Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2011 6:13:30 PM EDT
I need a burner.  Something cheap, with a cheap plan, and nationwide reception.  What's good?  Walmart?  Boost?  Radio Shack?  Or are they all equally shitty and just go with what's cheapest?  
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I need a burner.  Something cheap, with a cheap plan, and nationwide reception.  What's good?  Walmart?  Boost?  Radio Shack?  Or are they all equally shitty and just go with what's cheapest?  

I use a Tracfone it was $20 and runs me about $100/year of course I don't use it much.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Tracfone looks like it might be a winner.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Stringer Bell would be the one to ask.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 3:23:21 AM EDT
[#4]
What's a "burner"?  I've never heard that term in this context.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 3:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Untraceable cell phone.  Your name is not associated with the phone number.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, gotcha.  So long as you buy the phone and airtime cards with cash, I guess they never would have your information.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, gotcha.  So long as you buy the phone and airtime cards with cash, I guess they never would have your information.

Mostly it's drug dealers who use burners.  Use the phone for a while, and then toss it before anybody gets wise.  

I just want a throw away cell phone I can use so I don't have to give out my real number to people.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mostly it's drug dealers who use burners.  Use the phone for a while, and then toss it before anybody gets wise.    

I just want a throw away cell phone I can use so I don't have to give out my real number to people.  

IM sent about some "product".

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:13:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Activated or recharged online? IP trace.

Cameras in store where purchased?

Phone left on someplace where your person can be cross-referenced? (CC purchase, etc)

Burner smart phone and you checked personal email? (Choke yourself.)

Lots of different ways to vicariously tie you to a cell phone if they have the #. According to intel I've received however, most Backpage hookers don't have this tech. Yet. So you should be GTG. For now.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use a Tracfone it was $20 and runs me about $100/year of course I don't use it much.  

That is what I went with.

I went to Radio Shack. They had a basic TracFone phone on sale and after a 1 year double min plan and the double min phone itself I got 1 year- 3 months with 830 minutes (no recharge for that amount of time unless i run out of minutes) for $111.00 OTD. I can't say if the other flavors/locations are better or not but it was/is less hassle for me and the phone has worked everywhere I've tried it so-far.

My usage is less than 10 min per month on average so I could have got by with far less plan wise but I don't have to mess with the recharge thing. The down side is if i lose/break the phone then the min are not transferable.

EDIT.....I did not realize it was for secret squirrel use.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In that case, just use Google Voice.  It's awesome for that.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Phone left on someplace where your person can be cross-referenced? (CC purchase, etc)

Lots of different ways to vicariously tie you to a cell phone if they have the #. According to intel I've received however, most Backpage hookers don't have this tech. Yet. So you should be GTG. For now.

Activate it online at an Open wifi point with a "burner" laptop. Or go to the public library.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#13]
If you really want it untracible buy it in one of the little corner stores that sell them instead of the big box stores, they don't keep video very long at all compared to the big box stores which store it for quite a while. It will cost you more but that is the best way to buy it yourself. If you are really paranoid you can pay someone you don't know to buy it but then you have to figure out a way to stay off cammera and still make sure you don't get ripped off.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Activate it online at an Open wifi point with a "burner" laptop. Or go to the public library.

Most of them you can activate just on the phone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If they REALLY wanted to they could trace the phone's serial number to the store where it was sold, then to the transaction number(they activate when scanned at the register) and finally to security camera footage of the buyer. So, don't use the phone to hire yourself out as a hitman or to sell(extremely) large amounts of drugs and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So i've got a time and a location that the recharge was done, public library's have cameras.

the open wifi point and an anonymous laptop might work, but you'd even have to take extra precautions with that if you want to be completely untraceable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lots of different ways to vicariously tie you to a cell phone if they have the #.

True, but you can buy prepaid SIM cards in Europe using cash and use with an unlocked GSM phone.  You can buy them from vending machines so you don't have to deal with potential videocameras in the store.

If you travel to Europe quite frequently, you can recharge them every so often to keep the number valid (or just buy another prepaid SIM with cash).  A Lebara prepaid SIM for use in the UK costs ten pounds.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top