Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/9/2016 11:57:10 AM EDT
Are they a completely different type of engine, or is it just a characteristic that happens to occur with that model engine?

they used to do touch and goes all day long at Wright Patt, up until about 5 years ago.  You could always tell they were about to come over head, with about 5 minutes to spare.  My house was at the east end of their flight turn around loop, so they were steeply banked and very low (1000 feet?) as they passed directly overhead.  I enjoyed watching them.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#1]
c5 crew chief here, what c5 are you talking about b models or m models?

two different engines.

c5b is loud c5m sounds not that loud
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
extremely high bi-pass ratio
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Because they are huge?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It was one of the first high bypass turbofan engines. They hadn't figured out a lot of the sound suppression in them that we have today.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
im gonna assume you are talking about the C-5B models, those are the TF-39 engines, the ones that rattle the windows in your house and shake your chest.

Those engines were designed in the late 1950s and have been maintained, being rebuilt, many times since then.

At the time there was essentially no noise dampening technology, so your essentially hearing the uncensored engine sound.

modern aircraft have sound dampening which wasnt available at the time the engine was designed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
It's generally due to the awesomeness.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
couldn't tell you. I updated the post with a little more info.  They were based out of Wright Patt up until maybe 5 years ago. It was a very loud whine/scream.
Now they are all C-17s, and they do the same thing, but they return to base about 5 miles closer to the base, so I never seen them overhead.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
lol that video you posted is actually an M-model, which has the quiet engines.

CF-6 engines, the same ones used on most commercial airliners.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's generally due to the awesomeness.
View Quote
that's what I always assumed, too.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#10]
See them here fairly often. Doing touch and goes out at Wright Patterson I imagine. You don't hear them until they're really close.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

im gonna assume you are talking about the C-5B models, those are the TF-39 engines, the ones that rattle the windows in your house and shake your chest.

Those engines were designed in the late 1950s and have been maintained, being rebuilt, many times since then.

At the time there was essentially no noise dampening technology, so your essentially hearing the uncensored engine sound.

modern aircraft have sound dampening which wasnt available at the time the engine was designed.
View Quote
Said it better than me. This exactly.

The TF-39 was the first production high bypass ratio turbofan engine. Lots of improvements since then.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
can you find an older vid?

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I assume it's because they are moving a giant plane full of M1 tanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#14]
The buzz is caused by the aerodynamics of the half-span fan stage.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

See them here fairly often. Doing touch and goes out at Wright Patterson I imagine. You don't hear them until they're really close.
View Quote
interesting... where are you?  S. Charleston here, about 15 miles due east of base..

I only see C17s in the air anymore.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
TF-39 Engine ( old and loud)

CF-6 ( New to the C-5 and quiet)

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#17]
how many M-1 Abrams can the C-5 fly with?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

two,

also here is a video showing them taking off side by side, shows the different climb rates, and the noise created by the engines.

The new engines are fucking phenomenal, the climb rate is ridiculous, the engines are actually governed, we cant run them at truly full power or we risk destroying our wings.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of them

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

As many as it wants to?

Beat
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

interesting... where are you?  S. Charleston here, about 15 miles due east of base..   I only see C17s in the air anymore.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

interesting... where are you?  S. Charleston here, about 15 miles due east of base..   I only see C17s in the air anymore.

You are correct. It's the C17 I'm seeing.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#22]
In this video, as it spools up for takeoff, there are two distinct pitches, there is a very high pitch scream, and a more middle pitched whine.  That is the sound I was thinking about.  It wasn't necessarily so loud as unique.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Another really unique sound to the C5 is a FCC falling down the crew ladder.

Luckily he stopped at the door.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In this video, as it spools up for takeoff, there are two distinct pitches, there is a very high pitch scream, and a more middle pitched whine.  That is the sound I was thinking about.  It wasn't necessarily so loud as unique.
View Quote

they really do have a unique sound, unfortunatelly the old engines will be totally phased out within 5-10 years.

then the only way you will be able to hear them is through youtube. which sucks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Another really unique sound to the C5 is a FCC falling down the crew ladder.

