BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At the risk of sounding like an internet-based philosopher, it is always better to ask a question if you don't 100% understand something.  GD would be a much more useful place if people asked more and stated less.  Discussion around genuine questions is much more beneficial than discussion to disprove fallacies, because then emotion and ego are automatically injected into it from the start.  It happens to me, it happens to everyone, it's how the internet works.

There's also nothing wrong with being wrong. Once again, it's a discussion board on the internet.  Everybody is wrong at some point here, and half the discussions are both right and wrong at the same time depending on context and situation.

Feel free to argue any of this with me. It's what we do here.
View Quote

I can't argue with any of that.

I've been reevaluating my vision of what GD is lately.   I have a long history of starting threads with attempts at provocative half-truths, simply to start a 'fun' conversation (asshat remarks and all.)

It seems that more and more that sort of thing is becoming unwelcome.  It's like the gestalt of humor here is evaporating.  Everything has to be either obvious sarcasm or an absolute truth.  If not, it's met with snarky comments or outright insults.  Both of which are boring as hell, to be honest.

At least you are able to express a thought, hear a response, and move the conversation in a positive direction, not clinging to a fragile ego.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Calling someone a troll is not as bad as calling them a liar.

I repeat my challenge:  If anyone here honestly thinks I've been a full-of-shit liar in this thread, tell me why.

I can at least understand why someone would call it a troll thread.  And I guess it was, but only because there is some humor in the idea of a tampon in an IFAK.  I'm learning that lately GD's tolerance for sideways humor is getting pretty low.

I don't like being called a liar.  In fact, I pride myself on my integrity and honesty, and I will defend it.

You might as well call me a thief for plagiarizing the internet and failing to credit the author.  As I've admitted... Guilty of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here’s your OP where you claim to be “wondering”:

Here’s your second post:

That’s not a question, it’s not wondering. It’s great you’ve come around to discarding your tampons now, but you’re trying to fib about it. Anyone can see your story about this thread is untrue.

Calling someone a troll is not as bad as calling them a liar.

I repeat my challenge:  If anyone here honestly thinks I've been a full-of-shit liar in this thread, tell me why.

I can at least understand why someone would call it a troll thread.  And I guess it was, but only because there is some humor in the idea of a tampon in an IFAK.  I'm learning that lately GD's tolerance for sideways humor is getting pretty low.

I don't like being called a liar.  In fact, I pride myself on my integrity and honesty, and I will defend it.

You might as well call me a thief for plagiarizing the internet and failing to credit the author.  As I've admitted... Guilty of that.

If I claim, over and over, that I’m Napoleon Bonaparte, am I a liar or a crazy person?

Am I full of of shit or delusional?

I’m beginning to think you’re not a liar anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If I claim, over and over, that I’m Napoleon Bonaparte, am I a liar or a crazy person?

Am I full of of shit or delusional?

I’m beginning to think you’re not a liar anymore.
View Quote

You know, I hate putting anyone on ignore - especially longtime members.  You crossed the line, and you won't pull back.  Don't bother responding.  I won't see it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
someone needs to stick a tampon in their relationship
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to show a lot of property when I had my real-estate license. And you would be surprised how many women don't carry one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes I have them, but for their intended usage and not for trauma. I have plenty of other stuff better at stopping bleeding.
View Quote

I to have both but not for first aid the wife puts them in all our vehicles just in case we are out and she needs them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For fuck's sake, just get actual bandages and dressings
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Not reading the whole thread, but this is what you seek: Celox Gunshot Syringe
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not reading the whole thread, but this is what you seek: Celox Gunshot Syringe
View Quote

How does that help if you don't have any pressure on the wound ? Seriously, read up on wound packing.  You don't want to just shove raw Celox in any old hole.

Bleeding control is about keeping blood INSIDE blood vessels, so that you maintain blood volume and the organs continue to get perfused.  And to do that, you need to patch the holes in the arteries (by wound packing) or shutting the artery off (if its on an extremity).

Please, take a Stop the Bleed class.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tampons are good for plugging up puncture wounds and the pads make good dressings. Just make sure you get the non-scented type so you’re not injecting the scent chemical into the wound.

Playtex Unscented Tampons, Always Maxi Unscented Pads
View Quote

Nope. Dumb post is dumb.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]
LOL

First Aid Kit.

