Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2015 12:27:03 PM EDT
I will be moving back to the States in a few months and will be signing up with one or the other once I return.

I have used both in the past and never really had an issue with either but it's been about 2 years since then.

I'm staring to look at the packages they have and the "special offers" and don't really see much of a difference between the two.

I'm a pretty big sports fan and not really interested in movie channels. I spend most of my time on ESPN, Fox sports, MLB Network, NBA, College Football (Pac 12),  Discovery, History, Nat Geo, Speed, Spike, FX, A&E, TNT, TLC.

Just need a DVR in a couple of rooms and HD everywhere.  Total of about 5 TV's.

Not looking for trying to find everything on the net, I'm fine with paying ~$100 month to get most/all the shows and channels I want.

Any suggestions on which one to go with and why?  

I appreciate any helpful responses, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
DirectTV has NFL. They're both retardedly expensive. Unless you have a need for a specific NFL team or sports stuff I don't think it's worth it. I've been rocking the OTA HD channels, Netflix, and Amazon Prime for years now. I don't miss my $120 a month DishNetwork bill at all.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
www.satelliteguys.us has forums for both and would give you the inside scoop.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had both. I prefer DirectTv.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DirectTV has NFL. They're both retardedly expensive. Unless you have a need for a specific NFL team or sports stuff I don't think it's worth it. I've been rocking the OTA HD channels, Netflix, and Amazon Prime for years now. I don't miss my $120 a month DishNetwork bill at all.
View Quote

Yeah I hear ya, since I've been overseas for the last year and a half I have been doing Netflix and doing Torrents and I honestly would rather go back to Satellite.  I think a big part of it is the sports that i love to watch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
www.satelliteguys.us has forums for both and would give you the inside scoop.
View Quote

Cool, i'll check it out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any particular reason why, customer service, user interface, channel line up, cost???
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It's really gonna come down to what channels you want. I suggest making a list o the channels you really want the. Print out the package tiers and see whic better matches your list. Don't forget that SOME channels can be acquired a la cart. For example The Outdoor Channel on DirecTV is usually only part of the premium package (something like an additional $30) but you can add JUST it for like $5.

ETA: in m experience Directv seems to jerk you around less. They DO have this really irritating habit of forcing you to take "trial periods" of packages even after adamantly declining them and then charge you when the deal expires.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's really gonna come down to what channels you want. I suggest making a list o the channels you really want the. Print out the package tiers and see whic better matches your list. Don't forget that SOME channels can be acquired a la cart. For example The Outdoor Channel on DirecTV is usually only part of the premium package (something like an additional $30) but you can add JUST it for like $5.
View Quote

Good suggestion, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer Directv.  Also, dish recently cancelled Fox News channel.  So go with DirecTV and don't look back.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
One has PAC 12 and the other doesn't.  At least that was the case a month ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I prefer Directv.  Also, dish recently cancelled Fox News channel.  So go with DirecTV and don't look back.
View Quote

Did they cancel it or in the process of renegotiating?  It seems both companies have been going back and forth with networks trying to get better pricing and some channels were temporarily canceled.  No Fox News would be a deal breaker for me though.  I'm not a hardcore Fox News guy but I like to be able to watch the different news networks from time to time to see how topics are being spun depending on their agenda.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One has PAC 12 and the other doesn't.  At least that was the case a month ago.
View Quote

You're right, just looked it up and Direct TV is in a standoff with the PAC 12 Network and does not carry it right now.  That can always change though.  I would be pissed though I was with Direct TV and that happened.  Hmmmmmm, might have to go with Dish because College Football is my favorite sport to watch and the PAC 12 is where it's at!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Any particular reason why, customer service, user interface, channel line up, cost???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd been with Dish for ten years. I wanted to upgrade my system. Called dish since they were advertising HD upgrades to new customers at no charge and intro rates that were very attractive. Basically they told me to pack sand. Since I was an established customer I would have to pay for everything at retail price. I did not want it for free and was willing to pay the service call and a reasonable upgrade fee but they were firm that loyalty meant nothing.

I called DirectTv since I was not under obligation to Dish any longer and could cancel at any time. DirectTv installed a new dish, 2 HD receivers and two regular receivers at no cost. I now had more channels and my monthly bill was less than Dish.

I called Dish to cancel service. Now they were more than happy to try and cut a deal. I told the to pack sand and shipped them their LNB back along with their receivers.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I got rid of dish because my bill was never the same.  AND Trying to get ahold of someone to ask about it was a pain.        Went to Direct TV.  I watch Fox alot , without that theres news I would never see.                                                                                   Id be happy with Fox and my local antenna channels.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
We've had both, DirecTv is better because of the channel line up.  That being said it's gotten too expensive for 99% crap on most channels.  We're going antennae + internet after our contract is up next month.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to sell for both.  DirecTV is by far better than Dish.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Whichever one you choose just do this.  Take the 12 month promotional price and run with it.  After 12 months call and bitch about your bill being too high and tell them that you want to cancel because the competitor is cheaper.  They will either lower your bill, give you more free channels or if you really push it, both.  I call DirecTv about once a year and usually end up with free NFL package plus I have a permanent $20 credit each month.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm a directv installer. If you have any install related questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I use both and prefer Dish.
In my opinion Dish has far superior hardware and for me better programming packages for my viewing tastes.

