Site Notices
11/2/2022 4:30:06 PM
National railroad strike (Page 1 of 26)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 26
Posted: 7/14/2022 11:14:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: Boomer]
Potential National Freight Rail Strike Looms

The United States is now on the cusp of a potential freight railroad strike that could hamper an already struggling supply chain. For the past two years, 12 rail unions have been negotiating with major freight railroads to agree to a new national labor contract. The union has demanded a 47 percent wage increase over five years and safer working conditions for the benefit of both workers and bystanders.

The National Mediation Board (NMB), the independent government agency tasked with meditating airline and railroad industry labor-management disputes, decided to release both sides from mediation in mid-June. This motion began a 30-day cool-down period where unions would be legally allowed to strike at its conclusion if no federal action is taken. The cool-down period ends on July 18th.

Late yesterday, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET) voted to authorize a strike after the deadline if it’s deemed necessary to secure a contract. A majority — 99.5 percent — of BLET members voted in favor of the strike authorization. BLET President Dennis R. Pierce heads a ten-union coalition in the contract negotiations. Of the 115,000 workers impacted by negotiations, 23,000 are BLET members.

Before the release from mediation, the unions called for the NMB to recommend the appointment of a Presidential Emergency Board (PEB), a binding third-party arbitration body. Now, President Joe Biden faces a decision to either appoint a PEB or let negotiations continue down its current course towards a potential national strike. Even a partial work stoppage could greatly impact the availability and pricing of goods transported by rail.
View Quote

In before all the small government conservatives demand that bigfedgov and President Biden step in and save them.

UPDATE: 7/18 - Crisis averted! President Biden saves us for 60 days! Thank you Joe Biden! Or whoever is programming your teleprompter!

Executive Order on Establishing an Emergency Board

UPDATE 2: 8/17 - PEB releases recommendation. Strike clock reset to 30 days from now.

UPDATE 3: 9/11 - 2 biggest unions still have no tentative agreement. Crisis back on! Possible strike on 9/16

UPDATE 4 9/15 - Railroads and remaining union holdouts reach 11th hour tentative agreements. Strike process stopped pending ratification votes.

UPDATE 5 10/20 - 6 of the 12 unions in the bargaining coalition having ratified the agreement. 1 has rejected it. Remaining unions to have ratification votes completed by 11/17. However, if even just one union rejects it, they all strike or the carriers lock everyone out. Potential strike date reset to 11/19.
missing
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:07:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: Oakley] [#1]
I would really REALLY like to see how the contract language reads in regards to time off, work schedule and vacation times.

Hopefully you guys get the type of schedule allowing a more normal life outside of work.

ETA: I'm in a different industry with similar work life balance arguments and issues.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:27:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: K5FAL] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boomer:

You missed the part about drinking and doing lines again?
View Quote

I guess so.  Also the stories of shooting game out the window.  I heard lots of stories about that from the old heads when I worked in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:29:01 AM EST
[#3]
I wish we still had torpedos.  That practical jokes had to be epic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:37:40 AM EST
[#4]
Signal got nothing beyond the PEB.   At least we helped you guys a little.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:38:30 AM EST
[#5]
Originally Posted By K5FAL:
I wish we still had torpedos.  That practical jokes had to be epic.
View Quote

Oh boy were those fun!
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:40:31 AM EST
[#6]
Originally Posted By Corran_q:
View Quote

#1  Thank you
#2  Do you not benefit from the medical costs staying as is as opposed to the PEB recommended increase?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:06:40 AM EST
[#7]
Originally Posted By juan223:

#1  Thank you
#2  Do you not benefit from the medical costs staying as is as opposed to the PEB recommended increase?
View Quote

Maybe I read something wrong but the peb recommended 15%.  Email I received from the union says 15%.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:30:52 AM EST
[#8]
It’s interesting to see the differences between the union and company statements.

Company: The tentative agreement follows the recommendations of PEB 250. The end.

Union: Health and Welfare Plan point-of-service costs will remain unchanged; there will be no increases to copays or deductibles and there are no disruptions to the existing health care networks, provisions that will create voluntary assigned days off for members working in thru freight service, the ability to take time away from work to attend to routine and preventive medical care as well as exemptions from attendance policies for hospitalizations and surgical procedures, and blocking the carriers’ attempts to fast track arbitration on crew-consist agreements to protect two-person crews for the indefinite future.  

