward to it. My best friend's son is stationed on the Reagan there. They're hoping to meet up if the Reagan's not at sea.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I spent two incredible years in Japan.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Keep the pics coming OP. Cool thread.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I was stationed in Okinawa for 7 years, I miss a lot of things about Japan.

Oh, from the coin machines: Georgia coffees are awesome, so is the canned corn soup! Lawson's convenience store has damn good chicken, dont bother steak, Soba, Ramen, Sushi, Sashimi... dude Japanese cuisine is goddamned delicious!

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Japan is cool as F$'k to visit. I wish that I was smarter and more adventurous in my youth.

Alas I only have stories of me and an asp in a glass jar.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Cool
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Curious if a lot of the people there are wearing masks.

My son is doing a study abroad program for a month in Japan this coming Summer. He's really looking forward to it. My best friend's son is stationed on the Reagan there. They're hoping to meet up if the Reagan's not at sea.
View Quote

Every fucking one. Indoors and out. It's still 2020-21 there
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I was stationed there (and lived out in town) for ~2.5 years. Those pictures bring back memories. Definitely an interesting and unique place!
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I was stationed in Okinawa for 7 years, I miss a lot of things about Japan.

Oh, from the coin machines: Georgia coffees are awesome, so is the canned corn soup! Lawson's convenience store has damn good chicken, dont bother steak, Soba, Ramen, Sushi, Sashimi... dude Japanese cuisine is goddamned delicious!

View Quote

Never had the canned corn soup because it’s only around in the winter
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Cool thread OP. Lots of good pics, appreciate the perspective!
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:01:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Japan is like a giant version of what Disneyland should have been, but with better food.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

First some context

2 years later when Japan re-opened this Oct 11 I gave up on a spring trip and decided to hit winter break. I bought two tix @ $5800 no stops (Airlines were fucking up flights so I wasn't gonna gamble with a layover). We left 12/16 and flew back 12/27. My wife was cool AF about us going w/o her and even encouraged us.

Leading up to the trip I was working 12+ hours a day leading up to 12/5 a work trip to Denver with students. The day I got home I stared booking hotels. I soon found out Japanese travel at that time for New years and all the hotels were booked unless they were $1200+ a night places. I was stupid and booked a room from 12/16, 12/19 and then 12/19, 12/21 to Kyoto and then found out fast nothing was open in Tokyo proper 12/21-12/27 except business class hotels. twin bed tiny rooms.

waiting at DET I did my 1st of 3 doodles. I suck but I always said if I went I'd take a sketchbook
https://i.postimg.cc/tJDpYRVy/IMG-5559.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/X7z6hzf2/IMG-5572.jpg

Shinjuku station
https://i.postimg.cc/6q6NJsbP/IMG-5601.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/26DDGLQr/IMG-5606.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zGHY1Fpq/IMG-5622.jpg

1st ramen and some gyoza
https://i.postimg.cc/hGxnV172/IMG-5627.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/26wPxcj7/IMG-5628.jpg

Mika Pikazo art show
https://i.postimg.cc/pVkHQTpM/IMG-5633.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/SNspghM2/IMG-5655.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/RhPxvPjZ/IMG-5662.jpg

View Quote

Mind bending is a good way of describing it.

I've been to most of the largest cities in the world.  Tokyo is on another level, literally.  Most cities have a downtown area with a bunch of skyscrapers that constitute a skyline.  Think lower Manhattan.  Tokyo skyscrapers keep on going on like that for as far as you can see.  Literally on another level...vertically.  It's crazy.  No other city is like it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Neat!

I have to go someday. My wife and now daughter are part Japanese.

Too young to have had anything to do with the war LOL.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Very cool OP. I'm not sure I could handle a place like Tokyo
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#34]
I got an electric griddle after 10 years with my company. Lol. Will be 15 in March and I’m wondering if I’ll get a $10 gift card.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:06:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Yawn aquariums. Well I worked at a zoo so I kinda wanted to see what Kyoto had to offer and it was 25' from my hotel

This ray was not small

moon sea Jellys

cool dolphin show

doodle 2

Aeon mall.
About malls in Japan. It's like 1989. Kids walking around, cruising the food courts and game centers. We came back later looking for something "japan" to buy. It proved to be a challenge. Japanese want western stuff. I saw too many GAP stores and US college team sweatshirts. I would have bought a Tokyo U sweatshirt except they literally sell nothing in my XXL size. Bring enough clothes if you go to Japan and "Ohio-sized" cause you are SOL if you need underwear or T shirts

2nd Street is a used clothing store for designer brands. My kid hit these hard.