Luckily he stopped at the door.
View Quote

i know these feeels you speak of.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

two,

also here is a video showing them taking off side by side, shows the different climb rates, and the noise created by the engines.

The new engines are fucking phenomenal, the climb rate is ridiculous, the engines are actually governed, we cant run them at truly full power or we risk destroying our wings.

https://youtu.be/85At2tP8V8c
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

two,

Makes me homesick.  Used to sit in the back yard drinking beer and watch the C-5 and C-141 landing at Travis.  They just seemed to fang there barely moving.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#29]
This video here is actually a big fucking deal.

this was in Afghanistan, the c5 got into position preparing for take off and a levey broke that was holding back flooded rain water.

the water flooded the run way and by the time the pilots noticed it it was too late.

Essentially what happened was there was a student pilot taking off with a much more experienced one over seeing him.

when the student saw the water they were at full take off speed and he tried to throttle back to abort the take off, which would have caused the aircraft to hydroplane and veer off the runway potentially killing everyone on board.

luckily the veteran pilot saw him pulling back the throtttles and jumped forward and slammed them forward. doing that saved everyones life.
if you listen in the video you can hear the throttles maxed out, come down for a second, then ram back up.

the water actually did severly critical damage to the aircraft, tons of sheet metal damage, flat tires if i remember, and ripped out the APU (auxillary power unit)

Really incredible.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

two,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

two,

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes I love youtube... this all started with me watching the E-2c essentially fall off the front of the Eisenhower, when a wire snapped, and then recover and fly off from ground level.

then  I ended up watching the C-17 land at the short runway in FL, and take off, and then the C-5 videos were in my suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

this was in Afghanistan, the c5 got into position preparing for take off and a levey broke that was holding back flooded rain water.

the water flooded the run way and by the time the pilots noticed it it was too late.

Essentially what happened was there was a student pilot taking off with a much more experienced one over seeing him.

when the student saw the water they were at full take off speed and he tried to throttle back to abort the take off, which would have caused the aircraft to hydroplane and veer off the runway potentially killing everyone on board.

luckily the veteran pilot saw him pulling back the throtttles and jumped forward and slammed them forward. doing that saved everyones life.

if you listen in the video you can hear the throttles maxed out, come down for a second, then ram back up.

https://youtu.be/1QZr3qz3V8M

the water actually did severly critical damage to the aircraft, tons of sheet metal damage, flat tires if i remember, and ripped out the APU (auxillary power unit)

Really incredible.
View Quote
wow, thanks for posting that. it's incredible what happens when you move around gigantic pieces of equipment in ways that defy mother nature.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
two,

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

two,

during the surge how busy was the flight schedule? whats the weirdest cargo you ever transported?

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

https://youtu.be/1QZr3qz3V8M

Really incredible.
View Quote
It did a LOT of damage to the left side wheel well area. Several frames had to be replaced. I had the misfortune of having to inspect that plane pre and post damage And document the repairs.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Live about a mile from the end of the runway on Mcchord back in 98-20001.  The C5s are old and loud.  When the c-17s replaced the C-141s at McChord there was a huge reduction in the noise you would hear.  Heard the C-141s the time rattling the windows, hardly heard the C-17s at all unless they were right over the house.  Old vs new.

Edit actually thinking back I it I think McChord had 141s that the c-17 s replaced so corrected my post
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/eYstq_zCVLI

This brought back tons of memories as a kid, San Antonio in the 80's and 90s
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
sduring the surge how busy was the flight schedule? whats the weirdest cargo you ever transported?

View Quote

Uhm, depends every surge is different. Crew Chiefs have different schedules than aircrew.

The surge I flew Crew Chiefs would spend 42 hours on the road then 24 hours off.
we would fly down range and back with the aircraft, which fucking sucked. Aircrew would fly down range and go sleep in the tents and the crews would rotate off the aircraft and the aircraft would keep moving while we stayed with the aircraft.

