Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/13/2018 10:44:23 AM EDT
I don't understand how a fire that was hot enough to burn vehicles in or near the road could leave the tree leaves intact.

The leaves may be dead or dying from the heat, but I would think that the leaves would have burned and left nothing but the limbs if it was hot enough to burn cars.

I see the scorched or smoke covered tree trunks.  I know that in some areas the fire is mostly underbrush.

But to completely burn tires and break all of the glass in cars must require a really hot fire and a fire that lingers in the area a while.

Wonder why the truck is upside down?

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Worked a lot of fires.  Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what burns and what doesn’t.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Wonder why the road signs are pristine
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Fire does weird shit
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
upside down? might have been pushed off roadway by emergency vehicles
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]
God is mad at the people of California not the leaves and signs.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Several reasons....fire was probably quick moving, types of fuels and surface mass.

Cars will light up much quicker than a solid tree. Tires start to burn and its down hill from there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]
California faked the whole thing for federal funding.  The best movie makers in the world live there, ya know?

Or weird shit happens with fires.

It's definitely one or the other.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never experienced anything to that magnitude, but evergreens I've seen burn have had the leaves brown but don't really drop the leaves until they're shaken.  As for the upside down truck, I read elsewhere they were using heavy equipment to clear blocked roads of abandoned vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Lets go with this
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Sure hope they cleared them first before moving them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Ever tried to burn a log from a freshly cut tree?  There's a reason people season their firewood for months before burning it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't understand how a fire that was hot enough to burn vehicles in or near the road could leave the tree leaves intact.

The leaves may be dead or dying from the heat, but I would think that the leaves would have burned and left nothing but the limbs if it was hot enough to burn cars.

I see the scorched or smoke covered tree trunks.  I know that in some areas the fire is mostly underbrush.

But to completely burn tires and break all of the glass in cars must require a really hot fire and a fire that lingers in the area a while.

https://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/11/vv-640x480.png
View Quote
You would have to understand what is fuel and what is not.

A growing tree will not be dried out and burn. A car will light up in seconds. A house will. Ash and burning debris cyclone around with the wind lighting many things.

Trees aren’t flammable until they are very heated, with the bark intact, they don’t dry out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#14]
The trees were not full of gas and oil and highly flammable materials, metals.

The forest fire burned through faster, caught the vehicle on fire, and it created it's own localized inferno.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#15]
oops, double tap
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#16]
"Forest" fires are typically the dry brush, leaves, needles, and ground level branches and fallen trees burning and feeding the fires, not the standing living trees. Fire moves through hot and fast, vehicles catch fire pretty easy and burn on their own, standing trees get charred pretty bad and usually die if the fire is intense enough but they don't usually "catch" on fire where they keep burning and burning like a campfire log.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Some trees hold more moisture than others. I’m guessing the fire came and went through that area too quickly to catch those particular trees on fire.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#18]
The tires popped and the truck flipped due to the inertia.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
oops, double tap
View Quote
You can say that again.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#20]
The fires burn so fast and low to the ground that it doesn’t catch the leaves up high on fire. The key is to have a low fuel content in the ground cover. Where I grew up the trees were all scorched near the ground; but had full canopies.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's as good an explanation as any.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#22]
energy weapons..
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Spontaneous Truck Combustion.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Several years ago the lodge for a local ski resort burned down. I was there to watch it happen - it was a very impressive Blaze. And with it being in such a rural area with no fire hydrants, the local fire department had limited resources to actually put the fire out. With nobody inside they decided to basically just let the building go.

My brother was on the ski patrol at the time, so he was able to go back to the building afterwards. And with the entire two story building a smoking and smoldering rubble for days afterwards,  it was still very surprising the things that survived the fire.

Hotdogs still raw in what used to be the kitchen, cardboard drink coasters from the bar, random things like that, all found in the rubble.

-K
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Well magnets are tricky things
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ever tried to burn a log from a freshly cut tree?  There's a reason people season their firewood for months before burning it.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Truck pushed out of the way, you can see the spot it burned in behind it with the melted aluminum, and the scuff marks where it was pushed to the current location.