Speaking of shitty diet, I asked my kid what was for dinner. He replied "cheesecake". He saw this store on a poster and wanted to try it. Little old guy seemed grateful for the business. Kyoto has taken a huge hit from Japan being closed

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:07:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Full day in Kyoto. We decided to just walk a bit. Our hotel was near a park. This became a real memory later because Tokyo has no fucking grass anywhere. It was beautiful and used by the locals. Next to the hotel was a rail museum and the aquarium. I hit the aquarium alone and let my kid sleep in. Awesome place. I got my kid up and we walked 35 minutes uphill to Kiyomizu-dera shrine. The week before tis trip I was recovering from Tendonitis and man, I was hurting bad but I ignored that shit because Japan.
View Quote

If you get back to Tokyo in the future, hit up the Imperial Gardens. It's an amazing experience, that's where you'll find all the Tokyo grass :D It just such an experience standing in the middle of an amazing forest, not seeing a single building, but knowing you're in one of the densest areas in the world.

Wife and I did Tokyo/Kyoto in early December and it was fantastic. I enjoyed Kyoto a bit more than Tokyo (we've been a few times now to Tokyo), had a bit more of a small town feel. Always enjoy heading over there, never had a bad time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:09:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Those are some nice sketches OP.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Awesome!

We are going in February.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I didn't see a single piece of garbage in any of those photos. Our cities are trashed in comparison.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:13:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Japan looks clean AF. Like Singapore without canes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:19:44 AM EDT
[#41]
On my bucket list is to get laps on Motegi
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#42]
So a brief respite here in pics. You can scroll past to the next batch if you want...

Leading up to this trip I mentioned I was coaching a robotics team and working my ass off, planning a huge infrastructure project and also launching a new software system for our cafeteria. I was under a LOT of stress and looming over it all I was not planning for this trip.

My kid and I were joking it was "Japan with no plan". It was funny until it wasn't. It stopped being funny when we got on the plane. Getting lost on Day one ratcheted up the stress and with Kyoto I finally started to relax.

I was getting up at 6am on Day 1 in Kyoto and getting ready to find coffee when I decided to go up on the hotel roof and get my bearings I opened the door to this view and I will admit I choked up, maybe cried for a minute and was 100% in the moment until the sun finally broke over the mountains.

Here's 47 pics of the same sunrise. Sue me for being self indulgent but dammit, I had a moment and this is what it looked like for 30 minutes

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:25:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
On my bucket list is to get laps on Motegi
View Quote

We skipped the museum at Motegi. I was sad but it was a 6 hour round trip. We also missed a car show 3 hours away because of the rail pass stuff I had to get fixed up
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:34:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I didn't see a single piece of garbage in any of those photos. Our cities are trashed in comparison.
View Quote
They chose their future, and we chose ours.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

No trash. Anywhere.
No dumpsters in the whole city
No garbage cans, you carry your trash back to America fatty.
No benches, you walk and fucking like it
No sweat pants.
No raised voices. It's a 37 million person city and no one yells or even talks.
No fat people. Except me.

Every job is a profession and treated as such.
Respect is given not demanded
Everyone in Tokyo dresses like they are headed out to a go on a date

Women are beautiful. I mean heart stoppingly beautiful. You think "that is the most beautiful woman on the planet" and then the next one gets on the train and she's even better looking.

Fashion: Tokyo is like Paris. (Their pastries are too). Women have 10000 "looks".
Guys either look like salarymen or Idols because the options are pretty lame.

Uniqlo is like Japanese GAP stores. You can look good for cheap but not a lot of variety -but the women's clothes, holy shit. I can't even explain how good looking EVERYONE is there.

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#46]
So clean. Amazing what a lack of entitled minorities and shaming does for a place.

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:39:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Awesome photos - brings back lots of good memories - hope to be able to visit again - sounds like your trip was everything that you had hoped for…

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:42:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Awesome photos - brings back lots of good memories - hope to be able to visit again - sounds like your trip was everything that you had hoped for…

View Quote

Exceeded expectations

Next up Shinagawa where we stayed 12/21-27...
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#49]
That brought back some memories. Cool pics.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#50]
My family and I went to Tokyo (Stayed in Shinjuku Hilton, was amazing), Kyoto (Air b-n-b house), Osaka (Hilton), and then Shanghai and finally Beijing in their Hiltons, 2 weeks total.  It was amazing.  China sucked in comparison.

Very clean, the streets in Kyoto, even be back alleys, you could eat off of.

My daughter has been in Seoul since August for foreign exchange at SKKU.  She finished up classes early December and stayed another month, comes back next week.

We went and visited her for a week, got back Thursday.  Everyone is wearing masks, without fail.  Sometimes people had them off outdoors briefly.  It was so cold my breath would build up water in my mask and I'd have to take it off and wipe my face, some days it froze to my beard.

Wanted to go to the JSA in the DMZ but it is still closed from Covid so didn't want to spend a day going just to look over the border.

Wish the masks weren't mandatory, I really enjoy seeing faces on trips like that, and yes the women were beautiful on the chance you saw them maskless outdoors.

I quickly mastered the trains in Japan, same with Seoul.  I went to NYC in 2019 and took the subway one time and it was a fucking disgrace by comparison.  Dirty, smelly, confusing.

Since it was just the two of us we took business class on Korean air direct from DFW, it was amazing.  On the way back same seats with a layover in SFO, then to first class AA.  First class felt ghetto compared to business class Korean Air.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top