Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2012 11:18:40 AM EDT
I have a Cat 226B needing tires. Little guys are getting bald. I foam filled the factory tires. I know I can pay a shop to cut them off. But is there a way to get these old ones off? Also where to get new tires at? They are a 10-16.5 and I have a tire machine that can mount them.

This skid steer has 5,400 hours on it and runs like a dream. Just needs some new tires. Thanks for any hell help.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Cat 226B needing tires. Little guys are getting bald. I foam filled the factory tires. I know I can pay a shop to cut them off. But is there a way to get these old ones off? Also where to get new tires at? They are a 10-16.5 and I have a tire machine that can mount them.

This skid steer has 5,400 hours on it and runs like a dream. Just needs some new tires. Thanks for any hell.

In GD?  You get what you ask for.

Have you considered a Sawzall?
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Sawzall.

ETA   10-16.5 tires for your skid steer should be available from just about any tire shop that deals in ag/commercial/industrial tires. Very common size.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you Sawzall the tire bead? With it being foam filled, it won't pop off to get to and saw.

And thanks for the Hell.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Sawzall a chunk out of it and peal/pry it off. Not easy but it can be done.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Fire.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Get as close to the bead as you can with the Sawzall, and then cut the bead with cable cutters?  I have no idea if that would actually work...
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut the sidewalls close to the tread.  Then hack out the foam and a  regular tire machine will unseat the beads, then the beads can be pulled off the rim.  Hit the rim with a fiber brush to remove foam in the bead seat area and mount new tires.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Any tire shop can take them off... If you have a machine you can do it, the foam will crush.  Anyplace that sells implement tires sells skidsteer tires.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any tire shop can take them off... If you have a machine you can do it, the foam will crush.  Anyplace that sells implement tires sells skidsteer tires.

I'm not so sure the foam will crush under the tire machine.

Here's a pic of the little guy.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Tires should be easy to get, as others have stated they're fairly common.

Any decent tire shop should be able to get the old ones off, despite the foam.  

Just look into a set of solids next time instead of the foam filled ones.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Ours are 24 ply hell i dont even knpw if they still have air in them... I have not checked the air in two years
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tires should be easy to get, as others have stated they're fairly common.

Any decent tire shop should be able to get the old ones off, despite the foam.  

Just look into a set of solids next time instead of the foam filled ones.  

Ya. They will get them off and a new set on for $2,800.00 and that's a bit much.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]

SAMs club

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

SAMs club

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 216 b cat, great machine they are . Take it to  atire shop have the deal with it save your back and your time and spend the money on cat brand tires they just last longer.  

Jaime
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a 216 b cat, great machine they are . Take it to  atire shop have the deal with it save your back and your time and spend the money on cat brand tires they just last longer.  

Jaime

I know it will be a bit of work. I hate paying someone to do tires when I have a tire machine in my shop. Are car tires better than aftermarket?
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ya. They will get them off and a new set on for $2,800.00 and that's a bit much.

Tires have gotten expensive, ESPECIALLY for construction equipment.  This is due to the increased demand cause by folks putting off needed rebuilds, replacement at appropriate intervals, and the purchase of new equipment.  

I just paid $2600 installed EACH for 17.5R25's.  Times 6 for each machine.  Times 5 machines.    And I've got to get a couple sets of 16R24's and 20.5R25's socked away and those are looking to be much worse. . . .

The other side of the coin is this:

That $2800 also covers you in the event the rims get damaged.  If you do it yourself, and you damage or destroy the bead, you're out the cost of the rim, and the machines down until its fixed.  If they FUBAR it, its on them.  
Cheap insurance.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top