Nice secondary use.  

I have some in my bag at all times.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You seem ... familiar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This old wive’s tale needs to die...before you kill someone.

You seem ... familiar.

Savage.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#14]
No, because thanks to the interwebs, YouTube, and a very good local medic class I have better options to stop bleeding.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You seem ... familiar.
View Quote

Holy crap, NorCal_LEO is on a killing spree lately

I suppose we can shove a tampon in the gaping hole that NorCal left in 1787's head
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  But they are for feminine emergencies, not plugging bullet holes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]
No and not because of embarrassment. It's stupid.

Also my nearly 20 year flight paramedic wife laughed hysterically while asking if people really thought this was a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How does that help if you don't have any pressure on the wound ? Seriously, read up on wound packing.  You don't want to just shove raw Celox in any old hole.

Bleeding control is about keeping blood INSIDE blood vessels, so that you maintain blood volume and the organs continue to get perfused.  And to do that, you need to patch the holes in the arteries (by wound packing) or shutting the artery off (if its on an extremity).

View Quote

Did you watch the vid to see how it works?
I haven’t had the opportunity to use it yet, but carry it in my aid bags.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#19]

the whole thread is embarrassing

OP just request a lock and hope it dies

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Did you watch the vid to see how it works?
I haven’t had the opportunity to use it yet, but carry it in my aid bags.
View Quote

I did just watch that.  My 2 cents (FYI - EMT-B here).....

While Celox is a proven clotting agent, the method they show in the video seems excessively complicated over just using a known good TQ to stop the bleeding on an extremity.  Also if you got a bad arterial bleeder, I would be concerned about the spurting blood pushing the Celox out of the way.  With a TQ that's properly applied, the bleeding STOPS almost instantly.

For junction wounds, I think Celox gauze would be a better solution, as you can push the gauze against the damaged artery to get the necessary pressure to stop the bleed while the Celox in the gauze does its magic.  As with an extremity wound, I think plain Celox is at risk of being flushed out of the round by the spurting artery.  

A final concern I'd have with plain Celox (as shown in the video) is that it will make more work for the surgeon repairing the round, as he/she has get all that Celox gunk out of the wound now.  Where as a TQ or Celox gauze would be easy to remove.

ETA: This is how I was taught to treat a junction wound, its the TCCC approved method.

Combat Gauze with disclaimer
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Im married and have three daughters. I have pads and tampons everywhere. Everywhere.

However, i would never use them for wound dressing, as i have better options for that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't want a bandage to soak up blood, I want a bandage to stop bleeding.

I did carry a few when I did event medicine, cuz a few girls always got caught by surprise, and always thought the first aid station would have them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Next best method without a tampon..

"Rambo III" - That Scene When He Lights Himself On Fire
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:45:06 AM EDT
[#25]
No, clotting agent
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

While Celox is a proven clotting agent, the method they show in the video seems excessively complicated over just using a known good TQ to stop the bleeding on an extremity.  Also if you got a bad arterial bleeder, I would be concerned about the spurting blood pushing the Celox out of the way.  With a TQ that's properly applied, the bleeding STOPS almost instantly.

For junction wounds, I think Celox gauze would be a better solution, as you can push the gauze against the damaged artery to get the necessary pressure to stop the bleed while the Celox in the gauze does its magic.  As with an extremity wound, I think plain Celox is at risk of being flushed out of the round by the spurting artery.  

A final concern I'd have with plain Celox (as shown in the video) is that it will make more work for the surgeon repairing the round, as he/she has get all that Celox gunk out of the wound now.  Where as a TQ or Celox gauze would be easy to remove.

ETA: This is how I was taught to treat a junction wound, its the TCCC approved method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff5bYep566o
View Quote

I’m tracking but don’t agree with it all.
Ive  been teaching all this stuff since near the beginning amd have seen a lot of stuff come and go while the stuff we use today was voodoo black magic that would kill everyone in the civilian world.

I agree that this doesn’t replace the gauze and it is more complicated so I wouldn’t recommend it for the average guy.
I felt like you were denouncing it, while I see it as another tool in the box and a different way to deliver the same type ingredients to a wound.
They have the powder kits also to reload the syringe. The powder has two more shots in it.

