Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 1:55:25 PM EDT
Just kidding. I did experience a funky reloading thing though.

I am both a poor and a slave to trends. I bought a Savage Axis II in 6.5 Creedmoor. Everything you've heard about the Savage is true. It cost about $400. The factory plastic stock is made of plastic and the fore end is weak and wobbly. It can only shoot less than 1 MOA with ammunition that the gun likes if the shooter does his job. And don't forget that the bullets are too skinny. All in all, real rifle shooters should mock anyone who owns this rifle or shoots this cartridge.

Now back my story. I decided to reload after I put a few hundred factory rounds from various factories and of various bullet weights through the barrel. It seems to like 123 and 140 grain bullets. It does not like 95 grain bullets. Saved my brass, cleaned it up, bought some Lee dies (more evidence of my poorness), did the thing and made new ammunition using the minimum load of powder listed at the powder maker's load manual website. All good so far. Took it to the range and the stuff went bang. Accuracy was mediocre so the load ain't right yet and I didn't do my job well enough. Both can be fixed with time and effort. So far so good. Since I'm new to reloading rifle rounds, I checked each cartridge for signs of wrongness as I fired them. All good except for one. I'll be damned if one didn't look like someone poked a little bitty hole in the edge of the primer. All the rest looked good.

So the question for Arfcom is: Aside from being a poor and having terrible taste in guns and ammo, how close did I come to dying?
Attachment Attached File

More seriously, am I looking at a primer manufacturing fault or something else?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Great story but why the stupid click bait headline?  Don’t we have enough clickbait bullshit around here?

eta:  I'm an asshole on most days but also having a bad day, sorry to take it out on you OP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great story but why the stupid click bait headline?  Don’t we have enough clickbait bullshit around here?
View Quote

Nope, not nearly enough.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Huh, doubletap.

Must be late for my meds again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Winchester Primer ??
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
What primers did you use in that? There are currently a few threads in the Reloading subforum where guys are talking about recently manufactured Winchester 41 small rifle primers blowing out just like yours did.

Primer problem!

WARNING! Defective Winchester #41 primers on the shelves.

ETA: Check your bolt face and your firing pin. If it scorched a line in the bolt face or gas cut your firing pin you might want to get them replaced.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
That’s an odd failure.  It could have just been a bad piece of brass.

When you’re reloading the next batch, give that brand a good inspection before priming and loading.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Answers in reverse order:

2. No we don't. There's always room for clickbait.
1. Because it was funny  to me.

Thanks for the compliment.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

eta:  I'm an asshole on most days but also having a bad day, sorry to take it out on you OP.
View Quote

Dude! No worries. I only cried a little bit because of your meanness. I hope your asshole self has a better day:)
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, what is the load data?

You blew a primer. The primer also is starting to flatten. You may be at max pressure.

Or you may have shitty primers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because many, if not most, members here are apparently unable to compose a thread title or simple declarative sentence without resorting to some attention whoring rhetorical device or stratagem.

In my early days here, I was as susceptible as any - I once authored a thread titled, “Look At My Beaver” that opened to a picture of a guy holding a baby beaver.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Winchester Primer ??
View Quote

We got us a freaking reloading Rainman here!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What primers did you use in that? There are currently a few threads in the Reloading subforum where guys are talking about recently manufactured Winchester 41 small rifle primers blowing out just like yours did.

Primer problem!

ETA: Check your bolt face and your firing pin. If it scorched a line in the bolt face or gas cut your firing pin you might want to get them replaced.
View Quote

May any interested gods piss all over Winchester!

The interwebs say that bolt heads run from $29 (stripped) to $90 (super special). Looks like I'll be getting friendly with my local gun smith.

So I know, how likely is this now torch cut bolt head to kill me if I cheap out and keep shooting it?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Never, EVER, use that color to highlight text again

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great story but why the stupid click bait headline?  Don't we have enough clickbait bullshit around here?

Dude! No worries. I only cried a little bit because of your meanness. I hope your asshole self has a better day:)

It does suck doesn't it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You blew a primer. The primer also is starting to flatten. You may be at max pressure.

View Quote

Winchester standard load large rifle primer
36 grains of Hogden 5320 (Edit for fat fingers) H4350
140gr Hornady Match BTHP
2.82 overall length
light taper crimp

Hogden says this is the starting load. Max is 40grains of powder
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great story but why the stupid click bait headline?  Don't we have enough clickbait bullshit around here?

Reading that made me feel like I just took a hit from a flashlight.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because many, if not most, members here are apparently unable to compose a thread title or simple declarative sentence without resorting to some attention whoring rhetorical device or stratagem.

