Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/4/2022 7:04:40 PM EDT
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/01/europe/russia-farm-vehicles-ukraine-disabled-melitopol-intl/index.html

Russians plunder $5M farm vehicles from Ukraine -- to find they've been remotely disabled
By Olexsandr Fylyppov and Tim Lister, CNN

Updated 10:30 PM ET, Sun May 1, 2022

(CNN)Russian troops in the occupied city of Melitopol have stolen all the equipment from a farm equipment dealership -- and shipped it to Chechnya, according to a Ukrainian businessman in the area.

But after a journey of more than 700 miles, the thieves were unable to use any of the equipment -- because it had been locked remotely.

Over the past few weeks there's been a growing number of reports of Russian troops stealing farm equipment, grain and even building materials - beyond widespread looting of residences. But the removal of valuable agricultural equipment from a John Deere dealership in Melitopol speaks to an increasingly organized operation, one that even uses Russian military transport as part of the heist.

CNN has learned that the equipment was removed from an Agrotek dealership in Melitopol, which has been occupied by Russian forces since early March. Altogether it's valued at nearly $5 million. The combine harvesters alone are worth $300,000 each.

CNN is not naming a contact in Melitopol familiar with the details of the case for their own safety.

The contact said the process began with the seizure of two combine harvesters, a tractor and a seeder. Over the next few weeks, everything else was removed: in all 27 pieces of farm machinery. One of the flat-bed trucks used, and caught on camera, had a white "Z" painted on it and appeared to be a military truck.

The contact said there were rival groups of Russian troops: some would come in the morning and some in the evening.

Some of the machinery was taken to a nearby village, but some of it embarked on a long overland journey to Chechnya more than 700 miles away. The sophistication of the machinery, which are equipped with GPS, meant that its travel could be tracked. It was last tracked to the village of Zakhan Yurt in Chechnya.
The equipment ferried to Chechnya, which included combine harvesters -- can also be controlled remotely. "When the invaders drove the stolen harvesters to Chechnya, they realized that they could not even turn them on, because the harvesters were locked remotely," the contact said.

The equipment now appears to be languishing at a farm near Grozny. But the contact said that "it seems that the hijackers have found consultants in Russia who are trying to bypass the protection."

"Even if they sell harvesters for spare parts, they will earn some money," the contact said.

Other sources in the Melitopol region say theft by Russian military units has extended to grain held in silos, in a region that produces hundreds of thousands of tonnes of crops a year.

One source told CNN that "the occupiers are offering local farmers to share their profits 50% to 50%." But the farmers trying to work in areas occupied by Russian troops are unable to move their produce.

"Not a single elevator works. None of the ports are working. You will not take this grain from the occupied territory anywhere. "

So Russian forces are simply taking the grain, the source said. "They steal it, take it to Crimea and that's it."

Last week the mayor of Melitopol posted a video showing a convoy of trucks leaving Melitopol allegedly loaded with grain.

"We have clear evidence that they unloaded grain from the Melitopol city elevator. They robbed the elevator along with private farms," the mayor told CNN.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesus christ Russians are retarded
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck the Russian looters, but why does John Deere have the ability to shut anything off remotely?

Can't wait to hear more of this happening in the US and with EVs as well...
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
So they stole like 1.5 combines?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you say "Right to repair" in Russian?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck the Russian looters, but why does John Deere have the ability to shut anything off remotely?

View Quote

Funny the things they accidentally uncover in the midst of their virtue signaling isn't it? What's next? Republican farmers? Farmers the gov wants to shut down?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Some wiz will get them working.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck any/all of that remote bullshit...
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If I was a farmer, I would not want to own a piece of equipment that a 3rd party could render inert by pressing a button
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not just EVs.
Our benevolent government have passed a law mandating this ability be built into every new car.
Along with monitoring your behavior, and if the car AI decides that you are not looking right, it will stop the car and call the cops.
Oh - and a built-in breathalyzer in every car too.

Don't you read the news??

https://www.motorious.com/articles/features-3/kill-switches-new-cars/
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]
You'll own nothing and you'll be happy.

I mean fuck Russia and thieves but that's disturbing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Russia today, US citizens tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Credit where due, based on some of the stuff you see operating there, they'll probably either figure out how to hack them or strip the electronics off and use them without the computers or they'll strip them and sell the parts .  Same thing as countries like Pakistan, India, China, etc.- they'll figure a way to get it going.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not just EVs.
Our benevolent government have passed a law mandating this ability be built into every new car.
Along with monitoring your behavior, and if the car AI decides that you are not looking right, it will stop the car and call the cops.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just EVs.

I forgot about the breathalyzer shit...
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, Russians will hack their firmware and we'll have a black-market JD scan tool available in the near future.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, the fuck?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
We may applaud this when it's disabling stolen property, but the fact that JD could remotely disable something on my/your farm for whatever cause they deem appropriate (if I/you had JD products), is troubling to me.

This is going to be a big step over the PERSEC line...

There is WAY more to the story than simply deeming the machines need to be disabled.