Guess we’ll see.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:32:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: Golden-Arm] [#9]
i hired out as a fireman, and was running within a year. (i had been running, and doing ground work since i was 13, hanging out in the yards, and riding with local switch crews) the old heads were all 40-50 years on the job guys, and were for the most part, a bunch of hard drinking guys. i was a stoner, and would twist one up, right on the heater box, or control stand in front of the gauges. i'd watch those guys (full crews then, with between 4-7 guys, depending on the assignment) getting drunk, and i'd think/say "these old drunks are gonna get us all killed or fired". they'd be giving me the stink-eye all night, across the cab, and they'd opining "this fucking doper is gonna get us all killed or fired". it was good times! then the crews got cut, fireman vanished, the hacks/cabs were gone, switch tenders abolished, and towers started coming down, while the workload increased to cover the loss of each guy whose job was eliminated. 92 brought random/probable cause testing, and the party was over. percentage-wise. nothing has improved or gotten better for the crafts since the halloween agreement gutted the industry of it's workers. unless you're an engineer on a cn property, your wages are playing catch-up to the inflation of a decade prior.

i'd like to see a national payrate set, with local arbitraries, tied to the highest national wages paid at the time of a national agreement. (giving us all cn pay, with our local arbitraries left intact) as an engineer on the canadian pacific, i was the youngest engineer in the twin cities terminal. our local agreement said "the youngest engineer was to be force assigned to a change-off position (outside hostler) with right of first refusal to work rest days." because the youngest engineer was forced to work, no older engineers could be furloughed, or set back to previous crafts. this prevented the carrier from cutting engineer jobs. my conductor was the number 1 seniority cndr, on the railroad. he also had right of first refusal for working rest days. no hos limits for days worked consecutively, so we could work months/years at a time with no rest days, if we didn't want them. every day was "12 and a tow", and in a weeks pay we'd have 40 hours straight time, and 50-60 hours o/t. the youngest guy on the engineers board had literally, the highest paying job on the railroad.

i was heartbroken 2 years later, when another group of guys was hired, and i was no longer the youngest engineer on the division. i was elated though, as i got to get out and run the road in all 4 directions. (duluth/superior to the north, glenwood to the west, portage wisc. to the east, and dubuque to the south) i lost about 1/4 of my pay, overnight, with that "promotion" to road engineer. i haven't worked on a property yet (excepting amtrak) where the wages were anywhere close to what they should have been, in keeping up with inflation. the contract being offered now, isn't making anyone whole, but it's a small step in the right direction. if i was in a voting position, i'd be saying "no", as it's still not enough to make up for the last 30 years of bone-dry ass fucking we've been getting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:38:57 AM EST
[#10]
My son is an engineer for NS.  He works the PGH division from Conway to Harrisburgh.  Very difficult work due to the mountains.  He likes running the trains but hates how bad the work environment has become.  

When he hired on in 2004 the old heads would tell him how great the old days were, and he thought things were tough at this time, with the higher ups always findinding ways to fire or discipline guys.

I spoke to him last night and he told me that things now are 100 tiimes worse as far as the company running things.  I think alot of it is due to the higher ups never actually being "railroaders"  and just getting out of business school and finding the best way to cut costs....not the best way to run a railroad.

He told me that a lot of guys with 20+ years have quit to get other jobs.

I worked 3 months on NS as a conductor trainee, and quit. The actual work was a piece of cake, it didn't even feel like working. It was the time away from home that made me feel like I was just visiting my home and wife, and the inability to get any sleep because I was never knowing when I was getting called to work and when I could get to sleep whether at home or at the hotel.  

Unless you've ever worked on the railroad you can never appreciate what a difficult and different lifestyle it is.  The money and benefits, especially the retirement are great, but the lifestyle is like no other.
<­br>

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:51:58 PM EST
[#11]

You missed the part about drinking and doing lines again?
View Quote

I feel like I was born too late to say I worked on the real railroad. One of the best engineers I ever saw run a train told me about his first time. He was in MoW at the time and everyone else went back to the card game on the waycar.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:57:45 PM EST
[#12]
It’s interesting to see the differences between the union and company statements.

Company: The tentative agreement follows the recommendations of PEB 250. The end.