As far as cargo, what I thought was cool was we carried like a dozen or so of those spec ops 4 razr 4x4 that have the mounted 240b's on them. You seem them in pics with SOF.

Also I launched aircraft with the patriot missles on them that toppled the gadaffi regime
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

two different engines.

View Quote

Why do/did the C-5Bs (I assume) sit on the runway with the engines at a part-power setting for a minute or so prior to firewalling them for take-off?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Those things howl over my house when they come into PDX, I love it!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Watching those fat fuckers takeoff is nerve racking. We had a couple that were loaded to the max that we didn't think were going to make it off the runway. Of course they did, but being on the ground it appears like the plane is going 2 miles an hour. Truly an amazing sight and an engineering marvel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#41]
The old Bs have, like old 747s/707s have sucker doors, although I've been told here that the C-5s function differently.

Noise? Should have been around in the 1960s, when the 707s/DC-8s/Convairs were around. 30 miles away you could hear those taking off.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

two,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

two,

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I lived on the north end of McConnell AFB for a while back in the 80's &90's. I remember the C5's having a kind of buzz when going over, kinda thought it sounded cool.

On the other hand when we had B1's stationed here and did "alert starts", that would really get your attention!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Always love me some jet engine videos!   The physics of flight are just amazing in a plane that big too.

The engine noises come from a lot of sources.  Generally the high pitch whine you'll be hearing is from the "blade pass" noise which is the various compressor and turbine blades passing a stator vane in that stage.   In the first picture I show below, you can see these stator vanes in between each row of rotating blades.   It sounds funny, but its similar to the phenomenon you get when you talk into a box fan in your house.   That generally doesn't change the pitch of your voice, but if you have a fast enough fan it can sound higher pitch.   The "growl" we're all used to hearing, especially on the newer ultra high bypass fans is actually blade tip noise, as you start to have the blade tips going super sonic.  So just like a prop airplane has prop noise, as does a helicopter, you also here that on a jet engine.

You can also hear the sounds of a rotating shaft at several thousand RPM.   You'll get all sorts of natural frequencies, and sounds from bearings, etc. running at speed.   If you are used to hearing turbocharged engines, you can usually tell the difference in sound on a turbo with ball bearings vs. a turbo with fully lubricated bushings.   The ball bearing turbo usually has a more oscillating noise vs. a more constant whine.

This is a more conventional "Turbo jet" like you'd see in a fighter or some of the earlier jet airliners.  As commercial aviation and heavy lift aviation gained ground in the jet age you still had this type of engine but with a bypass stage on the front (smaller than shown below)

Most of the jet engines on commercial aircraft have a relatively small core stage and have some pretty huge (or YUUUGE) bypass stages that provide a majority of the thrust.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#45]
It's a common misconception that the C-5's engines are loud; in fact they are
almost silent--the whine that is heard originates from the crews...
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why do/did the C-5Bs (I assume) sit on the runway with the engines at a part-power setting for a minute or so prior to firewalling them for take-off?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

two different engines.

the c-5bs produce less thrust, so do Whats called a standing TRT which is when they set the aircraft brakes, bring the engines to max power and then release the breaks and " launch"

its so they maximize power without wasting runway space.

the m models do this, but it isnt necessary. the b models needed to do that because if they were full of cargo they needed a fuck ton of runway to take off
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

a truer statement has never been said, that combines with the whine from the c17 inroute maintainers who dont know how to work a plane that breaks
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

...while they're stuck in Rota.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Are they a completely different type of engine, or is it just a characteristic that happens to occur with that model engine?  

they used to do touch and goes all day long at Wright Patt, up until about 5 years ago.  You could always tell they were about to come over head, with about 5 minutes to spare.  My house was at the east end of their flight turn around loop, so they were steeply banked and very low (1000 feet?) as they passed directly overhead.  I enjoyed watching them.

https://youtu.be/e9v-8W4LxuI

View Quote

It's the chemtrail generators.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top