Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2011 7:34:17 PM EDT
I was given this medal for a gift.  Was hoping someone knew more about it, I was told it was given out to several thousand people in 1939 to celebrate Hitlers 50th birthday.  Any information would be appreciated back
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]
oh...get that shit appraised
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't give you a penny for it
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool. I'd sell it personally.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]

C.117. Hitler 50th Birthday Medal, 1939.
           .835 Silver, 36mm. By Fritz Krischker. Obv. Hitler head l. Rev. Arms of Braunau am Inn, Swastika over 9-line birthday commemoration, Matte silver. Struck by Prussian State Mint, Berlin. Uncirculated.
Looks like 1 fetched $345 in 2007.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KZ2-XNecO2gJ:www.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/141869+hitler+50+birthday+medal+Braunau+am+Inn&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

If you look at this cached page you can see several examples and their realized prices:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_Q-ZHlCNmQEJ:www.stacks.com/Lot/Browse/518%3Fpage%3D70%26pageSize%3D25+Fritz+Krischker+birthday+medal&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Is it silver? If so, it's worth around $300.

Of course, what kind of concerns me is why you were given this as a gift.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have collected world war 2 stuff for a few years, my dad thought I would like it.  And No, I have no love or like for nazi beliefs, but I do find history interesting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think it's a neat piece of history.

Just owning it doesn't turn him into a Neo-Nazi skinhead.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

C.117. Hitler 50th Birthday Medal, 1939.            .835 Silver, 36mm. By Fritz Krischker. Obv. Hitler head l. Rev. Arms of Braunau am Inn, Swastika over 9-line birthday commemoration, Matte silver. Struck by Prussian State Mint, Berlin. Uncirculated.

Looks like 1 fetched $345 in 2007.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KZ2-XNecO2gJ:www.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/141869+hitler+50+birthday+medal+Braunau+am+Inn&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

If you look at this cached page you can see several examples and their realized prices:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_Q-ZHlCNmQEJ:www.stacks.com/Lot/Browse/518%3Fpage%3D70%26pageSize%3D25+Fritz+Krischker+birthday+medal&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was from the Franklin Mint
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to know a Jewish guy who re-enacted WWII as a SS Panzer Grenadier.

It always made heads explode when we'd be at a public event, and someone would be all "You're glorifying nazis, how terrible, you're terrible people, think of all the Jews!" and he'd say "I'm Jewish"

Neat piece of history.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I thought it was from the Franklinheimer Mint

FIFY

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was from the Franklinheimer Mint

FIFY

You gonna get it now...

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly people need to get their fucking panties untwisted.  
It is a slice of history, learn from it or repeat it your call.

IMHO there is no difference between having that or Roman coin or a  Byzantine coin, Honestly people need to stop OMFG demonizing history and historical objects like this.  
I do not see C&R guys getting peepee slapped for that k98 with unstricken roll marks, why do it to a curio coin.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't say it did.

I collect WW II German daggers from a specific maker. Even with that I can't picture someone handing me a Hitler birthday medal. Just struck me as an ... unusual choice.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

IMHO there is no difference between having that or Roman coin or a  Byzantine coin, Honestly people need to stop OMFG demonizing history and historical objects like this.  
I do not see C&R guys getting peepee slapped for that k98 with unstricken roll marks, why do it to a curio coin.

Man! Some of you guys sure read a lot into a simple comment. Who "demonized history" or "slapped anyone's peepee" as you so eloquently put it?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No shit.....jesus fuck.

The coin is pretty awesome....hope you keep it, OP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.....jesus fuck.

These threads bring out folks that like to bitch about things.

People get their panties into way too big of wads on here.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.....jesus fuck.

These threads bring out folks that like to bitch about things.

Boy, ain't that the truth!!!

Oh wait, that was what you meant, wasn't it?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed.
it should be appraised for insurance value since it is an item of historical importance.

though at the same time, i can also understand the desire to not touch it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Because it's valuable?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

maybe we should take all nazi stuff out of museums too..

its a damn coin and a piece of ww2 history... get off your moral high horse.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe we should take all nazi stuff out of museums too..

its a damn coin and a piece of ww2 history... get off your moral high horse.

If you keep reading the thread, you'll realize exactly how stupid your response is, since I collect some of that stuff as well.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But someone is very likely to give him a hell of alot more then that for it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#26]
My brother stopped collecting WW2 nazi medals because there are too many counterfeits out there that are well made,  and it is near impossible to tell the difference between a real one and a fake.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Look some people go autotard when something relating to uncle Adolph is mentioned or his lovable band of merry makers .