Union: Health and Welfare Plan point-of-service costs will remain unchanged; there will be no increases to copays or deductibles and there are no disruptions to the existing health care networks, provisions that will create voluntary assigned days off for members working in thru freight service, the ability to take time away from work to attend to routine and preventive medical care as well as exemptions from attendance policies for hospitalizations and surgical procedures, and blocking the carriers’ attempts to fast track arbitration on crew-consist agreements to protect two-person crews for the indefinite future.  

Guess we’ll see.
View Quote

Those provisions are likely verbatim from the PEB. The one's that we also are giving up extraboards and moving to self supporting pools everywhere. On property at each railroad and binding arbitration when we don't come to an agreement. That one there will likely be the thing that makes me decide to head for greener pastures.

The crew consist is just the PEB punting on it like everything else they ignored.

You can already take medical leave for pre approved long duration hospital stays.  Though hopefully for something like a Dr's appointment we'll now be able to layoff a couple of days for if necessary. We'll see soon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:07:57 PM EST
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jacon:
So the new rate is ~$165K/yr?  Seems nice.
View Quote

Lol, that's the official word I'm sure.

It really wouldn't matter how much they paid me at this point I think. The extra money would be used to leave/retire that much sooner.

To be fair I do know someone making that much. And I know of a few working the same job that make more, close to 200k. They layoff company and union business during the week for make wholes and are on the phone before they're called into work but they do. But it's for a specific terminal that made some of the first run through agreements and work every day making half their miles in a van. They also take a few whiskers to hold for the most part.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:15:37 PM EST
[#14]
Originally Posted By Oakley:
I would really REALLY like to see how the contract language reads in regards to time off, work schedule and vacation times.

Hopefully you guys get the type of schedule allowing a more normal life outside of work.

ETA: I'm in a different industry with similar work life balance arguments and issues.
View Quote

I'd be suprised if it's anything different than the part of the award in the PEB that dealt with that. It basically would send it back for each railroad to negotiate on property with binding arbitration. Could potentially turn out better but I think it's unlikely. The carriers wanted some pretty significant rule changes to get those unpaid days. Our terminals agreements are so good right now the carriers would agree to that in a heartbeat. Though in other locations I suppose they might be able to make a better deal than what they have now.

Something like that would put us into what's called assigned service and then increase the point cost required for any layoff outside it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:37:57 PM EST
[#15]
Originally Posted By Thirteener:

Those provisions are likely verbatim from the PEB. The one's that we also are giving up extraboards and moving to self supporting pools everywhere. On property at each railroad and binding arbitration when we don't come to an agreement. That one there will likely be the thing that makes me decide to head for greener pastures.

View Quote

Are you of the opinion that the mandated work rule arbitration is going to end up in this tenative agreement?

If so thats going to be a deal breaker on an otherwise passable contract.  Thats a massive job killer,  no more xtra boards.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:39:12 PM EST
[#16]

Maybe I read something wrong but the peb recommended 15%.  Email I received from the union says 15%.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

#1  Thank you

Please post it, sanitize it if need be but I'd love to see the language.  The synopsis I posted alludes to NO changes to current rates
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:48:24 PM EST
[#17]
FWIW...

Rumor is that Foote was the 'sticky widget' that wouldn't let the carrier negotiators bend and CSX's board was told (by whom I don't know exactly) that he wasn't going to be allowed to let a strike happen and invoke Congressional action that may not favor the carriers...he then evidently decided to 'spend time with his family'
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:54:41 PM EST
[#18]
FWIW...

Rumor is that Foote was the 'sticky widget' that wouldn't let the carrier negotiators bend and CSX's board was told (by whom I don't know exactly) that he wasn't going to be allowed to let a strike happen and invoke Congressional action that may not favor the carriers...he then evidently decided to 'spend time with his family'
View Quote

I saw that he stepped down. I was guessing that something like that happened.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:56:02 PM EST
[#19]

Please post it, sanitize it if need be but I'd love to see the language.  The synopsis I posted alludes to NO changes to current rates
View Quote

From what i've read it freezes the deductible during the next negotiations. I think we're assuming 15% each year till 2024 when it's capped at that amount. A slight win but actually less than we've gotten in previous contracts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:57:26 PM EST
[#20]

Are you of the opinion that the mandated work rule arbitration is going to end up in this tenative agreement?