In my early days here, I was as susceptible as any - I once authored a thread titled, “Look At My Beaver” that opened to a picture of a guy holding a baby beaver.
View Quote

I could very easily have written, "Primer problem, Advice reqeusted"

But where's the fun in that?

Edit: I'm leaving the misspelling of reqeusted un edited because it amuses me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The interwebs say that bolt heads run from $29 (stripped) to $90 (super special). Looks like I'll be getting friendly with my local gun smith.

So I know, how likely is this now torch cut bolt head to kill me if I cheap out and keep shooting it?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/158069/primer_box_lot_no_DGL747G_jpg-3185889.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/158069/bolt_face_jpg-3185890.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primer problem!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/158069/primer_box_lot_no_DGL747G_jpg-3185889.JPG

I doubt one primer letting go and cutting some of the bolt face is going to cause it to grenade next time, but I'd get a new one, along with a firing pin if a detailed inspection under magnification indicates there might be ANY issues, and then have Winchester pay for the replacement costs, should you/they determine the primers were at fault.

Checkout those two threads and add your info. Seems others are at least getting Winchester to take the primers back and some have been reimbursed for damaged firearm parts in the past.

ETA: just saw you're using LR primers. The other threads are talking about small rifle. Could still be indicative of a larger issue at Winchester's facilities though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like you got some of the bad winchester primers. Hopefully your rifle isn't damaged.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Winchester Lrp? Known issue and now going on with their srp fuck Winchester and their shitty primers even if not

ETA   I knew it   yup Winchester bullshit primers my scar 17 and Bergara 243 and my Christensen arms mpr 308  have bolts with chewed faces now and Winchester blew me off big time
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

36 grains of Hogden 5320
140gr Hornady Match BTHP
2.82 overall length
light taper crimp

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

36 grains of Hogden 5320
140gr Hornady Match BTHP
2.82 overall length
light taper crimp

You sure about that powder?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Possible you put the cheese for 123's under a 140?

That would probably do it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Hodgdon does not make an H5320 or 5320 powder.

Either you mean H4350 or you don’t know what powder you are using. IF you are using H4350 then 36 grains is a good starting load.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
JB Weld
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#25]
But did you died?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

36 grains of Hogden 5320
140gr Hornady Match BTHP
2.82 overall length
light taper crimp

H4320 H4350 potatoe potatoh

Actually, thanks for pointing out my fat fingered error. It's H4350.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Scared me. I thought I would read that you had Alec Baldwin over, helping you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Either you mean H4350 or you don’t know what powder you are using. IF you are using H4350 then 36 grains is a good starting load.

View Quote

You are correct. As is the bottle of powder that I'm looking at right now. H4350
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
JB Weld
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JB Weld

Now that's the GD answer I was looking for
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
But did you died?
View Quote

Not yet but the day is young
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Scared me. I thought I would read that you had Alec Baldwin over, helping you.
View Quote

I have him stand in front and hold the muzzle steady
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Reading that made me feel like I just took a hit from a flashlight.
View Quote

What did it sound like?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You are correct. As is the bottle of powder that I'm looking at right now. H4350
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa whoa, hol' up.

You shootin' H4350 outta da Savage Axis? Man das shit's GOLE, yo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Whoa whoa, hol' up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa whoa, hol' up.

Like poors everywhere, my problem is that I misalocate my assets. Here I am wasting H3450 that is much too good for my station. What I should be doing is grinding up strike anywhere match heads.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#35]
It's a known bad lot.
Here is a post from 24hrcampfire with a list of bad Winchester primer lot numbers.

Originally Posted by fremont
This post definitely got my attention, because 80% of the primers on my shelf are Winchester.

1. Is there a definitive list of defective lots? I cannot find anything on the Win site.

2. Are people just sending back primers regardless of Lot # and getting refunds?

Here is a partial list at least that I found from several different posts on here, not sure how accurate it is but it's something to go on:
Here's the list. Thanks to whoever provided it.

CAL401G
CFL486G
CLL555G
DAL594G
DFL717G
DHL766G
DNL 837G
DNL836G
EAL234G
GDL 225G
GEL 250G
DML834G WLR
EAL234G WLRM

Okay, here's what I've got.

Once again, these lot numbers are simply ones that have been reported as problematic by internet posters. I have no way of knowing if the information is correct, or that other lots not listed are okay. It's your responsibility to contact Winchester for specific information.

LOTS REPORTED BY USERS ONLINE:

CAL401G
CFL486G
CLL555G
DAL594G
DFL717G
DHL766G
DNL 837G
DNL836G
EAL234G
GDL 225G
GEL 250G
DML834G WLR
EAL234G WLRM
CLL555G
CCL435G
EHL067G
DHL774G
DHL788G
DAL594G
CAL401G
GDL255G
GFL284G
DGL741G
FEL255G
DGL731G
DKL801G
HLL692G
DHL765G
DFL713G
DLL826G
DFL723G
DEL690G
CLL552G
DGL747G
CGL499G
HKL687G
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's a known bad lot.
Here is a post from 24hrcampfire with a list of bad Winchester primer lot numbers.

