Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like under this policy, any student or teacher with the last name of Winchester, Remington, and possibly even Smith (Smith & Wesson) would not even be allowed to attend or work at the school.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#2]
wow
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree this is BS.  Might I suggest you call the NRA as well as the local media.  Much as I dislike the media, maybe their presence and the fact that they will be reporting on this dumbass decision may make an impact upon the board's decision.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW Glock is/was also a big name in industry and sewing machines.

Good point.

Deawoo make guns, would their logo be a problem?

Was'nt Deawoo a car brand? It would be worthit to buy one used and park it their parking lot just to see the VP's reaction.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#5]
My daughter was sent home for having some fired .22 brass in her pocket.

I went to the principal's office and said "You've got to be kidding".

The principal rolled his eyes and said "I know, I know, but in this day and age my hands are tied."
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:36:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The principal rolled his eyes and said "I know, I know, but in this day and age my hands are tied."

Nice, gutless "just following orders" excuse.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
I agree this is BS.  Might I suggest you call the NRA as well as the local media.  Much as I dislike the media, maybe their presence and the fact that they will be reporting on this dumbass decision may make an impact upon the board's decision.

NOOOOOOO!! Please for all that is holy do not contact the NRA, we don't need or want them in GA!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOOOOOOO!! Please for all that is holy do not contact the NRA, we don't need or want them in GA!!

I gotta agree with CC on this one. They will just F$#k things up again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Lawyer up and give them the fight of their lives!
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How would you deal with this situation?

Homeschool.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:50:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Didnt Ford and GM build guns during WWII..
Those products should not be around children, for there own safety. All teachers with a ford or GM car should have their illegal property crushed today, with no form of refund.
Also the word springfield, and the numbers .22, .223, .32, .38, .40, .45, 5.56, 7.62, .50 .44  45-70, .450 etc and any math problem with the numbers involved.
Also, we need to remove 9 and 10mm from the rulers.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Is the pen shaped like a Glock?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is the pen shaped like a Glock?

No, pic was posted earlier. Not even a picture of a gun on the pen.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]
It seems school administraitors no longer "think" about how to best resolve a situation.  They now remind me of the same individuals who were responsible for the crimes imposed on men and women in the middle east.  If your not in stric compliance with the law, chop off a hand, or impose a beating of some type.  These administraitors ahve lile concern about how this will impact the individual child.  I beleive you should 1] deman an apology, written; 2] have your attorney present, 3] demand that any reference in your childs school record be expunged;, 4] perhaps demand that the principle go through some sensitivity training.  My wife  works in a school system, these types of administraitors are every where, and they are idiots.  Hope you are able to resolve the situation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:01:37 AM EDT
[#15]
is there any IBM computers at your kids school?

IBM Carbine

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Homeschool.

Got to agree.  My husband and I plan on homeschooling when the kids get to that age.  Marksmanship will be part of the curriculum.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#17]
TAG
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#18]
This truly saddens me.  I am so thankful that we decided to homeschool from the beginning. This is clearly an example of a school admin. with no discernment.  My children not only are allowed to have firearms on the premises, but my 3 year old often runs around with an empty electric airsoft gun, targeting his brother and sisters while they school.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This truly saddens me.  I am so thankful that we decided to homeschool from the beginning. This is clearly an example of a school admin. with no discernment.  My children not only are allowed to have firearms on the premises, but my 3 year old often runs around with an empty electric airsoft gun, targeting his brother and sisters while they school.

Evilness!!!!!!  

Good choice to home school.

CMOS  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#20]
This isn't representative of all school systems in GA or in the US, by the way.  While homeschooling is an option, I'd just move him to another school.  People do that all the time.  My wife is a 1st grade teacher, and she gets kids transferred in from other schools that didn't move to the district all the time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:35:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice, gutless "just following orders" excuse.

That is what they said at Nuremburg.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I would attend the meeting with a lawyer. After the meeting with the VP I would go to the press and maybe a fire mission could get your local paper to run with the story.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#23]
The local media will probably side with the school adminstrators.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
is there any IBM computers at your kids school?

IBM Carbine

Singer and International Harvester too.  I think Singer made Cannons too.....and of course sewed all those uniforms (the horror).
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, the verdict is in...

I arrived at the superintendant's office at about 8:45am. He was already in his office and readily met with my Uncle Bill (my attorney), my son, and myself. He seemed to be rather nice and agreed that the suspension was uncalled for because the pen was not a physical or graphic representation of a weapon. He admitted that it was a bad judgment call on the VPs part which should have been thought over a little more; especialy since my son does not have a disiplinary record. He apologized for the problem and told us that my son could return to school and that the disiplinary would be removed.