If so thats going to be a deal breaker on an otherwise passable contract.  Thats a massive job killer,  no more xtra boards.
View Quote

Yeah I think it is. It's the same as the 2 man crew win they've been spinning. Just the PEB with glowing talking points.  Honestly few seem to even notice that and just concentrate on dumb shit like uncapped insurance! Rar!
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:09:51 PM EST
[#21]

View Quote

“improvements to Health and Welfare benefits with 15% cost share, frozen at the conclusion of the Agreement, with no cost share increase while in bargaining next round”

That’s all the BRS received beyond the PEB.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:19:08 PM EST
[#22]
I bet the foamers are super excited no strike happens.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:21:19 PM EST
[#23]

“improvements to Health and Welfare benefits with 15% cost share, frozen at the conclusion of the Agreement, with no cost share increase while in bargaining next round”

That’s all the BRS received beyond the PEB.
View Quote

Did you guys vote on an agreement and agree to it?

Last I heard only the TCU and BRC ratified it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:49:13 PM EST
[#24]

Did you guys vote on an agreement and agree to it?

Last I heard only the TCU and BRC ratified it.
View Quote

No just a tentative agreement.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 4:11:26 PM EST
[#25]
I'm either in,  near or around train yards everyday and today I didn't see one train moving.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 4:20:27 PM EST
[#26]
This really makes you wonder why the railroads capitulated and why they took so long to do it.
View Quote

Time will tell, maybe concessions on one man crews?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 4:31:42 PM EST
[#27]
Originally Posted By hwy84:

Time will tell, maybe concessions on one man crews?
View Quote

Doubt that, it doesn't serve (notso)SMART's interests to do so.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 4:53:09 PM EST
[#28]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Thirteener:

If so...

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:23:39 PM EST
[#29]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

5 man crews.  Bring back Flagmen.  Put cabs on the back of trains again.  No more wide body, HVAC equipped units.  Can drink/do lines again.

You know, 1970s railroading.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

I don’t know if I would say any of us are really happy about it. Probably more pragmatic.

What would it take to change your mind?

5 man crews.  Bring back Flagmen.  Put cabs on the back of trains again.  No more wide body, HVAC equipped units.  Can drink/do lines again.

You know, 1970s railroading.

Do they not have AC in the cabs?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:41:04 PM EST
[#30]
So they settled for a yearly pay raise that is half the rate of inflation, one day off, and unpaid medical days?

Lol

No balls
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:42:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#31]
back on page 13, juan223 posted this :

Attachment Attached File

I am kinda slow, so it took me about 4 times reading that to see what a huge slap in the face that comment is.

It’s like:

Attachment Attached File

HEY!  EVERBODY!  LOOK AT THE HUGE PROFITS WE MADE LAST QUARTER!!!

our labor force has absolutely nothing to do with us making money.  The financial geniuses at corporate made all the money because of tbe capital projects they dreamed up to reduce our risks.

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:47:10 PM EST
[#32]
View Quote

Yup.  We're not happy about it, guys I work with, we're all gonna vote no.

And man the 'we won' attitude coming from mgmt & expemts today...fuck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:48:14 PM EST
[#33]
Originally Posted By big_aug:
So they settled for a yearly pay raise that is half the rate of inflation, one day off, and unpaid medical days?

Lol

No balls
View Quote

Does the union membership still get to vote on it?

Not that voting or casting a ballot really matters:

Attachment Attached File

So that just leaves the individual railroad workers jumping ship…. Voting with their feet…

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 6:18:54 PM EST
[#34]
Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:

Yup.  We're not happy about it, guys I work with, we're all gonna vote no.

View Quote

All I better say is, Brother our little union got railroaded by people in really high places.  It’s pretty telling when the brs turns off comments on their facebook page at 5am.  “That’s all I got to say about that”
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 6:43:25 PM EST
[#35]

All I better say is, Brother our little union got railroaded by people in really high places.  It’s pretty telling when the brs turns off comments on their facebook page at 5am.  “That’s all I got to say about that”
View Quote

It could have been A LOT worse, and i fully expected a worse outcome. That being said, i am still undecided until i see what's actually in it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:04:27 PM EST
[#36]
Speaking of seeing what’s in it….

Where is it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:13:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: slimjake] [#37]
Speaking of seeing what’s in it….

Where is it?
View Quote

This exactly-
what are our options?

Our Union officials are tasked w/our best interests in mind… LOL
much like all of our state & federal “elected officials”.
It’s as clear as mud where to go from here.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:18:55 PM EST
[#38]
I was a carman for a year and a half.  Should I go back?  I am thinking about conductor.