This post definitely got my attention, because 80% of the primers on my shelf are Winchester.

1. Is there a definitive list of defective lots? I cannot find anything on the Win site.

2. Are people just sending back primers regardless of Lot # and getting refunds?

Here is a partial list at least that I found from several different posts on here, not sure how accurate it is but it's something to go on:

CAL401G
CFL486G
CLL555G
DAL594G
DFL717G
DHL766G
DNL 837G
DNL836G
EAL234G
GDL 225G
GEL 250G
DML834G WLR
EAL234G WLRM

Once again, these lot numbers are simply ones that have been reported as problematic by internet posters. I have no way of knowing if the information is correct, or that other lots not listed are okay. It's your responsibility to contact Winchester for specific information.

CAL401G
CFL486G
CLL555G
DAL594G
DFL717G
DHL766G
DNL 837G
DNL836G
EAL234G
GDL 225G
GEL 250G
DML834G WLR
EAL234G WLRM
CLL555G
CCL435G
EHL067G
DHL774G
DHL788G
DAL594G
CAL401G
GDL255G
GFL284G
DGL741G
FEL255G
DGL731G
DKL801G
HLL692G
DHL765G
DFL713G
DLL826G
DFL723G
DEL690G
CLL552G
DGL747G
CGL499G
HKL687G
View Quote

Thanks for posting that list.  

OP- how old are those primers?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#37]
OP, I did that years ago with Winchester primers in my brand new Badger Ordnance action. It’s been through several barrels since then still going strong, it just looks bad. Just keep shooting it!
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a known bad lot.

CAL401G
CFL486G
CLL555G
DAL594G
DFL717G
DHL766G
DNL 837G
DNL836G
EAL234G
GDL 225G
GEL 250G
DML834G WLR
EAL234G WLRM

CAL401G
CFL486G
CLL555G
DAL594G
DFL717G
DHL766G
DNL 837G
DNL836G
EAL234G
GDL 225G
GEL 250G
DML834G WLR
EAL234G WLRM
CLL555G
CCL435G
EHL067G
DHL774G
DHL788G
DAL594G
CAL401G
GDL255G
GFL284G
DGL741G
FEL255G
DGL731G
DKL801G
HLL692G
DHL765G
DFL713G
DLL826G
DFL723G
DEL690G
CLL552G
DGL747G
CGL499G
HKL687G

I bought them a few months ago at some super sporting goods store in AZ.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP, I did that years ago with Winchester primers in my brand new Badger Ordnance action. It’s been through several barrels since then still going strong, it just looks bad. Just keep shooting it!
View Quote

Cool. Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winchester Primer ??

Attachment Attached File

Winchester Primers.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

This,  the flat primer  looks like a hot load. Take a few grains out load 3 then take a few more out and  load 3  a few times I bet groups tighten too .  Don't go under min load  but go up to it see what groups do
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This,  the flat primer  looks like a hot load. Take a few grains out load 3 then take a few more out and  load 3  a few times I bet groups tighten too .  Don't go under min load  but go up to it see what groups do
View Quote

Primer don’t typically blow out the corner of the cup unless they are defective. Flattening can be from low pressure also coupled with having head clearance. Winchester had known problems mid 2000’s that caused this and are now are having the same problem again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#43]
That's not even a mild load and that primer isn't flat at all, still has a valley all the way around it and no cratering, a flat primer is flat all the way across and doesn't have a dip all the way around it, it will literally flatten and fill the area around the primer so it's Hella flush.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

36 grains of Hogden 5320 (Edit for fat fingers) H4350
140gr Hornady Match BTHP
2.82 overall length
light taper crimp

View Quote

That's a very mild load in 6.5

40 grain max seems low, ive been loading 42 grains of h4350 behind a 143 eldX for years and it shoots same poi as hornady precission hunter.

I did experiment with light bullets and varget for a while and gave up because I had pressure signs and horrible brass life. (Self ejecting primers on the 3rd reloading)
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's a very mild load in 6.5

40 grain max seems low, ive been loading 42 grains of h4350 behind a 143 eldX for years and it shoots same poi as hornady precission hunter.

I did experiment with light bullets and varget for a while and gave up because I had pressure signs and horrible brass life. (Self ejecting primers on the 3rd reloading)
View Quote

Just did some checking, hornady lists 41.5 as max.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Great story but why the stupid click bait headline?  Don't we have enough clickbait bullshit around here?

Yeah, what he said!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top