Video quality wise, I can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Not usually mentioned, but...

Azimuth to talk to satellites.  Dish Network has their dishes pointed at a lower angle than DirectTV here.  If trees/buildings/mountains are an issue, angle of the dish may be of concern.

ETA: I use Dish, and I think their DVR is the best around!  I've tried a lot of other systems that friends have, and I think Dish is better.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I love sports. Directv is definitely the way to go for the best sports packages/programming.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#25]
In pretty sure dish dropped Fox News the other day over some retarded liberal gayness. At least I think they did
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'd been with Dish for ten years. I wanted to upgrade my system. Called dish since they were advertising HD upgrades to new customers at no charge and intro rates that were very attractive. Basically they told me to pack sand. Since I was an established customer I would have to pay for everything at retail price. I did not want it for free and was willing to pay the service call and a reasonable upgrade fee but they were firm that loyalty meant nothing.

I called DirectTv since I was not under obligation to Dish any longer and could cancel at any time. DirectTv installed a new dish, 2 HD receivers and two regular receivers at no cost. I now had more channels and my monthly bill was less than Dish.

I called Dish to cancel service. Now they were more than happy to try and cut a deal. I told the to pack sand and shipped them their LNB back along with their receivers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Whichever one you choose just do this.  Take the 12 month promotional price and run with it.  After 12 months call and bitch about your bill being too high and tell them that you want to cancel because the competitor is cheaper.  They will either lower your bill, give you more free channels or if you really push it, both.  I call DirecTv about once a year and usually end up with free NFL package plus I have a permanent $20 credit each month.
View Quote

I used to do the same with my ISP.  Will do the same eventually with whoever I go with.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm a directv installer. If you have any install related questions I'd be happy to answer them.
View Quote

What's the most receivers you have installed in one residence?  

Out of curiosity is there still any devices that can be used to get more content for your money or have the companies gotten smarter with technology to avoid it?  I remember years ago people were selling programmed cards that went into the receiver and you would get everything.  I never did it myself but had a couple friends that did but they had to keep having the cards reprogrammed because they would get "zapped" from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Azimuth to talk to satellites.  Dish Network has their dishes pointed at a lower angle than DirectTV here.  If trees/buildings/mountains are an issue, angle of the dish may be of concern.

ETA: I use Dish, and I think their DVR is the best around!  I've tried a lot of other systems that friends have, and I think Dish is better.
View Quote

Never heard this but will look into it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
directtv likes to play games with rates. if you call them every few months they WILL give you new incentives and deals to lower your bill.

if you want to stream your dvr, dish is the only one with the capability currently. directv does off some limited streaming to devices off your home network.

Dish is a horrible company for service and to be frank one of the most dishonest i have ever dealt with. i moved to directv after having several replacement dvrs fail during a 6 month period. when closing my account their policy is to allow you 30 days to return the receiver. at 30 days they charge you for the box. in my case 350.00. the problem is they wait 31 days to send the return kit to return the receiver to them. once i finally got it, it took 90+ days to get the charges refunded. Looking around this is a VERY common complaint with people that leave dish. It's so common there are entire sites and bloges dedicated to the problem.

Directv so far have been very upfront and good to deal with. techs show up on time and do good work. Directv does like to nickle and dime you to death on charges though. they will give tons of discounts short term which will really jack your bill up when they expire if your not watching it. That said, if you keep an eye on your bill a 10 min phone call will result in another set of deals. i do this 2-3 ties a year and it keeps my 2nd from the top channel package with all movie chanells at around 120.00 month for a yearly average.

Picture quality is good on both with a slight edge going to directv if your a quality nut. i have the wireless genie and really enjoy it. i move the second tv box from the bedroom to the garage all the time.

overall i have been happier with directv so far.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I love sports. Directv is definitely the way to go for the best sports packages/programming.
View Quote

From what I've read on the net so far it is looking that way.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#33]
So far it looks like Direct TV is getting a lot more love.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In true ARFCOM fashion, I have both.... Prefer dish over DirectTV personally though there's not one clear winner as both are similar just different.
I'm not watching sports so that's not a factor for me. I don't watch any channels that are not HD.
Never had major issues with either, but both have come out on calls and work was done well for both.
View Quote

Yeah sounds like it will be more of a personal preference thing on this choice since both are pretty close on hardware and content but ARFCOM seems to be happier with Direct TV so i may just go the way of the Hive if there turns out to be no smoking gun on either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dish DVR's can be set to record all the prime time channels automatically. They drop off a few weeks later to free up space if one doesn't do it earlier. Don't know what Direct offers. When Dish gets close to 120 bucks per month, my wife calls them up and tells them she will cancel if it goes up anymore. So far, it's holding at about 118.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Dish has the Blaze, witch means Dana
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
This. Both will make you poor but DirectTv will make you happier being poor.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Dish has the Blaze, witch means Dana
View Quote

Love me some dark haired women!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you get Velocity, HGTV, Discovery Channel, Food Network, History Channel and the Outdoor Channel without satellite or cable?