What is the actual pay now?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:21:43 PM EST
[#39]
What exactly does a “No” vote bring to the table?

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:21:46 PM EST
[#40]

View Quote

That is NOT the atmosphere at the higher levels. Honestly, most high level leaders are glad this is over and just want to get back to running the RR. Many I’ve talked to understand the divide that exists between craft and carrier.

Many would say it’s never been this bad, and they’re dead serious.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:39:46 PM EST
[#41]

That is NOT the atmosphere at the higher levels. Honestly, most high level leaders are glad this is over and just want to get back to running the RR. Many I’ve talked to understand the divide that exists between craft and carrier.

View Quote

I don't know man, I work in an office surrounded by management, up to and including General Directors.  (Again, I don't want to say much more so as not to ID myself)

There has always been a very clear Us vs Them attitude, and it just got turned up a few notches.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:45:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: slimjake] [#42]
One thing I’ve noticed
is that in EVERY mass-media release,
the RR boots on the ground are demanding a 24% increase-
of which they fail to mention is NOT an instant increase , but incrementalized over
a 5 year period, as per a contract term…..

Which figures out to a standard, less than a 5% per annum increase in pay.

More than fair compromise in today’s arena.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:01:50 PM EST
[#43]
Originally Posted By slimjake:
One thing I’ve noticed
of which they fail to mention is NOT an instant increase , but incrementalized over

View Quote

And, most of us are basically fine with that raise.  (Myself, I went years with no raise, or a 2-3% one in IT).  Also, our average the last couple contracts has been 3-5% each year.  It's the Other Things that have us pissed: rising medical costs.  lack of sick time.  Punishment for taking unpaid days off, especially for the train crews.  Then that pesky 9-10% inflation.  We're going to bring home LESS money on this deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:02:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: slimjake] [#44]
One thing I’ve noticed

View Quote

As far as the $5000 bonus-
that is divvied as a $1000 per year of service (fully subject/taxed) as income from 2020
to 2024, which figures as a 48 cent per hour pretax differential.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:02:25 PM EST
[#45]

View All Quotes

Are any of them capable of enough self-examination to determine WHY the relationship has taken such a turn for the worse in recent years?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:07:55 PM EST
[#46]

Are any of them capable of enough self-examination to determine WHY the relationship has taken such a turn for the worse in recent years?
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:08:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: juan223] [#47]

View Quote

About 1.5 years ago i was speaking with a fairly new "shake n bake",off the street, yard manager.  He was telling me that in his training class at HQ a director spoke to them about the job and mentioned that they're likely going to see some friction at times between labor and management, and he then stated that it was their fault (managements) and that they were trying to change their culture.  I found the statement both interesting and encouraging. Why? Because the fact that it was even admitted was mind blowing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:41:24 PM EST
[#48]

View Quote

They know but won’t admit publicly.  PM inbound.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:51:24 PM EST
[#49]

And, most of us are basically fine with that raise.  (Myself, I went years with no raise, or a 2-3% one in IT).  Also, our average the last couple contracts has been 3-5% each year.  It's the Other Things that have us pissed: rising medical costs.  lack of sick time.  Punishment for taking unpaid days off, especially for the train crews.  Then that pesky 9-10% inflation.  We're going to bring home LESS money on this deal.
View All Quotes
One thing I’ve noticed

Yeah, I'm a no vote. This is all a shit sandwich.

BTW, hello everyone. Doubt anybody missed me, but I needed a break from the interwebs. Technology is really not our friend............
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 8:59:13 PM EST
[#50]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:
back on page 13, juan223 posted this :

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/A5339E80-0FEC-4559-B7BA-B6251E86762C_jpe-2527465.JPG

I am kinda slow, so it took me about 4 times reading that to see what a huge slap in the face that comment is.

It’s like:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/B7974411-6B68-4AD7-95E5-29180AEA99DF_jpe-2527468.JPG

HEY!  EVERBODY!  LOOK AT THE HUGE PROFITS WE MADE LAST QUARTER!!!

our labor force has absolutely nothing to do with us making money.  The financial geniuses at corporate made all the money because of tbe capital projects they dreamed up to reduce our risks.

View Quote

That should be a slap in the face for anyone that works for anyone else anywhere, union or not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 26
National railroad strike (Page 1 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top