Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/2/2023 12:10:02 PM EDT
I’m thinking about pulling my entire retirement funds into a money market account until after the election cycle. My gut is saying it’s time…

Discuss. Again.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I’m thinking about pulling my entire retirement funds into a money market account until after the election cycle. My gut is saying it’s time…

Discuss. Again.
View Quote

Absolutely not. Trying to time the market will get you effed. I'm fairly sure my portfolio gained like 8% in November ( I could be wrong on that) which is more gains than all year.

If you are getting close to retirement then rolling a portion of your account into mmf/cds/high yield savings, bonds, gold, real estate, tools, etc. may be appropriate.

However, nationwide has an interesting program. You pick a program they offer on various enrollment dates. Top and bottom is capped, ie if stock market gains 15% you will get a max of 8%, if the stock market drops 15% you will lose 0. For those close to retirement it seems ideal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull money out when everything is on sale? You do you, I’m buying.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
i thought it was a thread about you switching teams or getting gender reassignment surgrey
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Absolutely not. Trying to time the market will get you effed. I'm fairly sure my portfolio gained like 8% in November ( I could be wrong on that) which is more gains than all year.

If you are getting close to retirement then rolling a portion of your account into mmf/cds/high yield savings, bonds, gold, real estate, tools, etc. may be appropriate.

However, nationwide has an interesting program. You pick a program they offer on various enrollment dates. Top and bottom is capped, ie if stock market gains 15% you will get a max of 8%, if the stock market drops 15% you will lose 0. For those close to retirement it seems ideal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss. Again.

Not close. 15yrs out. Just seen what a dip I had in Covid and how much I could have made had I timed that dip correctly. You’re probably right. Not a smart move. But if I nailed the next shit show, I’d make a shit load. I know what the flip side is.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you think it’s on sale now….
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I am doing the same. History tells us that when they start to lower interest rates a big market correction happens.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i thought it was a thread about you switching teams or getting gender reassignment surgrey
View Quote

You’ve spent too much time in GD. Go outside.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not close. 15yrs out. Just seen what a dip I had in Covid and how much I could have made had I timed that dip correctly. You’re probably right. Not a smart move. But if I nailed the next shit show, I’d make a shit load. I know what the flip side is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss. Again.

15 yrs out is plenty of time, you should still be contributing money into equities
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Discuss. Again.
View Quote

Classic mistake of future poor people or relatively poor people.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You've spent too much time in GD. Go outside.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you're asking for sound financial advice in GD. Go outside.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

15 yrs out you should still be socking away money into equities
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss. Again.

I am. I’ve put away over $50k this year alone. I’m just nervous.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Touché
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I guarantee the market will crash and you will be correct.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But if I nailed the next shit show, I’d make a shit load.
View Quote
If you can time the market, you need to head on up to Wall Street. You'll be able to retire within a year with more $$ than you ever imagined.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss. Again.

If it goes down, you continue buying equities. You get more shares for your money.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If it goes down, you continue buying equities. You get more shares for your money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss. Again.

Yes, I understand that. I’ve never “not bought” even in bad times. I’m interested in protecting the value that’s already there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#22]
The Edward Jones forum members will be here shortly. They will tell you paper stock certificates are the most valuable assets on earth.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want to try to play it, pull some - 10% or whatever you are comfortable with to put in a MM account. Then wait for the drop. If it doesn't happen you are still getting some interest on it. I would not pull it all out. History proves that is foolish in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes, I understand that. I’ve never “not bought” even in bad times. I’m interested in protecting the value that’s already there.
View Quote

I hear stuffing cash in mattresses is safe.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually the NASDAQ and s&p is near record highs again.

I'm not sure it's on sale anymore.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#26]
If the money market puts its funds into bonds (Treasuries and otherwise) or investment with high returns, you also get high risk.

I'd look for something with no counter-party risk and no chance of rehypothecation.  Remember MF Global and PFG Best?  Remember the bankruptcy court (NY) decision in favor of J. P. Morgan in seizing the hypothecating the assets of a failing bank as its own.  It was upheld b/c the law felt the stability of the market over the rights of the individual investors. You are merely an intended beneficiary of any paper wealth (including the deposits in your banking or checking accounts).
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#27]
The market took off in Trumps first few days last time. Would be a shame to miss out if that happened again.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's not a program, that's an index annuity, and an 8% cap is fucking robbery
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If the money market puts its funds into bonds (Treasuries and otherwise) or investment with high returns, you also get high risk.

I'd look for something with no counter-party risk and no chance of rehypothecation.  Remember MF Global and PFG Best?  Remember the bankruptcy court (NY) decision in favor of J. P. Morgan in seizing the hypothecating the assets of a failing bank as its own.  It was upheld b/c the law felt the stability of the market over the rights of the individual investors. You are merely an intended beneficiary of any paper wealth (including the deposits in your banking or checking accounts).
View Quote

This idea has pushed me towards using a portion of my retirement allocation to purchase recreational/farm land with a note.

