Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2022 3:07:04 PM EDT
Had someone kick me down this Heli with all the parts you see. Still need to hookup a Radio system, esc and FBL.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Had someone kick me down this Heli with all the parts you see. Still need to hookup a Radio system, esc and FBL.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493937/20220619_185325_jpg-2424993.JPG
View Quote

I did for a few years.

It's a complicated hobby perfect for tinkerers with a steep learning curve.

I think you need to start with a fixed pitch heli.  Learn your orientations.  Get a simulator and practice.  Then move into a collective pitch like someone gave you.  

You'll need to make sure that mechanically the heli is set up correctly (check your model manual).  That in itself will save you a lot of headaches down the road.  Otherwise you'll spend too much time trying to trim someone else's laziness out of the flight characteristics.

Get a 9 channel radio.  7 will work just fine, but 9 won't hurt.  I liked Futaba radios myself.  

Tech has improved in the few short years I've been out of it.  They've gotten a little easier to set up.  Your FBL controller is the brains of the operation and you would be very wise to read up on the various ones available.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Align Trex 450L and a Trex 150X. Both FBL.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Used to. Had a blast. Managed to fly for a couple years without ever crashing. Had more fun with fixed wing stuff though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Doing inverted stuff / 3d flying was interesting. Almost beefed it a couple times getting my brain crossed on the controls. But somehow always managed to save it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Used to. Had a blast. Managed to fly for a couple years without ever crashing. Had more fun with fixed wing stuff though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327887/DSCN0220_JPG-2425022.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327887/DSCN0285_JPG-2425023.JPG

Doing inverted stuff / 3d flying was interesting. Almost beefed it a couple times getting my brain crossed on the controls. But somehow always managed to save it.
View Quote

I used to gaze longingly when I was a pre-teen at the Raptor 30. Used to want one so bad I could taste it.

Then I got so far into cars and fixed wing I could never afford the Raptor. The 50 out around the time I got out of RC for a long time. Just got back into it a year ago. Two helis, two drones, and 3 cars now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
When I first learned how to fly my heli, I made something like this. Was an invaluable tool.

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Been flying helis since forever.  My first was an LMH-110.  Kids will never understand the struggle.

Start with a sim.

What part of ID are you in?
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Been flying helis since forever.  My first was an LMH-110.  Kids will never understand the struggle.

Start with a sim.

What part of ID are you in?
View Quote

@broken_reticle

Caldwell
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
@EvoXGunner

Got it, ping me it you want to fly together some time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@EvoXGunner

Got it, ping me it you want to fly together some time.
View Quote

Hell yes bro. Would very much appreciate meeting up with someone who knows about these and good places to fly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Flew in the National AMA championship in the early '90's with a Nitro fueled bird (rare these days), placed second in the Novice class. TONS of fun, I still dabble in the hobby here-and-there with the new helis, so much simpler, no gyro to worry about and they can literally fly themselves if you get in trouble. I've augered-in my share of helos through the years, hard to see a $1200.00 machine become a lawn dart before your eyes. It happens.

Enjoy. It's a great hobby that you can do (now with electric birds) in your house, unlike fixed wing. I had better luck learning on a collective pitch bird than fixed pitch, YMMV. It's an awesome hobby.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Flew in the National AMA championship in the early '90's with a Nitro fueled bird (rare these days), placed second in the Novice class. TONS of fun, I still dabble in the hobby here-and-there with the new helis, so much simpler, no gyro to worry about and they can literally fly themselves if you get in trouble. I've augered-in my share of helos through the years, hard to see a $1200.00 machine become a lawn dart before your eyes. It happens.

Enjoy. It's a great hobby that you can do (now with electric birds) in your house, unlike fixed wing. I had better luck learning on a collective pitch bird than fixed pitch, YMMV. It's an awesome hobby.
View Quote

I also skipped fixed pitch. I did a few hours on a sim then bought my first heli, a 300 class. This was in the early 00s. They were a lot less stable back then. Gyros and FBL systems have really advanced the hobby.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone made a VR R/c sim? That would be incredible for learning.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That WOULD be awesome.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think RealFlight is VR capable.  At very least you could fly with FPV goggles with HDMI input.

Sims are invaluable in learning.  Kinda hard to explain, there are some motor skills that need to be learned and honed.  The sim allows you to learn a whole lot faster and cheaper, since you are not crashing.

Now a word of caution.  Sims tend to make people a little lazy and can lead to some bad habits.  Some have bettet models than others, but all of them rely on a "perfect world" where the heli is set up correctly and the weather isn't doing crazy things.  At some point you have to accept you are going to crash.  Just suck it up and go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Nice one! Unfortunately i never had a chance to fly one. Hopefully it will come in the future though...
I am a very simple guy and all of my hobbies are from this list https://www.skillcourses.com/popular-common-hobbies/ - photography, yoga and watching tv shows and movies. I guess it is time to do something new and unusual , still didn't figure out what.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm just getting back into it after a 15yr break.  