For a fairly small package, I get three applications that I can get deep in a smaller hole my fingers won’t fit into
This might come in handy when I come across a bunch of retards with tampons. .

Also, I think wound irrigation is going to be the same with the powder or gauze. Both need to be cleaned out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No, but I do have z-folded gauze, combat gauze and CAT tourniquets.
View Quote

Something like this. I have purpose-made dressings, so that I don't have to rely on improvising with stuff I don't normally carry.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've treated gunshot wounds before. I was paramedic for 8 years. Compresses are a waste of space if you are limited in kit size because you can use a shirt or any other cloth to hold pressure on a wound. If you have a vehicle kit where space isn't an issue, then yes, having a shit load of abd pads and and other dressings makes sense. I carry the above mentioned celox, 2 tqs, 2 Israeli bandages, an asherman chest seal, and 2 large sponges in my hunting pack/ gunshot kit (among other things). So no, I don't need to "read up" or take a class. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:00:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff5bYep566o
View Quote

My take on this is an arfcom classic: Get Both.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like a good research project on Celox granules method vs TQ (for extremity bleeds) or Celox granules method vs packing for junction wounds.  Personally I'm a bit skeptical that you're going to get as effective bleeding control using just granules, but that's why they do research instead of just using asshole guesses

The TCCC guide as of 11/2020 does not make mention of using granules as a bleeding control method.

https://www.deployedmedicine.com/market/11/content/40
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Op, I think that you are a liar. All evidence points to you just trying to back peddle.

Yes, your title is a question but read with your post shows clearly, in my mind, that you were trying to show tampons/ pads as a good idea. You were trying to convince people. Not as an unbias discussion of if it is.

Your pole only has to choices, yes and no because it is embarrassing. You didn't leave any option for "no, but it should" or "no, because it is a bad idea for trauma care".

Who even gets embarrassed about carrying life saving gear. Especially because who will even see it?

Your mind was made up until this beat down.

I am a EMT-B (Which means I know less than a lot of people here) and we were told in the class that tampons are a bad idea and to never stick them in a puncture wound.

OP, everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has held and still holds false beliefs. Admit to it, grow from it and move on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good research project on Celox granules method vs TQ (for extremity bleeds) or Celox granules method vs packing for junction wounds.  Personally I'm a bit skeptical that you're going to get as effective bleeding control using just granules, but that's why they do research instead of just using asshole guesses

The TCCC guide as of 11/2020 does not make mention of using granules as a bleeding control method.

https://www.deployedmedicine.com/market/11/content/40
View Quote

If you have the ability to use both, why would you not? I'm not picking up on your logic here. If you have any medical training, you'd know that training manuals are always years in arrears as far as advances in technology. If you recall, it wasn't that long ago that using a TQ on somebody meant you lost your license. At this point, I think you're just being a contrarian to be a contrarian. BTW, out of curiosity, how many GSWs have you treated? No fibbing.

Edit: The military would have to do an RFP, procure the granules, test them, approve them, issue them, and teach people how to deploy them. That takes time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#33]
He can think what he wants.

It’s not last week new, its in use and in the system.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No, but I have medical training after 1992
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn’t read past the OP

Someone please tell me that this nonsense of tampons being “good” for wounds has been roundly chastised

NO.  NO.  NO.

EDIT:  glad to see this bafoonery has been rightly ridiculed
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No, but I do have z-folded gauze, combat gauze and CAT tourniquets.
View Quote
This.

Despite victim's demeanor, menstrual bleeding is not life threatening.

Unless there be sharks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can't argue with any of that.

I've been reevaluating my vision of what GD is lately.   I have a long history of starting threads with attempts at provocative half-truths, simply to start a 'fun' conversation (asshat remarks and all.)

It seems that more and more that sort of thing is becoming unwelcome.  It's like the gestalt of humor here is evaporating.  Everything has to be either obvious sarcasm or an absolute truth.  If not, it's met with snarky comments or outright insults.  Both of which are boring as hell, to be honest.

At least you are able to express a thought, hear a response, and move the conversation in a positive direction, not clinging to a fragile ego.
View Quote

I think it's your subject matter on this occasion. Perpetuating fuddlore about life saving medicine is pretty serious business and we had at least one person in this thread who read your OP, didn't read any of the replies and posted in support of the idea...
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top