Ideally it will hold value, and I can also get the enjoyment of using it v 1/0's on a screen.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Finger fucking is how you make big losses.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss. Again.

Go to bogleheads, do some reading and write down your investment plan and asset allocation . It doesn't sound like you have one.

If you established your asset allocation of 50%equities and 50% bonds, and your investment plan says to sell equities and buy bonds when the allocation becomes imbalanced by 5% , then sure you would sell some of it by now to maintain a 50/50 split.

You don't buy and sell based on spur of the moment feelings
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

For someone months to a year out from retirement it doesn't seem so bad...
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I get it, OP.  I went to cash in Dec 2019 and that worked out well.  (The money went back in over time.)  You do you.   "Missing" the top or bottom of a market in exchange for lowered risk if things are feeling skeezy is reasonable.

There's a long continuum of actions between buying naked puts on AAPL and filling pillowcases with cash.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Good way to lose money
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

No offense man, but you are the one nonsensically trying to time the market with the whole of your retirement accounts.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not disagreeing, I'm saying an 8% cap is non competitive. Better rated carriers currently have 10.5-13% caps. Including 3%+ minimum guaranteed rates on the 0% years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn't.  There's no way to predict the market and more often than not it will continue on the up and you'll miss out on the gains while sitting on the sidelines.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#38]
All you that think u are buying at bottom are wrong unless there is a republican revolution this aint the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Discuss. Again.
View Quote

If this is NOT a parody thread, my advice is to first look at what penalties you may face depending on the type of investment account and what kind of capital gains tax you may be exposed to. Then you will be hoping the prime rate remains high (no guarantee) and that you somehow time the market to get back in at or below your sell price.

Honestly, if you take all that into consideration, I doubt you will find you can do it without losing money, probably a lot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm not disagreeing, I'm saying an 8% cap is non competitive. Better rated carriers currently have 10.5-13% caps. Including 3%+ minimum guaranteed rates on the 0% years.
View Quote

Yeah, don't disagree. But in Nationwide 401s/457s/403b's I doubt folks have access to that.

How do the companies profit on that/make these possible?
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Election years are usually good for the market.

It’s your money do as you wish, I do think it’s a bad idea
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Land was mentioned and land should be income producing.  I would shy away from rental properties b/c deadbeat tenants will pay for food before the rent.

I'd rather have farmland or ranch land that is producing food b/c food never falls out of fashion.

Empty lots do nothing but eat up resources via taxes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The Edward Jones forum members will be here shortly. They will tell you paper stock certificates are the most valuable assets on earth.
View Quote

Oh look, it's the guy who used to brag about shorting everything and is never around to follow-up on his genius foresight.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, don't disagree. But in Nationwide 401s/457s/403b's I doubt folks have access to that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be rolled once you retire, and sometimes in service rollovers are available.

They profit because statistics. The market is positive on an annual basis 74% of the time (1950-today). On an annual basis you generally only see a negative return for a single calendar year. In the aforementioned time period there has only been a single instance of 3 or 2 consecutive negative annual returns. When the market it up, is tends to be up big. The insurance company invests with long trail assets and a long time horizon, and get to keep 20% in a 30% year. They eat the volitility people can't handle and still make out big.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Land was mentioned and land should be income producing.  I would shy away from rental properties b/c deadbeat tenants will pay for food before the rent.

I'd rather have farmland or ranch land that is producing food b/c food never falls out of fashion.

View Quote
You should research farming during the Great Depression. The government restricted farms from producing "too much". But then, unlike now, they didn't have drones and JDAMs to enforce crop restrictions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#47]
The market has already 'bought' Joe Biden.

Anybody will be better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Although I agree the average investor should not pull his/her money out of the market, I disagree 100% with your post.
Rental ROI whether it be residential or commercial, have historically been very profitable and there are ways to insure reliable tenancy for years. A good portion of my income to include retirement has come from real estate investment.
In 2008 I pulled all of our money out of retirement and took a leap of faith into Real Estate and haven't looked back. Sure, I have a bit of money in the stock market with USAA and control my own investments in individual securities and it has done well over the years.
In Idaho and many states productive farm ground is monetarily out of reach for most unless you are a larger farm looking to add to your crop production, need waste management property or looking to expand for the future. Here, a very small 40 acre farm with a 3 bed/2 bath home on solid set and wheel lines is north of 1milion. You couldn't scratch a living out of the farm if it were half the cost much less lease it out to be income producing. We are 25-30k and acre with water on bare farm land so you're incorrect.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Good luck, OP.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The market has already 'bought' Joe Biden.

Anybody will be better.
View Quote

That may make more sense than anything in this thread. Haven’t looked at it that way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top