I took my son to school and met with the VP. This guy is about 30 years old and looks like a poster child for gay bathhouses. He did apologize lightly, but did not seem overly happy about it. Apparently the superintendant called him about 5am this morning and told him to 'make it right'. Our meeting very short. The VP ran off and left us with a receptionist. She apologized; returned the pen and gave us the disiplinary that removed from his record. I made sure by looking in his record folder while in the office that it was gone. I have all three copies of it now (white, yellow, and pink) - so there is not another copy of it in existance.

I returned the Glock pen to my son to use until it dies. At which point the pen becomes inoperable, I will be giving him another Glock pen. As far as I am concerned, he can use Glock pens forever...

Uncle Bill (my attorney) is weighing the options, but he believes since the disiplinary was removed, the pen returned, and an apology given that a lawsuit against the school system would probably be tossed out. He's checking on some things this afternoon to see just how a suit in this situation might could be successful.

As petty as this might seem, I am happy that the pen was returned, an apology was offered, and the disiplinary action was overturned. I did not feel like putting my family on display in front of the media and turing my life into a freak show. I got the outcome I wanted, as did my son.

Thank you all for your support and advice in this matter! Arfcommers are truly great Americans.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The VP was probably worried that the pen would Kaboom!

I snort-laughed when I read this!

Seriously, the situation is a crock of shit. Fight it, and consider getting your kid out of public school if possible.

Good luck. Its sure full of Bullshit emotional decision making that it is making me get pissed off...
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like the issue is settled. Good work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I returned the Glock pen to my son to use until it dies. At which point the pen becomes inoperable, I will be giving him another Glock pen. As far as I am concerned, he can use Glock pens forever...

Dude, get a ton of those pens and give them out to his fellow students.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

At the private school my son went to several rounds fell out of his pocket on the floor in front of the principal.  

She said to him, shooting with your dad last weekend?  He said yes and she said put them in the truck and get back to class.  NO phone call, letter or anything.  Son told me when he got home.

Never another word.  

Son carried a SOG folder to school every day for the 4 years in Highschool.  I told the principal he carries it , she was to with it and never a word said to him in four years.  Teachers asked to use it all the time to open stuff.

Now if he used it as a weapon....he'd be gone from that school
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Glad to here everything worked out.

Maybe buy a case of Glock pens and donate them to the kids in the school
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad to hear the result, sad for America (especially in GA) that this was EVER an issue.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm glad things came to a quick end..

however, this vp needs to be taught a lesson

any pain and suffering experienced?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I arrived at the superintendant's office at about 8:45am. He was already in his office and readily met with my Uncle Bill (my attorney), my son, and myself. He seemed to be rather nice and agreed that the suspension was uncalled for because the pen was not a physical or graphic representation of a weapon. He admitted that it was a bad judgment call on the VPs part which should have been thought over a little more; especialy since my son does not have a disiplinary record. He apologized for the problem and told us that my son could return to school and that the disiplinary would be removed.

I took my son to school and met with the VP. This guy is about 30 years old and looks like a poster child for gay bathhouses. He did apologize lightly, but did not seem overly happy about it. Apparently the superintendant called him about 5am this morning and told him to 'make it right'. Our meeting very short. The VP ran off and left us with a receptionist. She apologized; returned the pen and gave us the disiplinary that removed from his record. I made sure by looking in his record folder while in the office that it was gone. I have all three copies of it now (white, yellow, and pink) - so there is not another copy of it in existance.

Uncle Bill (my attorney) is weighing the options, but he believes since the disiplinary was removed, the pen returned, and an apology given that a lawsuit against the school system would probably be tossed out. He's checking on some things this afternoon to see just how a suit in this situation might could be successful.

As petty as this might seem, I am happy that the pen was returned, an apology was offered, and the disiplinary action was overturned. I did not feel like putting my family on display in front of the media and turing my life into a freak show. I got the outcome I wanted, as did my son.

Thank you all for your support and advice in this matter! Arfcommers are truly great Americans.

Congrats
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Are you serious?
Should he call the Brady campaign?
How about "Handgun Control Inc"???

The NRA is the reason we have not lost the Second Amendment in this Country.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Glad to hear it worked out. I agree with your uncle that there's no merit for a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like common sense prevailed.

Good job!  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gotta agree with CC on this one. They will just F$#k things up again.

A couple of real brain trusts here.........

CounterContagion
jmarkma

Wow! You don't have to support the good guys if you don't want to, we will still support your rights.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Glad to see that the matter is settled.  I would send a letter to Glock.  Who knows, maybe they will hook your son up with Glock gear for life.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Glad you made them realize their mistake.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Here is the scoop:

My son was home Thursday evening doing his homework when his ink pen died. He asked if I had one he could have. I reached into the pen holder on my desk and grabbed a pen and gave it to him. He continued his homework as usual. The night passed normally, everyone goes to bed, and Friday rolls around.

