Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
All those home shows give people unrealistic expectations.  “Oh, that’s going to be very cheap and easy, and fun!”  Let’s do the same thing to our house and expect to pay the same as it costs down in Toad Holler, Mississippi.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All those home shows give people unrealistic expectations.  “Oh, that’s going to be very cheap and easy, and fun!”  Let’s do the same thing to our house and expect to pay the same as it costs down in Toad Holler, Mississippi.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey! Us folks in Toad Holler, Mississippi take offense at that, even though it's true.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The network/producers/stars make money off the shows, yet charge the homeowners full tilt for the work done by incompetent unskilled illegals. What is the qualifications of the couple that host the show?
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The biggest complaints I am reading are they had to live at the construction site, and shit took longer than it was supposed to.

No shit - welcome to home renovations.

Material costs were 3x-4x what they probably were when quoted, and finding good construction help is the hardest it's ever been.

Buncha whiny bitches.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not only that, but the use of sledgehammers seems exceedingly exaggerated compared to the renos I’ve done.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#7]
All of these "nightmares" would have been forgotten had they handed over nicely finished homes at the end without a bunch of surprises. Most of the photos are pretty typical of getting work done, especially if you're hiring lowest bidder unlicensed contractors. It's obvious the couple hosting was "fake it till you make it" types. Had they had any of their own cash they should have gotten a few of the fuck ups smoothed over and the shows in the can before attempting to fuck over the homeowners but were evidently too stupid for that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#8]
All of these shows are fake.  You can tell they don't know what they're doing.  Every scene where the supposed GCs are working, they're doing something wrong.  The best show was Renovation Realities.  Just couples screaming at each other and never getting anything done.  That's the show where the guy almost cut his jugular with a rented chainsaw.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey! Us folks in Toad Holler, Mississippi take offense at that, even though it's true.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Obviously you’ve been in my house while Mrs Pointblanke is watching this crap. Next time, bring some bourbon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The network/producers/stars make money off the shows, yet charge the homeowners full tilt for the work done by incompetent unskilled illegals. What is the qualifications of the couple that host the show?
View Quote

Basically be hipsters and "instagram influencers" that can't get enough of people looking at them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Talk about some out of context shots.  Laying out the flooring before nailing it down is normal.  I’m sure there were some issues (always are), but a lot of that first story looks contrived.  One issue I see is these ‘renovation’ shows have gone so over the top that people really believe a complete remake of their entire house can be done in a 30 minute episode.  Contractor couples are also jumping on the bandwagon to become TV personalities instead of general contractors.  Timeline drama and sledgehammers through drywall is not required, but is always included because it’s TV.  Both sides need a reality check.  Home owners - You’re not getting your dumpy house turned into a mansion overnight for free.  Contractor Couples - you’re supposed to be doing renovation for a customer and just happen to have cameras filming your work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#13]
There is one show my wife watches on the HDTV, where a fat redhead and her mother renovate houses in Indiana. Every time it amazes me how that show is not shut down by OSHA, with tens of thousands of dollars in fines. The women hire a bunch of complete morons, especially for the demo part.

In one episode, idiots took out load-bearing walls and then sawed the roof in half while standing on top. Other idiots were inside the structure looking up. The house, as expected, collapsed. They were lucky to avoid injuries and death. If I were to do something like that (not that I ever would), I would end up in jail.

I am sure there's an OSHA inspector watching this show somewhere in Indiana. If you are, please visit their "jobsites".

Just looked up the name of the show. It's called "Good Bones".
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#14]
"I work part time at a daycare and my husband breeds salamanders. Our budget is 1.3 million. "
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"I work part time at a daycare and my husband breeds salamanders. Our budget is 1.3 million. "
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
"I work at the Dollar Tree and my husband makes artisanal pencils. Our budget is 2.1 million."
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#17]
The budgets in those shows are ludicrous compared.

"We have a budget of $75k and want to remodel the kitchen, two bathrooms, reconfigure the floor plan, add a laundry room, and put on an addition."

And then the host tells them it'll be tight but they can make it work.

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is one show my wife watches on the HDTV, where a fat redhead and her mother renovate houses in Indiana. Every time it amazes me how that show is not shut down by OSHA, with tens of thousands of dollars in fines. The women hire a bunch of complete morons, especially for the demo part.

In one episode, idiots took out load-bearing walls and then sawed the roof in half while standing on top. Other idiots were inside the structure looking up. The house, as expected, collapsed. They were lucky to avoid injuries and death. If I were to do something like that (not that I ever would), I would end up in jail.