Not sure, but I can see the logic in replacing damaged road safety signage ASAP, especially where many other infrastructure things are gone, like lights, reflective markers etc. Signs are cheap and easy. But all of that is just a guess, and I overall agree that fire does crazy shit, especially high wind driven fires.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
energy weapons..
View Quote
This bullshit. We seen it last time with some forest fires. Fuggin whackadoos.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, it's weird...and, yeah it happens.  You'll come across things that you would swear that someone must have come through afterwards and placed it there to mess with folks.  But no, for whatever reason, the plastic turtle the neighbor had would survive unscathed, not a single heat/scorch mark.  Everything around it, gone.  And, not believing what you're seeing, you pick it up and the ground under where it sat isn't touched, either.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The trees were not full of gas and oil and highly flammable materials, metals.

The forest fire burned through faster, caught the vehicle on fire, and it created it's own localized inferno.
View Quote
I'm thinking this. Wood is an excellent insulator and takes a while to start burning. Gas does not.

I'm guessing the fire was moving so fast it barely touched the trees, signs, etc before it was gone (and the smoke probably inhibited the combustion of the leaves by lack of oxygen), but the fire combusts the gas and then the car keeps burning long after the fire has blown through.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Check the registration - did the owner used to work for Hillary Clinton?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Several reasons....fire was probably quick moving, types of fuels and surface mass.

Cars will light up much quicker than a solid tree. Tires start to burn and its down hill from there.
View Quote
Yep.  Plus most live trees are really hard to burn.  They are full of water.  So are leaves.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fire does weird shit
View Quote
This. Or aliens.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#35]
And that truck was pushed out of the way and flipped over.  There is no aluminum from the wheels melted onto the chassis or fenders.  It burned right side up before getting flipped over by rescue.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#36]
vehicles have fuel, tired and other hydro carbons, even a small fire and set a vehicle ablaze and is why they can looks ridiculously scorched and the sign in the background is pristine looking.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
The car is like a big heat sink . Also the fire doesnt burn in a straight line like you would think it always does. Think of it like the tide at a beach and how some sand gets wet but some does not. Wind and air flow over terrain matters too . If you ever tried to light a smoke or a cigar you know there are certain directions and areas that you cant because of wind. Same principal
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
"Forest" fires are typically the dry brush, leaves, needles, and ground level branches and fallen trees burning and feeding the fires, not the standing living trees. Fire moves through hot and fast, vehicles catch fire pretty easy and burn on their own, standing trees get charred pretty bad and usually die if the fire is intense enough but they don't usually "catch" on fire where they keep burning and burning like a campfire log.
View Quote
Forest fires are a natural thing that blow thru and burn all the dead stuff between the trees without getting hot enough to generally harm the trees.

Humans build houses in the trees and don't like forest fires so they try to prevent them from happening.  Dead crap accumulates.  Now when forest fires do happen they have a lot more accumulated dead brush/timber to burn and burn much hotter which can kill live trees.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#39]
It's actually Michael Bay's truck and at the first sign of trouble (CEL, TPS light, etc) it exploded and flipped over
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. I think there was a lot of thick, low fuel. I've drove through short stretches of active roadside fire and the heat is intense. Thick low brush will rage but not combust much of the tree canopy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Magnets
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#42]
When I was a kid the neighbor raked his leaves into a pile and burned them. Fire wasn’t out all the way when he left it and it spread through the small wooded lot between our houses. Burned west to east and left the east side of all the trees perfectly intact (leaves and all) but completely annihilated my parents’ van that was parked in our driveway. Fires do weird stuff.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Dozzer
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#44]
vehicle was going to fast to make that turn ? during the fire ?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ever tried to burn a log from a freshly cut tree?  There's a reason people season their firewood for months Years before burning it.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm going with that and the truck just caught on fire.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/11/vv-640x480.png
View Quote
I watched a minivan burn to the frame and wheels on the highway at one point.  A car brings it's own fuel and once it gets going can burn pretty well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I bet there is some sort of filter, albeit it not much, that is making that picture look worse than it is. No explanation for the street sign not being fooked.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
What dis mon say.  I seen it!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top