I know the guy who was, partially, responsible for making this happen and it's a truly 1-off situation. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the optics of doing something like this, outside of extraordinary circumstances, would mean market suicide for Deere.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuck any/all of that remote bullshit...
View Quote

Fuck Russia, but yeah. They shouldn't be able to shutdown your property.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
We have the propaganda contradicting itself. On one hand we have the Russians without the ability the transport food, fuel and munitions for their troops,  on the other hand they have the transport to haul off hundreds of thousands of tons of grain and a large amount of farm equipment.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Credit where due, based on some of the stuff you see operating there, they'll probably either figure out how to hack them or strip the electronics off and use them without the computers or they'll strip them and sell the parts .  Same thing as countries like Pakistan, India, China, etc.- they'll figure a way to get it going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet Putin is getting a piece of two.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone who thinks they can't make em work...
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We have the propaganda contradicting itself. On one hand we have the Russians without the ability the transport food, fuel and munitions for their troops,  on the other hand they have the transport to haul off hundreds of thousands of tons of grain and a large amount of farm equipment.
View Quote

Well... the farm equipment self-propelled and normally pulls things soooo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Love your innocence. Never lose it
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#24]
My 2 excavators have Volvo Care capability. You have to pay monthly, basically they can diagnose or send a program to fix a computer issue or they can determine a code problem. With that, they know where the machines are and can shut it down if they wanted.
That service is too damn expensive and I don’t use it. I have it disabled.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If I was a farmer, I would not want to own a piece of equipment that a 3rd party could render inert by pressing a button
View Quote

Farmers?

I just bought a Bobcat Skid Steer.  It came with a user agreement where you acknowledged that Bobcat had remote access, monitoring and reporting back.  It further gave them the right to use the data for any purpose from warranty to marketing to selling the information.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#26]
They are machines that run on internal combustion. There is no way a bypass isn't possible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That will control food production and the people nicely once they do it here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There is WAY more to the story than simply deeming the machines need to be disabled.

I know the guy who was, partially, responsible for making this happen and it's a truly 1-off situation. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the optics of doing something like this, outside of extraordinary circumstances, would mean market suicide for Deere.
View Quote

Sounds like there was some local aid needed to shut off the machines then.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#30]
fuck russia fuck john deere.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

There aren’t enough freak emojis to cover the weird irrational thoughts that pop into your mind.    It’d be easier if you just didn’t type them out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Just about ANY equipment that’s computer controlled from Farm Equipment to CNC machines can be tracked and turned on/off remotely.A former employer moved about 50 Mazak CNC machines to a new facility and none of the machines would would work after the move.Even though the machines were owned outright Mazak still kept monitoring them and disabled them because they were moved.Mazak said it was to prevent theft and export to countries that aren’t allowed access to 5 axis CNC technology.Kinda scary when you don’t have full control of your $500,000 or more paid for piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We may applaud this when it's disabling stolen property, but the fact that JD could remotely disable something on my/your farm for whatever cause they deem appropriate (if I/you had JD products), is troubling to me.
View Quote

This can't be said enough.  Same goes for new cars and trucks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#36]
There was a story on here a while back about a guy buying a Tesla plaid and them remotely disabling the performance package since he wasn't the original buyer- no idea if it was true.  OnStar and probably the other onboard computers can shut your stuff off too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm really like my 1983 toyota 4x4 more and more every minute.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#38]
$5 million is about 10 pieces of equipment

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This can't be said enough.  Same goes for new cars and trucks.
View Quote

New? We had a car stolen off the lot and Benz shut it down remotely. That was 2006 or 2007? None of this is new.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Deere does this domestically on leased equipment if payments arent made. Kind of mixed feelings on it tbh... Deere still owns that equipment until its paid off in full per the contract.

I would love to see a company come along and sell kits to bring the electronics into an open standard that doesnt phone home.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#41]
So Russians stealing $5mil from Ukraine is news but silence on Ukraine stealing billions from American taxpayers
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#42]
who is next
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think all manufactures have this in new machines. I know JD isn't the only one.
Besides, without the right oil and filters, those tractors and combines will junk in 3 years.

They better hope they don't need parts. Our local JD dealer always asks for serial numbers when we need parts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds more like JD did it this time, but promise they won’t do it again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So Russians stealing $5mil from Ukraine is news but silence on Ukraine stealing billions from American taxpayers
View Quote

To be fair, our media usually doesn't report our politicians stealing from us either.    
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not just EVs.

Don't you read the nws??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just EVs.

Don't you read the nws??

Went old school about ten years ago expecting this to happen. So therefore, as technology had increased, some had a plan to effectively decrease away from it. When they say run this way, it is prudent in many an instance to stop and walk back the other way. And a country boy can survive. Simplify and you will make due. The training part has been successful so far. So much to know and become familiar with. It is hard work which is what they don't want you to become proficient and knowledgeable about. They want you lazy, and therefore soft.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think all manufactures have this in new machines. I know JD isn't the only one.
Besides, without the right oil and filters, those tractors and combines will junk in 3 years.

They better hope they don't need parts. Our local JD dealer always asks for serial numbers when we need parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can always call on those Paki or Indian guys who cast functional parts while working in a shop that would give an OSHA inspector a stroke.    

I've always been honestly impressed with the ingenuity of people in some of these places when it comes to keeping equipment running.  Russia definitely has the technology to reverse engineer the equipment as does China, India, etc.  New model Mahindra tractors coming soon to a Northern Tool near you!  
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much everything sold for many years now both transmits vehicle telemetry and can receive updates over cell, so I would assume they all can be shut down remotely.  I'd bet it's just as easy to brick a modern ICE vehicle as an EV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top