I am sure there's an OSHA inspector watching this show somewhere in Indiana. If you are, please visit their "jobsites".

View Quote

My wife watches that show too. In fact she watches all of those shows.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I personally know someone that was on one of those “ find the perfect dream vacation home and remodel it” shows.

It was 95% made up.  The show implied that they narrowed the purchase down to three homes and actually owned the vacation home for nine months. Knowing that they were going to film the show they let the bushes grow, the lawn and the weeds grow all over the property.

This was a very small two bedroom house in close proximity to a popular beach.  The filming crew did a miraculous job making the place seem huge but it was only 1100 ft.².

Most of the renovation was simply removing a wall, getting some nice blinds/curtains and painting everything. Then they bring in a bunch of fake furniture for rent and make it look like the couple decorated it themselves.

The good news is the show actually did pay for the renovation which cost about 30 grand.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, the people and their budget kills me. I think that is the new normal, I was always taught to buy something that you can comfortable afford, less that you can actually. Then people bitch about their mortage, it's kind of like student loans.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's funny because it's true.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd be testing those load bearing walls with Johanna.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

"We have a budget of $75k and want to remodel the kitchen, two bathrooms, reconfigure the floor plan, add a laundry room, and put on an addition."

View Quote

Love it or List it.  Famous for this shit. Always, every fucking episode they run into the unforeseen $10,000 expense.

About 2 years ago there was a big lawsuit against HGTV for the shitty work done in a home in Wilmington NC since they moved production there.  They had better documentation on this fuckup and it was some bad shit.  I even went back and watched the episode and some of the little things like when they moved the AC ducting, they left the old holes in the floor along the baseboard.  Didn't even put a register back in the hole. Just left the fucking hole.  The article exposed all the BS. Even the "contractor" is just an actor.  But same situation, double the budget on the home owner and bring in their own shitty contractors.  This couple was about to do the renovations anyway, had the contractor picked out and he was ready to go.  But being attention whores on TV was more important to them than getting their renovation done right.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be fair to Love it or List it, i think a lot of that is to create artificial drama as the homeowners have stupidly unrealistic expectations, the "smart" renovation lady can show them where they are wrong and "work" to fit as much in as possible, then WOW, you did SO much more than we THOUGHT you were because you originally told us you could only do X but this turned out MUCH better than expected.

It also sets up a nice little counterpoint for the realtor as he tries to find them a new home because then he can constantly harp on what his new home option brings to the table that they aren't getting with their limited renovation.

In the end, it's all about the show and creating manufactured drama so people want to watch how it ends. And to be fair, they are HUGELY popular, so GD can whine as much as they want, but it works.

Some of the shows actually do a much better job of being realistic with their budget and showing you that if you want to renovate your entire main floor, yes, you dumb fuck, you're going to need $150k.

That's why there are some of the shows i just refuse to watch, but there are a few, like Property Brothers or Holmes Family Rescue, that i do enjoy. Especially Holmes Family Rescue where he goes in and shows how people got fleeced by asshole contractors and just how badly things can go wrong if you don't watch them like a hawk.

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#25]
This Old House is pretty much the only one worth watching. Its only on the Roku channel though as far as I know, or Youtube for clips. Those guys know what they're doing and are up front about how much time it takes to do the job right.

The other shows dont show people the dirty work behind renovations. All they care about showing is an open floor plan and how to pick what color cabinets to install.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The biggest complaints I am reading are they had to live at the construction site, and shit took longer than it was supposed to.

No shit - welcome to home renovations.

Material costs were 3x-4x what they probably were when quoted, and finding good construction help is the hardest it's ever been.

Buncha whiny bitches.
View Quote

Found the contractor
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife likes Flip or Flop. This Hollywood couple buy shitholes in Los Angeles for $700k and flip them for over a million. It really is la la land out there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Found the contractor
View Quote

not even close.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

My friends kitchen remodel was $48k six years ago.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Holmes on Homes is pretty good.  Although he's in there fixing other contractors screw ups.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

To be fair to Love it or List it, i think a lot of that is to create artificial drama as the homeowners have stupidly unrealistic expectations, the "smart" renovation lady can show them where they are wrong and "work" to fit as much in as possible, then WOW, you did SO much more than we THOUGHT you were because you originally told us you could only do X but this turned out MUCH better than expected.

It also sets up a nice little counterpoint for the realtor as he tries to find them a new home because then he can constantly harp on what his new home option brings to the table that they aren't getting with their limited renovation.

