Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2015 5:26:08 PM EDT
I've never liked it.  Ground beef doesn't do well, chicken/pork get too done, fish - forget about it.  So for the longest time I just put the meat in a huge bowl with cold water and change the water every 20 minutes or so.  Less than an hour and it's defrosted and ready to cook.  Granted better to just put in the fridge for a day, but when you need something to cook tonight it works very well.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Moving cold water is the best way.  Followed by standing cold water.  Followed by in the microwave.  Followed by sitting in teh fridge.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I put my stuff in a ziplock, sealed with most of the bag under water so it has no air in it then place it in a blow of warm water. If I am in a hurry I let warm water run slowly from the tap to keep the water warm. Unless it is a roast or something it is as fast as a microwave without fucking up my meat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Moving cold water is the best way.  Followed by standing cold water.  Followed by in the microwave.  Followed by sitting in teh fridge.

I put my stuff in a ziplock, sealed with most of the bag under water so it has no air in it then place it in a blow of warm water. If I am in a hurry I let warm water run slowly from the tap to keep the water warm. Unless it is a roast or something it is as fast as a microwave without fucking up my meat.

Cold water > warm water
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I toss it in the microwave when I forget to take meat out that day.  I always go a little lower than needed with size per pound defrosting, but it still gets done enough to cook with.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Microwave is nasty. I like putting it in the fridge.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
For meat, never. Good way to ruin it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure. If I'm running out of time or forget to pull it from the freezer, I'll use technology.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
absolute last resort. I usually remember to just put it out on the counter. i like to cook most meats from room temp.

if i have an hour or so I'll do water. in a hurry is the only time I'll do microwave. it's real tricky to get it right and with stuff like steaks they bleed out all the bloody goodness :(
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell nah

Cold water in the sink or overnight in the fridge.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't, because I haven't mastered the microwave.
It has this "defrost" cycle my wife uses when she wants to thaw food without cooking it. She can work that keypad like a stenographer.

I use the "30 seconds" button, and the cancel button.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't own one now, but I never used it for defrosting when I did.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, but only if I'm in a hurry. I've never had an issue but I only the set the weight at a half pound no matter how much weight I'm actually defrosting, never cooked anything doing it that way.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Last resort only.

Except for bacon, 10% for about 90 seconds softens a package up without cooking it just fine.

I don't want to wait around for an hour or so in the morning to let a package of bacon defrost.....
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Depends what it is, but yes I use it.

The best thing I use it for is some frozen sandwiches my wife bought... they are some kinda patty melt on a sub bun... works perfectly to pop it in the microwave on defrost until the oven is warmed up then cook it in the oven for about 10 minutes.  The bun is nice and crispy when it's done.
View Quote

That's actually the one thing I use it for if you can't put in fridge for a day. Defrosting frozen packaged sammiches works very well. They make them for that purpose.

I was talking frozen meat mainly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I toss it in the microwave when I forget to take meat out that day.  I always go a little lower than needed with size per pound defrosting, but it still gets done enough to cook with.
View Quote

Sometimes

Two minutes in microwave.
Hour in fridge.
Two more minutes in microwave.
Hour in fridge.
Repeat until thawed enough to use.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I cannibalized a plasma cutter and gave my wife the 9"x15" 8 pound aluminum heat sink out of it.

It does a nice job.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I've always used the microwave on a low power.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I rarely do.  Most of the time I'll put it in the fridge the night before and cook it the next day.  If it's still frozen the next day I'll let it sit out for an hour while I'm home for my lunch break, then put it back in the fridge.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine does fine. it is not a set and forget kinda thing though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes, but only as a last resort
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#23]
the sink and running water work quickly if your in a hurry. course im sure its a waste of water
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Slap that bitch on the grill, and cook it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Never

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Very, very rarely. Typically I plan meals at least 24 hours ahead, usually 48. Thats more than enough to defrost a right way. Running cold water, bowl of cold water, or fridge.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope.  I just set the meat or whatever needing to be defrost on the kitchen sink for a few hours to get a jump start, then put in the fridge over night
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I never use the microwave to defrost.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've never liked it.  Ground beef doesn't do well, chicken/pork get too done, fish - forget about it.  So for the longest time I just put the meat in a huge bowl with cold water and change the water every 20 minutes or so.  Less than an hour and it's defrosted and ready to cook.  Granted better to just put in the fridge for a day, but when you need something to cook tonight it works very well.

View Quote

This is not necessarily microwave-specific.  Defrosting ANY thick, frozen object by using powerful, direct heat will heat up the outside long before the inside thaws.  You'd get the same putting it under the broiler in the stove.

No matter what your heat source (microwave, hot air, water), the trick is to defrost it slowly enough that the heat you apply to the outside can migrate to the inside more or less as quickly as you deliver it.

Now, the microwave-specific part is that many microwaves (especially cheap ones) don't really do "low power" very well.  Inverter microwaves usually do much better at it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Only when I'm in a hurry.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Never, whole prey explodes in the microwave when defrosting.     Fortunately I was warned before attempting it personally.

Thaw for a day or two in the refrigerator then bring to 105*F using warm water before offering the feeder to your reptile.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Nope.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I always use running cold water or set it in the fridge overnight.  The only thing the microwave is good for is melting butter, heating water, and reheating leftovers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Overnight in the fridge.

If I forget, I grab something on the way home.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, if I forget to throw in in the refer the night before
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top