I wouldn't miss my Dish bill, but I'd sure as hell miss my programming.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ETA: in m experience Directv seems to jerk you around less. They DO have this really irritating habit of forcing you to take "trial periods" of packages even after adamantly declining them and then charge you when the deal expires.
View Quote

I've had directv since 1998.

This has never happened to me once.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I think some of the issues are localized - I've always had great service with Dish. I've had them for close to 20 years at two different houses, and had no problems.

I did have to have them come out last summer when some trees grew into the line of sight for my dish. They charged me $50 for the service call, which included physically moving the dish to another part of my roof and consolidating two dishes into one - which I thought was a fair price for the hour and a half the guy worked.

And while he was here, he noticed my remote was a little rough, so we gave me a new one.

Last but not least, I've tried all the providers' DVR's, and Dish has the best IMO. Theirs are the only ones whose back and forward "jumps" are specific amounts of time - 30 seconds forward and 10 seconds back. That allows you to waste less time skipping commercials, since most commercials are 30 seconds. And their guide setup and record options are less complicated than the others I've looked at (Direct, U-Verse, Verizon, etc.).

Chalk up a vote for Dish.

ETA - The little pissing contest with Fox News is common in the industry. The channels try to extort more money from the providers and the providers push back to protect their pricing models. It will be resolved before long, since Fox doesn't want to lose a huge audience.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think some of the issues are localized - I've always had great service with Dish. I've had them for close to 20 years at two different houses, and had no problems.

I did have to have them come out last summer when some trees grew into the line of sight for my dish. They charged me $50 for the service call, which included physically moving the dish to another part of my roof and consolidating two dishes into one - which I thought was a fair price for the hour and a half the guy worked.

And while he was here, he noticed my remote was a little rough, so we gave me a new one.

Last but not least, I've tried all the providers' DVR's, and Dish has the best IMO. Theirs are the only ones whose back and forward "jumps" are specific amounts of time - 30 seconds forward and 10 seconds back. That allows you to waste less time skipping commercials, since most commercials are 30 seconds. And their guide setup and record options are less complicated than the others I've looked at (Direct, U-Verse, Verizon, etc.).

Chalk up a vote for Dish.

ETA - The little pissing contest with Fox News is common in the industry. The channels try to extort more money from the providers and the providers push back to protect their pricing models. It will be resolved before long, since Fox doesn't want to lose a huge audience.
View Quote

I will have to do some research on the DVR's since I used the heck out of them when I had them.  In my opinion the DVR was one of the best inventions in the last decade or so that made my life a little more pleasant aside from the smart phone.  Now that I think about, DVR's might have been around longer than 10 years now....
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had them both, too.  On a scale of 1 to 100 I'd take DirecTV by 1 point.

Had in the case of Past Tense; I hate and despise them both.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Directv dvr's will let you skip forward 30 seconds at a time and backwards 6 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I personally like Directv's interface and channel groupings better.

+1 on calling Directv (find the customer retention number to skip a lot of BS) once a year and bitching about the price or some channel they are in negotiations with.  They usually will lower the price and throw in NFL Sunday ticket (just be sure to cancel it after the season or it will automatically renew)
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#48]
If you live in Kentucky Dish has NBC, Directv doesn't.

No football for me tonight.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Had Directv and they fucked my billing. Said I owed for a month I had already paid. Even sent a copy of the cancelled check and they wouldn't budge so I went with Dish.

Neither really has much advantage over the other as far as programming goes so flip a coin.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity is there still any devices that can be used to get more content for your money or have the companies gotten smarter with technology to avoid it?  I remember years ago people were selling programmed cards that went into the receiver and you would get everything.  I never did it myself but had a couple friends that did but they had to keep having the cards reprogrammed because they would get "zapped" from time to time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The most I've ever installed was 10 but I've been in a few houses that have around 20 set up in a room in the basement. I've heard from my customers about those cards but everybody says they don't work anymore. Only other thing i can think of is theres an off air tuner (am21) you can buy from solid signal that will allow you to see the off air channels in your channel guide. If you do go with directv make sure the installer connects your hddvr to the internet so you can have on-demand channels, pandora, and youtube on your tv. Those are free as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top