Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2023 11:43:52 AM EDT
So I get a whining noise from the AC compressor from time to time when the AC is on.  I've tightened the belt and it goes away but  it starts to whine later. So too tight not tight enough?

If it's not the tension could it be the clutch?  Can I have the clutch fixed or just replace the compressor?

The AC works good, no problem cooling  its just the noise.

Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#1]
How many miles on the belt?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Put a bit of water or some belt dressing on the belt. If it quits, replace the belt, it's likely glazed. Spin the idlers and see if they spin freely and feel smooth.

Is it a Vee belt or a ribbed flat type?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Belt is 2 years old tops, v belt, idler pulley is new, 2 years same as belt.  Truck has 177k miles, I'm sure it's the original compressor but bought it used so I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Belt is 2 years old tops, v belt, idler pulley is new, 2 years same as belt.  Truck has 177k miles, I'm sure it's the original compressor but bought it used so I could be wrong.
View Quote

Wet the belt, if the noise changes, replace it. You may get away with a bit of belt dressing if it's glazed but it's a cheap belt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
If the belt is OK, replace the compressor.   If the compressor blows up, you will have to replace absolutely everything because the metal shreds will go everywhere.    

Happened to me about two weeks ago.
Top Top