Technology has really advanced with these things, and they've become much easier to fly and cheaper to buy and crash.

I had 90 size nitro machines in the past, and currently have a Trex 450, and Blade 150s and and OMP M2.  
They all fly great, even though my skills aren't what they used to be.

I was always a Futaba guy, but I really like the Spektrum stuff for the ease of use, and how much of the Horizon hobby stuff comes pre-programmed.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#18]
The last 2 money pits I had before hanging it up.
Get a sim. The wooden dowels/wiffle balls contraption is also helpful in the beginning.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I tried flying helis for a few months and soon discovered that the severity of the crashes was directly proportional to the remaining balance on my credit card
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I had that bird, an Oxy 4 max.

It was insane on 6S with the right motor.  I wasn't that great of a pilot though.

LYNX HELI OXY 4 MAX EVENING FLIGHT
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#21]
If you don't have a simulator.. get one.  Invaluable tool for helicopters and will save you lots of time and money.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, began in the 70s, couldn’t learn on the fixed pitch helis.

Finally learned with a Kyosho Concept, and after using a simulator I graduated to inverted flight. I haven’t flown RC helis for 24 years.

Lost the joy of flying.

My list of helis:

Micromold Lark
Dubro Tri-Star
GMP Cricket
Kyosho Concept 30
Miniature Aircraft X-cell 60 and 40
Kalt Enforcer
TSK Black Star and Mystar 60 (this is the only one I still have).
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes, began in the 70s, couldn't learn on the fixed pitch helis.

Finally learned with a Kyosho Concept, and after using a simulator I graduated to inverted flight. I haven't flown RC helis for 24 years.

Lost the joy of flying.

My list of helis:

Micromold Lark
Dubro Tri-Star
GMP Cricket
Kyosho Concept 30
Kalt Enforcer
View Quote
Pics of Dubro?
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I dabble in it but will confess that I suck as an RC heli pilot and pretty much only fly in self level mode.  Scale flying is my interest anyway so the self level works very well for that.  Just did a mild conversion of my Blade 230s into a Hughes 300.  I ran across a deal yesterday on the little scale Eachine 120 for $87 shipped to my door with remote and 3 batteries.  The dang thing is pretty awesome both as a beginner and a scale helicopter.  I could not resist especially since shipping on RC items from China has been $300+ lately.

Eachine E120 RC Helicopter - You'll Love it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Been flying RC planes for years, but I’ve been flying micro helis a lot lately. I got a XK 110s, wltoys power star that has managed to survive a few years and XK as350. Just picked up a TX16s mulitprotocol so I can finally get everything on one system. Thinking about picking up a OMP M2 around Christmas.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I dabble in it but will confess that I suck as an RC heli pilot and pretty much only fly in self level mode.  Scale flying is my interest anyway so the self level works very well for that.  Just did a mild conversion of my Blade 230s into a Hughes 300.  I ran across a deal yesterday on the little scale Eachine 120 for $87 shipped to my door with remote and 3 batteries.  The dang thing is pretty awesome both as a beginner and a scale helicopter.  I could not resist especially since shipping on RC items from China has been $300+ lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPe14g4BwA

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/318573/hughes_jpg-2455245.JPG
View Quote

LOVE the look of that.

I wish I could find one for my Align Trex 450.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LOVE the look of that.

I wish I could find one for my Align Trex 450.
View Quote

I've ordered the 3 blade rotor head and tail rotor as well as the white conversion kit that was what I wanted to begin with but was OOS.  A week later they had it in the Asia store.  I have several I would love to convert since I do not fly 3D but no luck finding any.  I almost am tempted to buy another 230s just to put the Huey kit they have on it.  They have several options at Microheli.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pics of Dubro?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, began in the 70s, couldn't learn on the fixed pitch helis.

Finally learned with a Kyosho Concept, and after using a simulator I graduated to inverted flight. I haven't flown RC helis for 24 years.

Lost the joy of flying.

My list of helis:

Micromold Lark
Dubro Tri-Star
GMP Cricket
Kyosho Concept 30
Kalt Enforcer
Pics of Dubro?

This is an internet photo from an RCM article by Grady Howard. I can’t find the old 1975 Polaroid I have of my Tri-Star. I never digitized it.

I bought one in 1975. I never got it off the ground. The drive belt kept breaking, probably because I had the engine misaligned. It was exciting, but I ended up selling it a few years later.

The Cricket actually got off the ground, but the flight inputs had no authority. I didn’t wreck it, but after keeping it for maybe 25 years, I sold it to an eager GMP collector with some spares.

The Micromold Lark (UK) was underpowered and only bobbled on the ground. A fun summer project back in the 70s.

I must have crashed more than a dozen times learning new stuff. Many dollars spent.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I still have a brand new sitting in a box because I stink at flying the non stabilized versions lol.  Its a nice little helo but I know I'll crash it and ruin it if I try to fly it.