So, my phone rings Friday afternoon. It's the vice principal from my son's school saying that he needs to discuss a serious situation about my son. When I asked him what was going on, he tells me that a pen bearing a Glock logo is forbidden by school policy and that I need to come and pick up my son because there is a manditory 3 day suspension because of the violation. Apparently, one of my son's teachers saw him writing with the pen during an assignment.

While I have the VP on the telephone, I retrieve my son's student handbook. Flipping though it, I see that weapons, replica weapons, pictures of weapons, and weapon images on keychains or other items are forbidden. The pen I had given him was one I picked up at a law enforcement firearms competition last year - which bore only the Glock logo, but not an image or rendition of a firearm. Nowhere does it say that a firearm company logo is restricted by school policy. I explain this to the VP.

So, the VP gets his handbook and looks through it. He was in agreement that the pen did not directly violate the policy, but that the Glock name was commonly known to be a firearm and therefore it technically was in violation. Then, the VP even makes a statement to the fact that I am a local LEO and I should know the proper application of the rules.

I found this to be the most hilarious interpetation of school law yet. I engaged in an argument for a short time about the suspension and how the pen did not violate the posted rules as understood by anyone reading it. The VP would not budge on his position and referred me to the school system's superintendant's office.

So, my son is at home and I have an appointment at the school superintendant's office tomorrow. I will try to be diplomatic, but this situation is clearly not covered by the rules by the VP's own admission. Maybe I am wrong here, but this just seems very unfair and exceptionally liberal.

sue the mother living fuck out of them. this type of BS has gone on long enough and too far. make the retards fear righteous retribution or they will fear nothing at all.

how'd I do?

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Here is the scoop:

My son was home Thursday evening doing his homework when his ink pen died. He asked if I had one he could have. I reached into the pen holder on my desk and grabbed a pen and gave it to him. He continued his homework as usual. The night passed normally, everyone goes to bed, and Friday rolls around.

So, my phone rings Friday afternoon. It's the vice principal from my son's school saying that he needs to discuss a serious situation about my son. When I asked him what was going on, he tells me that a pen bearing a Glock logo is forbidden by school policy and that I need to come and pick up my son because there is a manditory 3 day suspension because of the violation. Apparently, one of my son's teachers saw him writing with the pen during an assignment.

While I have the VP on the telephone, I retrieve my son's student handbook. Flipping though it, I see that weapons, replica weapons, pictures of weapons, and weapon images on keychains or other items are forbidden. The pen I had given him was one I picked up at a law enforcement firearms competition last year - which bore only the Glock logo, but not an image or rendition of a firearm. Nowhere does it say that a firearm company logo is restricted by school policy. I explain this to the VP.

So, the VP gets his handbook and looks through it. He was in agreement that the pen did not directly violate the policy, but that the Glock name was commonly known to be a firearm and therefore it technically was in violation. Then, the VP even makes a statement to the fact that I am a local LEO and I should know the proper application of the rules.

I found this to be the most hilarious interpetation of school law yet. I engaged in an argument for a short time about the suspension and how the pen did not violate the posted rules as understood by anyone reading it. The VP would not budge on his position and referred me to the school system's superintendant's office.

So, my son is at home and I have an appointment at the school superintendant's office tomorrow. I will try to be diplomatic, but this situation is clearly not covered by the rules by the VP's own admission. Maybe I am wrong here, but this just seems very unfair and exceptionally liberal.

Ask the guy if his intention is to teach the children to be afraid of 'words' now. If he says,'no', then he's either a liar or he's stupid. The example he's setting in this situation is doing exactly that.

Ban words, it's for the children.

In fact, go have a T shirt printed up with that phrase on it, and have your son wear to school. Have a few more made up and hand them out to his friends. Oh, that would be so very classic!
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Glad to hear it worked out well.   Good thinking to look in the file to make sure they didn't pull any funny business.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#45]
pass this along to Glock and see what cool stuff you can get
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Sounds like it worked out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Here is the scoop:

This is a good outcome.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
pass this along to Glock and see what cool stuff you can get

They might send him the top secret carbine I've been hearing about for several years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Met all your goals and most importantly your son was cleared.  I think if anything this VP learned a lesson and that is while there is a policy it must be interpreted correctly and not based off of fear and or feelings.  Hopefully he will not make the same mistake again.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#50]
You won. I wouldn't pursue it any further.

They have no idea of the bullet they dodged.

Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top