In the end, it's all about the show and creating manufactured drama so people want to watch how it ends. And to be fair, they are HUGELY popular, so GD can whine as much as they want, but it works.

Some of the shows actually do a much better job of being realistic with their budget and showing you that if you want to renovate your entire main floor, yes, you dumb fuck, you're going to need $150k.

That's why there are some of the shows i just refuse to watch, but there are a few, like Property Brothers or Holmes Family Rescue, that i do enjoy. Especially Holmes Family Rescue where he goes in and shows how people got fleeced by asshole contractors and just how badly things can go wrong if you don't watch them like a hawk.

View Quote

I don’t think the realtor is part of the show anymore it’s just that old hag.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Obviously you’ve been in my house while Mrs Pointblanke is watching this crap. Next time, bring some bourbon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here. we don't have those channels anymore, but my wife always expects best case (unrealistic) expectations for anything home related.

Wife - "can't we just put an addition off the back and turn the half bath into a master suite? what would that cost like $10k?"

how about we just move, because that sounds like less of a headache, and less expensive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I was in my neighbor's house two weeks ago.  They paid $46k for a bathroom renovation.

They did a free standing vanity, against a wall with a small group on the side, no backsplash.  They put mdf baseboard on a tile wall  They can't use the sinks because the p-traps weren't installed properly and aren't draining(no idea how that got fucked up)

And the most bizarre thing is they spent 15k of it on a glass door that will not hold soap residue for 10 years lol.

Hut looks like average grade shit and nothing is squared off or aligned.  I didn't have the heart to tell them it isn't a 46k bathroom.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Half those shows are fake and the other half with their "home" makeovers only show a couple of rooms that had work done, but the rest of the house still looks like shit.

And those rooms that were done are constructed with crappy material that look good on TV for 30 seconds but will fall apart under any use in 2 years. And we take all the furniture and staging crap the second the cameras are off.

The cherry on top.....you spent 40K on renovations, that added 1.2 million valuation to your house!!!! No it didn't you fucking pretz
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shows you how much i actually watch it

As noted, most people get wildly unrealistic expectations from these shows on what they can do with their home. While what some of the shows do is pretty awesome, at the end of the day it's not about showing you what is realistic, it's about making money, and a sexy kitchen island sells better commercial time than realism.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Holmes on Homes is pretty good.  Although he's in there fixing other contractors screw ups.
View Quote

Holmes on Homes teaches you a lot if you never did construction in a place with real brutal winters like Canada. Holmes is a real deal contractor and when he brings in subs like most generals do he makes sure the subs are qualified.

I am sure Canada requires the contractors be licensed, like mechanics do in Canada. I know the mechanics in Canada have to have to have a certain amount of schooling, work under a Red Label (Canada’s license) mechanic and then pass tests.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't watch any of those shows.  I figure they have about as much basis in reality as any other "reality" show.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that's the only one I can watch.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Toad Holler, Mississippi.
I have been there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Didn't read the whole article but skimmed it and looked at all the pictures.

Sounds like a bunch of BS and pictures showing the process which is of course ugly.  

Maybe they had a genuine bad experience but it wasn't documented well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Toad Holler, Mississippi.
I have been there.
View Quote

I'm not casting aspersions on Mississippi, but there's a reason these shows set up camp in lower cost of living parts of the country.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#45]
You laugh but there was a dude in NY that offered "Artisanal" pencil sharpening services. $40 bucks/pencil sharpening. Returned to owner with the shavings even.

He started it out as a joke to make fun of artist culture but people actually used the service. Even wrote a book.

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#47]
There is a reason I only do commercial construction.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
All of these shows are fake.  You can tell they don't know what they're doing.  Every scene where the supposed GCs are working, they're doing something wrong.  The best show was Renovation Realities.  Just couples screaming at each other and never getting anything done.  That's the show where the guy almost cut his jugular with a rented chainsaw.
View Quote

“Hey Chip, for this next shot we’re going to have you up on a ladder. When the prepositioned cameras record Johanna walking in, swing the hammer at that imaginary nail head poking out once or twice and act like you just finished the install. Then we’ll have Jorge go up and fix the damage you caused the drywall.

“After, you and Johanna will discuss this needed change. Here’s the quote from the subcontractor, but we want you to rattle it off as if you know the exact current material and labor costs and are going to do the work yourself.”
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Honestly sounds to me like, contractors doing what contractors do.  There are so many shitty ones out there and TV shows are not immune.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Worst of these home renovation shows is Barnwood Builders. I watched one episode where they "built" a house without roof, interior walls, doors, windows, or finished flooring.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top