I keep thinking that one of these days I'll try it but then I chicken out lol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I still have a brand new sitting in a box because I stink at flying the non stabilized versions lol.  Its a nice little helo but I know I'll crash it and ruin it if I try to fly it.

I keep thinking that one of these days I'll try it but then I chicken out lol.
View Quote

What kind you have?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a Blade MSRx AS3X RTF.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I purchased a second Blade 230s and am converting it into a Huey.  That kit should arrive one day this week.  Changed my other 230 to the white Hughs 300 after the white showed back in stock a week after getting the orange.  Still trying to get motivated enough to install the 3 blade main rotor setup on it as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Too funny.  I’m clearing out stuff I don’t use.   I bought a used Eflite Blade 400 3D years ago at a thriftshop.   Dx6i radio, 4 sets of blades and other new parts.  $60 as-is.  Today, I charged the battery.   The radio was set to Model Drone.  I changed it to the 400.  Damn if I didn’t get the heli off the ground!

I have very little time on a sim and some time on fixed (years ago).  Played with a mini heli indoors as well.  

For $60 all-in, I might take this 400 to the park and give it a go.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a XL Power V2 700, MA whiplash 700 gasser, and a SAB Goblin 500

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I received my Huey conversion kit for my second Blade 230s Smart today from Microheli.  It’s very very nice!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a couple Trex 450's that I used to fly all the time....then I found out that I can have more fun flying those cheap home built foam board planes.....and actually not be nervous as keep the entire time I'm flying them (like helis).

I got tired of crashing the heli once a month or two....and then having to spend hours and $$$ getting it repaired and all set up and dialed back in.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I received my Huey conversion kit for my second Blade 230s Smart today from Microheli.  It’s very very nice!https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/318573/59646F19-7095-4E5F-9922-9F8BBF0C52FF_jpe-2478177.JPG
View Quote

That is cool! One of my most favorite helos.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Just ordered a OMP M2 Evo. Can’t wait, been fly my other micros everyday. Now I need something bigger.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I finally finished my Blade 230s Smart to Hughes 300 conversion today by getting the 3 blade rotor installed.  Pain in the ass with no real instructions!  Now I can start on my other one that will become the Huey.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I finally finished my Blade 230s Smart to Hugged 300 conversion today by getting the 3 blade rotor installed.  Pain in the ass with no real instructions!  Now I can start on my other one that will become the Huey.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/318573/6B8141AA-3303-4BF9-A053-E12546C8560C_jpe-2511063.JPG
View Quote

Love it. I've considered getting the Blade 230 just so I can do the Huey conversion.

I've been flying my 150X a ton lately.

I've also been contemplating converting the 450L to a belt-driven tail.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Love it. I've considered getting the Blade 230 just so I can do the Huey conversion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I finally finished my Blade 230s Smart to Hugged 300 conversion today by getting the 3 blade rotor installed.  Pain in the ass with no real instructions!  Now I can start on my other one that will become the Huey.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/318573/6B8141AA-3303-4BF9-A053-E12546C8560C_jpe-2511063.JPG

Hugged?  Stupid ass phone!
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#42]
It works!!!!  A miracle given the lack of any decent instructions for installing the 3 blade main rotor.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Not flown yet but the Huey conversion  was completed yesterday after verifying the stock heli flew alright after performing the needed calibrations.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Making some slow progress. Trying to learn about all the electrics and software that go into these things. Very complex compared to 1/10 rc cars. Have a Futaba 10j on the way and a TL90 pitch gauge.

Right now reading up on these FBL systems. Here's the one I'm using currently.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I had kinda forgotten about this thread.  Been knee deep in kid stuff this summer.

I did pick up a Lite Machines Corona.  I learned to fly on a LMH110 and love the stupid things.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been flying the heck out of both of my Blade 230s Smart conversions.  These videos are of some of the first flights of each.  Flying fantasic now compared to these videos.
Blade 230S Smart Helicopter Huey MH 117 Conversion Maiden

Blade 230S Smart Helicopter Hughes 300 Conversion 2nd Battery
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#48]
@tnriverluver

That's some damn good flying for first time. Did you practice on a Sim before real flight? What kind of FBL systems do you use and how do you like them?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#49]
I have many, many hours with a Concept 30.

Great hobby, but I haven’t flown in 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@tnriverluver

That's some damn good flying for first time. Did you practice on a Sim before real flight? What kind of FBL systems do you use and how do you like them?
View Quote

This isn't my first time flying.  I've been struggling with helicopters for about a year on and off.  I'm mainly an advanced fixed wing pilot.  Roughly 5 years and a collection of currently 107 fixed wing aircraft of every kind imaginable in my fleet.  You can look at my YT channel and get an idea of what I have.  I do have RF8 simulator but rarely use it and never use it for helicopters.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top