Personally if someone want to collect stuff from the IJA, NSDAP or RKKA era then more power to them.
I just thought some of the posts about selling it off and not touching it etc. were a bit of a double standard when the same people would be slobbering idiots for a Mosin , K98, Arisaka, or a Luger in amazing condition without battling an eye or a second thought.

But a coin or other rare stamped era item will get posts of not touching it etc.(that is the demonizing I was refering to)   It was a gift and a really well thought out gift by someone who thought enough of the OP to give it, knowing he is going to cherish the hell out of it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My brother stopped collecting WW2 nazi medals because there are too many counterfeits out there that are well made,  and it is near impossible to tell the difference between a real one and a fake.

This is why I havent bought any/ I want some but hate being ripped off.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You werent there for my Sister on my BIL ass.

I had to explain to her there was a dead Nazi on it, she went fluorescent (it took a second after hitting the switch before the light came on).

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit
I chuckle at all of the "oh no,it's Nazi so it's baaaaayaaad!"
Get a fucking life. It's history. Get over it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't say it did.

I collect WW II German daggers from a specific maker. Even with that I can't picture someone handing me a Hitler birthday medal. Just struck me as an ... unusual choice.

"unusual choice".... It was a gift, he knew I collected WW2 stuff, much better than a gift card, or clothes like most gifts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
. . . .snip . . . . . she went fluorescent (it took a second after hitting the switch before the light came on).

Never heard that one .

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Cool coin.

A good piece for your collection of WWII stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#34]
That is a very neat piece of history. I would defintely get it appraised, if you have no room for it in your collection.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I collect some WWII German things, like said above, you just have to make damn sure the stuff ain't fake. Alot of that out there.  It's history folks, we erase it, and it is deemed to happen again.  Look at it this way, we defeated them they are in some senses war trophies.....

Oh, and OP, if someone give that to me as a gift, I'd be very appreciative, nothing odd about that if you collect the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Could be worth some money.

One of my uncles was in the unit that was involved in securing the Eagle's Nest (or whatever the headquarters were for Hitler in the country) and took a photo album home with him.

He sold it for thousands and thousands of dollars decades later.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I collect some WWII German things, like said above, you just have to make damn sure the stuff ain't fake. Alot of that out there.  It's history folks, we erase it, and it is deemed to happen again.  Look at it this way, we defeated them they are in some senses war trophies.....

Oh, and OP, if someone give that to me as a gift, I'd be very appreciative, nothing odd about that if you collect the stuff.

Exactly. This stuff is important to keep as in the future, people cannot easily claim it never took place.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#38]
does the holocaust museum glorify the holocaust? or does it have more to do with the history?

I guess historic items are, well, historic.

ETA: your photo really sucks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Could be worth some money.

One of my uncles was in the unit that was involved in securing the Eagle's Nest (or whatever the headquarters were for Hitler in the country) and took a photo album home with him.

He sold it for thousands and thousands of dollars decades later.

There was a U.S. Army private who was with the first American unit that entered Hitler's Berghof in 1945.

While rooting around with the other guys, he went into one room and found, in a box underneath a bed, a gold and diamond encrusted field marshal's baton, which he kept was a war trophy.

I believe it is in a museum today, and before winding up there it sold to a wealthy collector at one point for something like $300,000.

I used to have a picture of the private holding it while showing it to his commanding officer.

I agree that this is part of history and should be preserved, and owning these items does NOT make you a "Nazi sympathizer" or someone who wants to "glorify Hitler."

I do have a modest Third Reich collection myself.  I stopped collecting some years back because, as another poster notes above, there are a shit ton of fakes today, and it is getting harder and harder to tell the genuine items from the fakes.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Look some people go autotard when something relating to uncle Adolph is mentioned or his lovable band of merry makers .

Personally if someone want to collect stuff from the IJA, NSDAP or RKKA era then more power to them.

I just thought some of the posts about selling it off and not touching it etc. were a bit of a double standard when the same people would be slobbering idiots for a Mosin , K98, Arisaka, or a Luger in amazing condition without battling an eye or a second thought.

But a coin or other rare stamped era item will get posts of not touching it etc.(that is the demonizing I was refering to)   It was a gift and a really well thought out gift by someone who thought enough of the OP to give it, knowing he is going to cherish the hell out of it.

Good bad or indifferent, that coin is a unique piece of history.  Nothing wrong with having a collection of such things.

It makes you a collector, not a sympathizer.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Never said that nor implied that.

I am supporting the OP and those that collect these items it is a preservation of history.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#42]
what does it weigh?

if it's .835 silver it could be worth something (in my view)
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Top Top