Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 2:04:52 PM EDT
I like a sharp knife for preparing meat...trimming, etc.  but I don't like sharpening every time especially when it doesn't come out sharp enough.

So, are ceramic knives any good for this?  Do they stay sharp?  Can you use them on the white plastic cutting boards?

Other comments or advice?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Ceramic knives are sharp as hell, but brittle.  Little tiny bits of the blade will break off as you use it, if you don't snap it in half completely at some point.  You are better off getting a set of good, chef quality (be prepared to drop some $$) German knives and learning to use a steel.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Kyocera ceramic.  I've used it for a few weeks and it's fantastic.   I also have a set of Benchmade Prestedges that are very nice steel blades.   I drop off my Benchmades at the factory for their free sharpening and they still dont get as sharp as my ceramic is after a couple weeks of use.  

Be careful with ceramics though when cutting around bone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like a sharp knife for preparing meat...trimming, etc.  but I don't like sharpening every time especially when it doesn't come out sharp enough.

So, are ceramic knives any good for this?  Do they stay sharp?  Can you use them on the white plastic cutting boards?

Other comments or advice?

Thanks.

I own one along with some other nice knifes. They stay sharp for a long long time. Use them on plastic or wood cutting surfaces, you should never use the glass ones regardless of the knife.

Comments: The knives are brittle, you can't use them on anything with bones or anything frozen. I don't use mine that often for that reason. It is not a replacement for metal knives IMHO because it is too fragile.

I've had very good luck with my Shun knives, I don't have a full set yet because they are pricey but worth every penny. But they stay very sharp with very little work.

-JTP
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the nice Japanese knives.  But have good german too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top